JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If everything that i've read in those articles is true then it was most definitely a bad shoot.
The names of those deputies will be released...it'll get much worse for them.
They will release the camera footage at some point.

Yeah. I've read the "Media" reports. Those reports mean absolutely nothing to me. All they are is partially educated guesses, with a bunch of flair thrown for flavor. I'm waiting for the official report from the ISP.

Terrible thing, this.

In support of the deputies....If I were in the position of needing to get people to safety, as in people injured in a car accident, and there were an aggressive bull attacking, I would absolutely be shooting said bull with whatever I had at hand, 9mm, .40, .223....Pea shooter! Which of you would sit and watch people needing help suffer, and maybe die?
It wasn't a matter of sitting there and watching people die. You have a 2500# animal,WTF would you want to just piss it off more? Make it more dangerous?
It needed to be handled correctly
THAT'S WHY DISPATCH CALLED THE OWNER OF THE BULL
it's their responsibility to get the training
So these guys were supposed to have some knowledge of livestock,but they didn't even have enough training to know to shoot the damn thing in the head......not the bodyo_O
This almost sounds like these two were looking for a gun fight,feeling a little froggy after the weekend.And stupid.Otherwise they both wouldn't have shot him
I'm thinking more and more these two were the punks that got picked on so they became cops
And if I was the Yantiz family,I would be having a PI on those two.See what kind of humans they were

It wasn't a matter of sitting there and watching people die. You have a 2500# animal,WTF would you want to just piss it off more? Make it more dangerous?
It needed to be handled correctly
THAT'S WHY DISPATCH CALLED THE OWNER OF THE BULL

So these guys were supposed to have some knowledge of livestock,but they didn't even have enough training to know to shoot the damn thing in the head......not the bodyo_O
This almost sounds like these two were looking for a gun fight,feeling a little froggy after the weekend.And stupid.Otherwise they both wouldn't have shot him
I'm thinking more and more these two were the punks that got picked on so they became cops
And if I was the Yantiz family,I would be having a PI on those two.See what kind of humans they were

Like I posted before, knowing the hell that goes with using lethal force, its not something a guy just decides to do because he had a bad weekend. I could believe one sociopathic guy, but two in the same bumville sheriffs office? If you wanted to kill people for the heck of it, why go through the selection process for law enforcement? Its way easier to get into the military. Some of you guys have seen The Departed way too many times.

If you talk to 100 use of force experts nationwide, they will tell you that most officers are often justified to draw a weapon way more often that it actually happens.

Don't watch TV so don't know what the Department is. (maybe my son builds the sets though)
But if the rancher was called to take care of the animal,the cops should have been notified he was coming
They knew what he was going to do,right? Use a gun to kill his bull
So he has a loaded gun,is about to shoot,and the DF grabs the gun? WTF did he think was going to happen? Idiot no matter what
Why would he stop the rancher from doing what he was called to do?
The guy who grabbed the gun was either a complete moron or looking for a fight.The second might have been just stupid enough to be a sheep
And it doesn't even matter if Yantiz called the guy bad names
And maybe he was just getting bored out there? Lost his wife or found out she ,well you get the point

I could believe one sociopathic guy, but two in the same bumville sheriffs office? .
While I am very supportive of good police, there are just way too many incidents for the last several years of once one officer shoots, the rest of the officers on scene join in, unload their mags & reload, and empty again - often to stop only one perp. Dozens of rounds fired. Mob mentality? Pent up frustration? Borderline psychopaths getting past screening?

I don't know, but I believe something went awry in training back in the 90's.

As to the "100 experts", that immediately triggers my smell test. If its like most things in government, they are in/were from law enforcement and perhaps have a skewed perspective from the get go.

These two dimwits add to too many others across the country that are giving the majority of good police who show proper restraint undeserved criticism.

Here is something interesting..

I was watching the video on when that guy was asked to come outside of that restaurant and he pulled that BB gun on the officers... Remember that one?

Well he was an idiot.

But what I saw yesterday was the body camera of the woman officer.

What struck me as an interesting point was when the other officer opened up on him and started blazing away... You could see the perp falling backwards while getting hit and being spun around face down.

So then this woman officers camera view shows the perp almost face down on the ground when she starts shooting. She didn't shoot when he was a threat, she was shooting after the fact and he was already struck with like 10 rounds from the other officer. She shot most rounds into his back/right side.

Tell me how a second officer at the location of this highway incident wouldn't have reacted the same.

Easy to see how one guy IF he had a bad weekend could easily spur the other to unload as well in a situation like that. Like dominoes.

If you watch the male officers bc footage, you can see her pill her tazer first, reholster it, draw her service pistol and open fire. That's what took her so long.

That was clearly a good shoot but I wonder if partners have each others backs all the way to joining in a bad shoot?

This was a tragic incident that should of been avoided.

I am the guy arguing for the LE usually but in this case I'm seeing the need for it to be looked at.

Rancher/Farmer it's pretty standard you take care of your animals and humanly put them out of misery.. LE plinking at it with body shots was doing nothing and it never was going to.

