JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The boxer Mike Tyson mentions "every opponent had a plan until they got hit with a punch".
I think most random attacks where an average civilian has a firearm is similar. Bad guys are not expecting the civilian to have a gun (or they would choose another person) and the equation quickly changes when they are shot by any caliber of firearm. Choose the firearm you practice with, are comfortable with and are willing to carry.

Right. A .327 will also chamber more common calibers, all of which are more powerful than the. 22 mag.

Hands down, I would love to own that caliber, but the availability of ammo is next to nothing. It's total shame. And certainly, I would have to special order one through a local FFL. It appears to be a crap shoot for now. I suppose I could carry a snubnosed revolver chambered in .454 Casull and call it a day. But, then again, and honestly, I don't get obsessed with terminal ballistics as long as the cartridge meets the FBI standard of penetration. Believe it or not, Federal came out with a Premium load called the "Punch" which is a 29gr. flat-nosed bullet that will penetrate 12" or greater in ballistic gelatin straight of a 1 7/8" barrel length revolver. The .22 WMR will perform better according to what I have read recently. Besides, (common knowledge) everyone knows that a .22 LR is still a lethal round whether it is shot through a rifle or short-barrel revolver.

No on the caliber and no on a revolver for self-defense nowadays. Considering there are a ton of better options out there, it's a huge no from me. Both will put you at a disadvantage.
Not true, I actually see it as a huge advantage, besides people will carry what they personally deem as feeling safe. I think too many people get caught up in gun video games and are obsessed with John Wick movies, etc, etc, in which they try to emulate the image of such. I think it's a distorted view unless you have been in the trenches of real combat, or been a victim of criminal activity. Been there, done that. Your mindset is your biggest asset when comes to self-defense and preserving your own life if ever that moment of time should ever come. That being said, I think it's a grave mistake to think otherwise. But, as a firm supporter of the 2A, please note that I support your right to carry whatever you deem safe to carry in your region of living. Only you know what is best for you. In the end, I believe we can agree to disagree.

In closing,
I say to you... Don't mess up. Exercise your mind every now and then. Be sure to keep your thinking cap on straight. Never let the darkness extinguish the light that is inside of you... because you can kick some serious a** if you should ever need to. You own it. and you know it. Lastly, don't forget to smile, because you have the ability to let your light outshine the darkness that pervades in this cold and bitter world.

All the Best to you DangerDog

Sincerely,
LightX : )

Last Edited:
Carry an NAA every day to keep BLM away
1680129756396.png

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I like the fact that some of you challenged my intial thoughts. I certainly welcome it. It never hurts to get a second or third opinion. Whether you agreed or disagreed with my response, I learned some things about myself. I didn't hold back my thoughts, and I certainly wasn't trying annoy anyone. Perhaps, I will revisit your ideas and stances on conventional / center-fire self-defense calibers. As a result, I have chosen to get myself a .22 WMR. Take note, that I am not giving up my beloved Semi Glock 43. It's a proven caliber and will stay with me... Always.

I am officially leaving this thread now, but if you wish to contribute feel free by all means.
Stay safe. ; )
LightX

Questions back at you. Why? Capacity? You already own a ton of .22mag?

And why not .38spl instead?
Don't own a 22. WMR as of now, but will in the near future.
As for your question(s)... reliability, recoil management, quicker follow-up shots, and super lightweight. Caliber size is not a "huge" issue for me. lol. If it was, I would probably consider a snub nose .454 Casull for concealed carry. Shot placement is AND always will be paramount. Common knowledge says that everyone knows that the .22 LR is a lethal round, and that would include the .22 WMR. whether you like it or not I am assuming you agree with my assesment as most gun people do. My initial post wasn't intended to be a caliber debate. Any rate, I don't own a single round of .22 WMR, but it appears to be plentiful at this time until otherwise. I love the 38 Special. It's a very good round. Hope that anwers your question.

As I have said I have carried .22 WMR in five shot single action NAA 1 5/8", and in seven shot double action S&W 351 PD. I have bigger rosewood grips on the NAA, which decreases concealability but is much more accurate for me. I have fired many rounds of .22 WMR in a PMR-30 and never a malfunction with gun or ammo.

