JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It has been the policy or law that you can buy a rifle or shotgun in an adjoining state. Which states background check would they use say you bought a rifle in Idaho?
I can't speak for Idaho, but as a WA resident I can purchase a long gun in Oregon as long as it's not semi-automatic.
This I have done fairly recently.
AFAIK, the FFL used his normal OR background check procedure.
And of course a handgun would have to go OR FFL to WA FFL before I could receive said handgun.

Bolding is mine. You can purchase a rifle or shotgun in another state.

Pistol purchases go to an FFL in your home State.

Private party sales area illegal across state lines without a licensed dealer. The only exception to this is C&R, which doesn't apply in Washington or Oregon.
C&R does apply in Washington state.

Bolding is mine. You can purchase a rifle or shotgun in another state.

Pistol purchases go to an FFL in your home State.

Private party sales area illegal across state lines without a licensed dealer. The only exception to this is C&R, which doesn't apply in Washington or Oregon.
My apologies. Guess the ATF needs to rewrite the statement on their website as I posted it verbatim. Kind of confusing. In any case a sale still apparently needs to meet the laws and regulations of both states, so you are subject to Washington "assault weapons" restrictions in Idaho. Is that not so, or am I misreading your quote?

My apologies. Guess the ATF needs to rewrite the statement on their website as I posted it verbatim. Kind of confusing. In any case a sale still apparently needs to meet the laws and regulations of both states, so you are subject to Washington "assault weapons" restrictions in Idaho. Is that not so, or am I misreading your quote?
Thats for the person to person sales. If the rifle or shotgun is legal in your state a dealer in another state can sell it to you.

No worries, and I apologize for jumping in fast. Misleading and inaccurate information can get us in trouble real quick.

I'm not entirely positive on the purchase of arms against your home State, as that's not something I normally do. Today said, if you purchase a king gun in Washington, you will be subject to the "assault weapon" restrictions regardless of your home State.

A lot of laws are piecemeal like this. One section can nearly contradict the other. I ran into this a bunch during a euro compliance project for a major software company a few years ago. I do not miss it.

No worries, and I apologize for jumping in fast. Misleading and inaccurate information can get us in trouble real quick.

I'm not entirely positive on the purchase of arms against your home State, as that's not something I normally do. Today said, if you purchase a king gun in Washington, you will be subject to the "assault weapon" restrictions regardless of your home State.
  1. A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer may sell or deliver a rifle or shotgun, and a licensed collector may sell or deliver a rifle or shotgun that is a curio or relic to a nonlicensed resident of a State other than the State in which the licensee's place of business is located if—
    1. ]The purchaser meets with the licensee in person at the licensee's premises to accomplish the transfer, sale, and delivery of the rifle or shotgun;
    2. The licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer complies with the provisions of § 478.102;
    3. The purchaser furnishes to the licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer the firearms transaction record, Form 4473, required by § 478.124; and

4. The sale, delivery, and receipt of the rifle or shotgun fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States.

I cut and pasted this from Subpart F § 478.96. It definitely states that laws in your state of residence apply to long gun sales in another state, so purchasing a "Semi-Automatic Assault Rifle" (Washington's definition, not mine) would require all the same garbage in Idaho as in Washington.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews