JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Long story short, we needed a new roof so I hired someone I used to work with because I knew he needed the job.
He seemed to be in a huge rush at the end and this part just looks weird to me. Is this a normal way to split the direction of the shingles at the end of a ridge?
There also appears to be a lump in the roof at the same spot but it's hard to see in the pics

1000010426.jpg 1000010423.jpg

Were fasteners not used? That top piece doesn't look held down....

I'm no professional, only built 2 full roofs and partially shingled another but even I know that's not right

Long story short, we needed a new roof so I hired someone I used to work with because I knew he needed the job.
He seemed to be in a huge rush at the end and this part just looks weird to me. Is this a normal way to split the direction of the shingles at the end of a ridge?
There also appears to be a lump in the roof at the same spot but it's hard to see in the pics

View attachment 1861051 View attachment 1861052
Looks like some debris possibly got layed over. Pictures aren't the greatest. Is that vented cap?

It's a ridge vent. It's not the kind I looked at in brochures but he said we needed this style because of how many pine needles we get. The other kind that I see everywhere I guess would have gotten clogged

Also, were those "seconds" shingles? Ends of a lot look curled up. But again, could just be the picture.

They better be new. They all came in packages...
"Seconds" doesn't mean they aren't new, just that they aren't "first" quality as in home depot wouldn't sell em but the discount store would. I've never seen "second" quality singles but I'm sure they exist.

"Seconds" doesn't mean they aren't new, just that they aren't "first" quality as in home depot wouldn't sell em but the discount store would. I've never seen "second" quality singles but I'm sure they exist.
Shurway building products sells them. First few thousand packs in a factory, if they have any visual flaw they get rid of entire line.

He said
"That is the soffit transition where you have 1/2 cdx next to 7/16 osb. the ridge shingle portion will lay flat when it gets warmer."
Makes sense to me. I don't do roofs except in summer so I don't run into that particular problem, though I have waited until the heat of the day to lay down anything with a curve to it.

I would wait until it warms up then report back. It doesn't necessarily look bad too me, just not right.

He said he split the ridge direction there so the wind wouldn't blow it off.
That ridge runs almost directly north south.
The left of that ridge is the north end. Don't our big wind storms blow south to north?

Even cold shingles should lay flat when laid out on a slope. Just the sun we had here today in Portland would have been enough to have any roof seal.
I think the photo is too poor to make a determination -- makes the roof look crappy.

Seconds come with no warranty, but they will cover a roof nicely and likely last as long as retail shingles. What I perceive as the real disadvantage to seconds is that there is a chance you will not find peak and ridge shingles that match your color, and if you ever need to get repair shingles you're out of luck as far as matching colors. This is not a big deal, though.

He said he split the ridge direction there so the wind wouldn't blow it off.
That ridge runs almost directly north south.
The left of that ridge is the north end. Don't our big wind storms blow south to north?
The spring storm here that took down so many trees was a wind coming out of the northeast.
I have seen ridges all laid in the same direction, and I have seen them split - although it's usually in the middle of the ridgeline.
The worst leaks I've seen were (1) valleys, (2) poor roof peak edge flashing, (3) lousy chimney flashing installation, and (4) improper drip line laid at the gutter.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top