JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all, I hope this is in the right area. I've got a question regarding where to buy and what the differences are between buying online or from a local gun shop.

I'm looking at the Ruger SR22. My local gun shop is selling this for $550. On gunbrokers with the shipping and FFL fees it comes to around $350. Is there any advantage in buying locally? Should I just consider only buying online? Is there anything to be aware of, anything I should be looking out for if I buy online? Why is there a $200 price difference for this gun? That seems like a pretty big spread.

Where online? If it's out of state you will need ffl and shipping. Plus local you support local econmy. The price difference would be my decision factor.
Have you tried anything used? Why a 22. Why not something higher caliber. If for training and a first gun good choice.

I own that same gun, and I bought it for $389.00 at Barons Den in Eugene. At the time, the price was higher other places I'd seen it, but I was eager to get it and I didn't mind the extra money going to an independent shop.

1.) That's a great gun to shoot. I enjoy mine a lot.

2.) I'd hesitate at paying $550 for it. The only reason it's being sold for that price is because of the current climate of guns. But if you look around, or just wait a couple months, you might be able to find it for less. Shoot... MSRP is just about $400-425 (depending on options). So it's what they call in the car business "Additional Dealer Mark-up"

Or just go ahead and order it off gunbroker.

Which local gun store in the PDX area is selling it for $550? If you buy locally you support the local economy and the local gun store (lgs) itself which is good since we generally don't want to see them go away. However, the price difference you quoted is rather extreme. Personally for such a large difference I would buy it online. If you buy the gun from a reputable online dealer you should be fine.

If it's at Discount Gun Sales, go somewhere else, $550 is way too much (they really need to change their name to MSRP + 15% Gun Sales). I recommend Frontline Arms in Beaverton or The Gun Broker in Tigard. Both those shops have great prices and great people. Buying locally is definitely better than online.

Buying online or from out of state is no big deal if you have a good FFL. It just gets shipped there and you pick it up when it arrives. If it's a new gun then there are no surprises.

$550 is way too much, I say if they want to charge that much then why bother buying local. Find another FFL and have it sent there, at least they will still make something on the transfer fee.

I know your in Oregon, but as reality check on your price - we picked up an SR22 for $400 at the Vancouver gun show about 2 weeks ago. Then I saw 2 over at Brightwater Enterprises for $379 last weekend. $550 is way too steep of a price

Thanks for the info guys. I wanted to get the SR22 for me and my young daughter as a first gun to learn about. Soren, it was at Discount Guns on Baseline and 185th. I'll check out those two places you mentioned. Thanks again everyone.

Please go to any place other than discount guns!!! I would give Keith's sporting goods, NW armory, fishermans marine or the gun broker a call they will stock that gun for under $350 all day long!

$550 for a sr22? That's way overpriced. I picked up a sr22 brand new with a crimson trace laser for $430 less than 2 months ago from nwarmory. They usually always have a sr22 in the shop.

I dont know how oregon works but round here every smaller gun shop is basicly a car dealer. Sticker price means nothing. If they are asking way to much for a gun and you offer them way less either they will negotiate or get offended. And if they get offended over a reasonable offer then who cares, dont go back

Regarding the gun itself, there are so many cool choices avaialble it's almost mind-boggling. If you have friends who shoot, try as many of their weapons as you can. This will help broaden the possibilities - or reinforce your instincts about the one you like best. Of course, actually shooting everything is usually easier said than done. So at least handle them all in the stores. Feel them, heft them, grip them, eyeball the sights, compare them side by side. "Are YOU talking to ME?""

(I recently replaced an aluminum target pistol that had all the right features - on paper - but just didn't weigh enough for me at the range. Even at the gun store counter, a pre-purchase side by side comparison with the steel keeper would've saved me that exercize. We shoot and we learn.)

The price disparity? Can't say I didn't see this coming with Discount Guns as the thread unfolded. I've not been to the one in Aloha but I visted the Raleigh Hills store twice and left both times wondering how employees can keep straight faces with such insanely overinflated prices.

Part of me might be inclined to find a legit price elsewhere for the gun I wanted. Then I'd give the manager or the owner at Discount Guns one opportunity to beat that price by one dollar. No dice? Done there and never look back.

But another part of me (the part that prevails) would be adverse to helping any store that subscribes so blatantly to P.T. Barnum's business philosophies.

Please go to any place other than discount guns!!! I would give Keith's sporting goods, NW armory, fishermans marine or the gun broker a call they will stock that gun for under $350 all day long!

Don't know if they'd have it in stock (or order it), but I've also seen good prices at (and purchased from) Willamette Valley Arms and MK Tactical, both in Hillsboro, OR.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top