I was the first kid on my block to buy a new Ruger LCR in .327 when they first came out, it is now my concealed carry revolver of choice. I bought a lot of 327 Federal in the intervening years, and now have 1500 rounds of it left. I have a little .32 H&R Magnum too, , compared to 327 Federal thr H&R is almost gentle. I have a SS Blackhawk in .327 Federal also, an eight shooter, very loud and accurate. I like the round.

Hello fellow 2A supporters & NWF members,

I am serious and curious to know what the general consensus is here (FORUM) concerning the 22 Magnum for Self-Defense with respect to "Concealed Carry, Snub Revolver i.e. Ruger LCR and or S&W 351C. HENCE, not a Ruger vs S&W as to which brand is better to question. But, rather the effectiveness of the 22 Magnum.

I would like to know your opinion(s), thought(s), and or perspective(s).

If you know any good reads about this specific or related to my questions, please by all means feel free to mention them.

Feel free to elaborate.

Thanks,
LightX

"
I recently bought a SW 442 for a lite weight option. I wanted the 351c because less recoil=easier to hit target in rapid fire and 7 rounds sounds better than 5. You could get two failures to fire and still have the same number of rounds as a 38.

My issue is why in the hell does the 22 cost twice as much as the 38 version of the same gun? Like seriously is the aluminum cylinder cost them $300 more to machine or something?

Here's why a snubby 22Mag is effective for personal defense...
First, a said "effective", not "the best choice".
The snub 22Mag is VERY loud. If you must use it, the noise may scare your attacker into submission!
If the noise doesn't work, the belching flames might!
If you're lucky and strike the attacker with a well chosen solid bullet, then your attacker is in mortal danger because the 22Mag bullet will bounce around in the body, possibly in multiple pieces, and the best surgeons often can follow the path in time, or find all the pieces!
But the real reason to carry a quality 22Mag revolver such as the S&W351C as a self defense gun is because it can be easily carried concealed, even under light clothing, and because it can buy time to get to a weapon more suitable to the task, such as in your vehicle or home, office desk, etc.

If you are looking for an easy to rack semi-auto slide, Ruger has a 380 version of the Security 9 with 10 or 15 round mags.

My Sig p365 380 is very lightweight. I put the FCU in an lx grip and bought some 12 round 380 magazines for it. My wife can shoot it comfortably, but prefers her S&W M&P Shield 380 EZ.

Screenshot_20230331_143359_Chrome.jpg

Slightly different direction but related to carrying rimfire guns. My old department forbid rimfire guns as either back up guns or for off-duty carry primarily (from what I was told by the armorers) because of the unreliability of rimfire primers that are carried in guns, jostled about, day after day. Apparently, they found they did not go bang reliably unless the ammo was changed out much more frequently than centerfire ammo. No data or stats to back this up but knowing I've had far more duds from rimfire than centerfire, doesn't surprise me. That was a few decades ago so perhaps things (likely) have improved, but never wanted to tempt fate.

I've also heard of an officer unloading and re-chambering the same round over and over causing the priming compound to disintegrate and not fire as well.

Lesson: Treat your carry ammo well and change out appropriately.

. the availability of ammo is next to nothing..
I'd daresay it'd be possible, through luck, praying to the jesus and hard work, to somehow land a whole box of 50 of one of those five different .32 cartridges.. which could then be reloaded 30-100 times each. I have a batch of .38 brass that has been reloaded like 75 times with a firm roll crimp and it's still going.
There's no need to play the perpetual helpless cop-out game in all matters.

Yes, if it is .22LR vs .22 WMR from a dinky revolver. The .22 Mag generally has better penetration compared to .22 LR, and sometimes the .22 Mag expands.

No, .22 Mag is a nice round from a rifle, as designed. It gives up most of that velocity from a dinky revolver.

No, rimfire priming is not reliable enough.

No, rimfire revolvers have heavy springs to set off the unreliable rimfire priming, which makes it harder to shoot small revolvers and get good hits.

No, the low recoil advantage of .22 Mag belly guns is offset by the minimal recoil in .32 revolvers, which have better penetration & expansion, primer reliability, and ease of shooting accurately.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top