Seeing a huge tractor coming down the road and family member bringing rifle (which everyone so far has collaborated that the rancher didn't go down there with a rifle) I would assume that the two LE's would get the idea of what was about to happen..

Now I understand that maybe communication could of helped.. I've worked my own place with farm animals getting out and public service as EMS in a fast paced Urban enviroment. I assume that neither side had any communication about intent of rancher shooting his own animal which lead to what happened next... Sad loss of life and those officers will have to answer for what went down..

If you watch the male officers bc footage, you can see her pill her tazer first, reholster it, draw her service pistol and open fire. That's what took her so long.

That was clearly a good shoot but I wonder if partners have each others backs all the way to joining in a bad shoot?

A couple officers from a couple agencies and I were watching a house, waiting to see if a guy who had a felony warrant would show his head. We kept getting a call from an informant that he was in there. We waited and waited to see if we could get eyes on him so we could get him in the front yard. It was his grandparents house and we didnt want to give them a stroke or something. After a few hours, one guy says hes knocking. Sure enough, grandma says we can come in. At this point, out comes doofus from the shower, wearing nothing but a towel but holding it up behind his back. He didnt get shot. But he got tackled and most of us stood there like...wtf?

While I am very supportive of good police, there are just way too many incidents for the last several years of once one officer shoots, the rest of the officers on scene join in, unload their mags & reload, and empty again - often to stop only one perp. Dozens of rounds fired. Mob mentality? Pent up frustration? Borderline psychopaths getting past screening?

I don't know, but I believe something went awry in training back in the 90's.

As to the "100 experts", that immediately triggers my smell test. If its like most things in government, they are in/were from law enforcement and perhaps have a skewed perspective from the get go.

These two dimwits add to too many others across the country that are giving the majority of good police who show proper restraint undeserved criticism.

Its true though. A lot of training is based on mental checklists where "if this, then that". Once a box is checked, you can technically go to that option. If you watch a few videos on officers being killed, you can use those checklists to Monday Morning Quarterback why the officer should have been more aggressive. They can also be used to keep an officer from being prosecuted. Either case, the department can say the officer was trained, its not their fault. This happens hundreds, if not thousands of times daily where no one gets hurt so we dont hear about it.

There is a fine line between reasonableness, over aggression and complacency that you can never test someone for until it happens. Kind of like teabags, you dont know what you got til its in hot water.

Last Edited:
Well there it is! What say we all saddle up and go over there and avenge that ranchers death? Who'll bring the rope?

Nah, count me out, I'm waiting for the ISP report. Still!
I agree.
Like I've said before, there's been history with the locals and LE. The locals admitted it.

"Unless you're an arrogant prominent rancher....Again speculation, but who else would pull a gun on cops over a bubbleguming bull?"

My speculation would be that he showed up with a rifle fully expecting he'd have to put down a suffering, badly injured bull. Then. things went off the rails when it didn't need to be put down due to its injuries and there was a disagreement over the need to shoot it as a threat, and they wouldn't let him near to see if a familiar person would maybe calm it. Given the propensity for some cops to shoot a barking dog behind a fence as a threat, I wonder how much of a threat it actually was?

Whatever the final determination, my assumption wouldn't be to call the deceased man arrogant simply because he was a prominent rancher any more than I'd assume the cops to be arrogant because they wear uniforms. Perhaps if they had allowed the experienced stockman to try to remove the threat, things would have turned out better.

What I do know is that fear can make otherwise reasonable people real stupid real fast, and I am fairly certain that those cops were a whole lot more afraid of that injured bull than the rancher was.

Whatever the end story, my prayers go out to his family, friends, and to his wife in the hospital.
I agree completely with your assessment. The article I read earlier today said clearly the rancher was called to the scene and was ready to dispatch the bull with a rifle and some how a disagreement broke out and the rancher was killed by the officers, something stinks here ? We shall see as there were many witnesses and should be video. To assume this was the ranchers fault is not rational or logical, but jumping to conclusions without all the facts. Time will certainly tell as it always does and police are not always correct and screw up also. I cannot think of a reason this guy should be dead from LEOs, but as I say we will see how this turns out .

I all for waiting for the ISP or better yet FBI report but you tell me these days how many civvies with a legal firearm in their hands except 2A protestors survive an encounter with LEOs?

If they (the civvies) are lucky they get seriously wounded, usually it boils down to dead men not telling tales and the LEO feared for his life, so it was justified...will be the all too usual determination.

It LOOKS like a bad shoot and it sounds if the witnesses who have made statements that Yantis had AD when he was spun around and or shot. It will be interesting to read the final report.

Brutus Out

I all for waiting for the ISP or better yet FBI report but you tell me these days how many civvies with a legal firearm in their hands except 2A protestors survive an encounter with LEOs?

If they (the civvies) are lucky they get seriously wounded, usually it boils down to dead men not telling tales and the LEO feared for his life, so it was justified...will be the all too usual determination.

It LOOKS like a bad shoot and it sounds if the witnesses who have made statements that Yantis had AD when he was spun around and or shot. It will be interesting to read the final report.

Brutus Out
I dont see it as who survives at all . I think thst kind of thinking is not necessarily a good thing? The q

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews