JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am missing, in my lineup, a good snubby. One could say that I've always made due with a larger package. But now, I need some help in being a tad more discrete - and I'm thinking, are small revolvers worth it?

38sp? 357? 327? Something else entirely? Ruger has always treated me well with single actions - what about the LCR? Are Smith's any good (new) or would you look for something older?

Anything you'd stay away from?

or would you look for something older?
Mod 60 Smith in .38 Special (or 36 if ya happen to find one while looking for a 60).

With regard to 'worth it' yes - as long as you have some good grips on it.

IMG_1736.JPG

Last Edited:
My buddy that used to be a cop likes older Smiths. .38spec Lightweight IIRC.M

My wife has an older Taurus 605 hammerless that has always worked flawlessly,, but it is heavy.

I had an airweight for a period, and it's one jumpy, flinch inducing little thing. Light 38spc was fine, but +P was miserable. I'd get a steel frame. I recently picked up a Ruger SP101.

If I were sans snub, I think the first pick would be the Smith & Wesson Model 36 Classic in .38 Special.

1676307246884.png

The Smiths we've acquired in the last few years have been fantastic.

Beyond that, it would be hard to go wrong with a Ruger. The one Taurus snub we have is fantastic, but I'd never buy from that firm again, and would advise others against said. Fit and finish is not as good as others, but I wouldn't rule out a Charter Arms.

Cheers. :)

Have you shot them? If not this is a good gun to rent first. As mentioned the air weight versions of these are not for everyone. Nice for carry, not so nice for shooting unless you are going to stick with mild .38's. In .357 they can be BRUTAL! Older Smiths are well knows for smooth actions if you don't mind the price. Would look to rent a couple of these things first though and make sure you really do want one.

If one wishes to go ever so wacky, there is the John Jovino Terminators. They took an Astra 44, shortened the barrel, normally ported, and slicked up the action. So, you get a 6-shot snub capable of firing both .44 Special and Magnum. I've read recoil with the latter is a trifle spicy. :s0165:

1676307599899.png

I have The LCR 357, smith 642, Taurus 85 and 856 both standard and ultralite, Charter arms Pitbull and some others. I carry the 856 all the time in pocket with hip grips but the LCR quite a bit also using a silent thunder OWB. I like the Barami hip grips for pocket carry but they are not available for all snubbies. Just remember that a light weight pistol will be jumpy but it isnt something you will be using alot and when you do have to you wont be noticing the jump and they are not a target pistol as some seam to think. It really depends on how heavy you want to carry and if you want 5 or 6 rounds.

Although mine isn't the snubby version, I'd recommend an SP101 if you're in the market. 5 or 6 shots isn't my preferred loadout, but they shoot great.

I'm a Ruger fan and like the LCR in .38 and the SP101. I avoid the +P loads in the lightweight LCR, and the .357 in the SP101. To spicy for me. Also have a 3" GP100 that hides easily under a t-shirt in an OWB holster.

I'm a Ruger fan and like the LCR in .38 and the SP101. I avoid the +P loads in the lightweight LCR, and the .357 in the SP101. To spicy for me. Also have a 3" GP100 that hides easily under a t-shirt in an OWB holster.
Both my GP100 and my SP101 have 4" barrels. .357 out of the SP isn't bad at all with that barrel length. :)

I've got a 642 and really like it. It's a bit spicy with +P's but very shootable. Mine visited the nice folks at Cylinder and Slide for a full tune up, she's a smooth, fun to shoot little gun. Best thing is in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, it drops in the front pocket of my jeans perfectly. Perfect for quick runs to the store, gas station, etc.

As some here said, the SW model 60 is great. It's a carry piece in my collection, although with mine, it's a dash 15 with the Hillary lock on it, but works great. Mine also is the 3 inch barrel with an adjustable rear sight vs the true snub nose with the gutter sights and 2.25 barrels etc. Try one out as these snub nose guns can be a handful and are notoriously difficult to shoot accurately without some training, particularly with .357 loads.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top