JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've built 4 of these below.
I need to lined the wood to protect from dirt rot over time I feel. Would you use yard fabric? Roofing tar paper? Just want the wood to last at least 20 years. Remember it's dry climate here.

9A235DA7-3DB3-42ED-9F89-93E9E66A8691.jpeg 8F8F025E-6591-4483-BA2C-51DC5EA0DDB4.jpeg

Just out of curiosity what do you have as far as material cost wise. I am planning to do something similar for our garden

30lb tar paper installed with minimum seams and glue what seams you do have with black jack should do the trick with out empting your wallet.
P.s. nice boxes

With the angle iron and brackets and tongue and groove wood about $175.00 a box. But these are heavy duty. In town at a store it would cost about 600.00 or more to buy.

How about heavy black plastic?
That should work as long as it dont get a tear in it . Staples will make it leak . Plastic also causes sweat. It doesn't breath at all I had it damage a nice peice of iron. I live in a very humide area 90 + . I see your i. Idaho you should be fine with plastic. Could put a few small holes in the bottom of wood before installing to drain if it does get a leak

Last Edited:
If you're planting vegetables stay away from the tar paper and tar. Black plastic would work. Landscape fabric will allow water to leach through like Brian said.

How about heavy black plastic?

The thicker the better. If you could get large peices and put it in with no seams and over cut it to hang over the edges untill you fill . Them trim .you could probably do it with no staples or seams . Might last a lifetime if its good and warm its alot easier to work with.

That should work as long as it dont get a tear in it . Staples will make it leak . Plastic also causes sweat. It doesn't breath at all I had it damage a nice peice of iron. I live in a very humide area 90 + . I see your i. Idaho you should be fine with plastic. Could put a few small holes in the bottom of wood before installing to drain if it does get a leak
So the bottom of the bed is open. So it will drain good. Boxes are 30 inches high, so I would think drainage wouldn't even make it that deep. Reading on the www they say plastic will make it rot faster. Maybe I should paint a safe tar like material on the Inside. In theory I can easily replace the tongue and groove material pretty easy.

With the angle iron and brackets and tongue and groove wood about $175.00 a box. But these are heavy duty. In town at a store it would cost about 600.00 or more to buy.
Maybe 145.00 a box. Sure takes a high end drill bit to drill out heavy duty iron. Some of that iron has some really hard spots. That angle iron is crap ore

So the bottom of the bed is open. So it will drain good. Boxes are 30 inches high, so I would think drainage wouldn't even make it that deep. Reading on the www they say plastic will make it rot faster. Maybe I should paint a safe tar like material on the Inside. In theory I can easily replace the tongue and groove material pretty easy.

Or some kind of non toxic penetrating deck stain . Lindseed oil or ?

Those look really nicely built! Please be sure to post up a pic or two once they're lined and full of green things. :)

To add here, when I lived in Idaho I considered wood as well. I ended up using landscaping stones and then added plumbing from my sprinkler system to keep everything growing. I'll admit, your wood ones look SO much nicer!

Painted mine; two coats. I figured if paint could protect the exterior wood siding from moisture, it would work to keep damp soil from rotting the wood raised beds. Didn't want to use anything that would leach into the soil.

Painted mine; two coats. I figured if paint could protect the exterior wood siding from moisture, it would work to keep damp soil from rotting the wood raised beds. Didn't want to use anything that would leach into the soil.
Ok.
funny point. Over here in Idaho, at the dump, they bury everything at the dump. Excluding paint. I mean they bury it all into the mountain side. City folk would vapor look if they saw it.

Ok.
funny point. Over here in Idaho, at the dump, they bury everything at the dump. Excluding paint. I mean they bury it all into the mountain side. City folk would vapor look if they saw it.

Yup. I remember seeing that on my first dump run there. I was shocked to see it LOL!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top