JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't be surprised though, if this P2P actually happens, that neighboring states either refuse to sell you a gun, or make you do the transfer in your state of residence.

I thought you had to be a resident for a certain amount of time in order to purchase?
I the case of a certain chain store……. I believe it's the closet city or county office (to the sellers address) that does the 4473.

I thought you had to be a resident for a certain amount of time in order to purchase?
I the case of a certain chain store……. I believe it's the closet city or county office (to the sellers address) that does the 4473.
Might be in Washington, not in Oregon yet....

Just remember, Washington considers a 10/22 an "assault weapon" so you're better buying in Idaho.
Doesn't matter where you buy it. The firearm has to be transferred to an FFL in your state of residence and they will follow the law in that state. If Idaho still allows person to person transfers without a background check it becomes an interesting legal because you are still "legally" required to follow the law in your state. Of course, what they don't know....

Doesn't matter where you buy it. The firearm has to be transferred to an FFL in your state of residence and they will follow the law in that state. If Idaho still allows person to person transfers without a background check it becomes an interesting legal because you are still "legally" required to follow the law in your state. Of course, what they don't know....
Please cite your sources; your post is completely inaccurate.

Interstate commerce allows for the purchase of long guns out of state at a licensed dealer.

Pistol purchases get shipped to your home State.

Private party purchases without a licensed dealer across state lines is illegal.

Unless I am mistaken this covers it.
Applicable Laws and Regulations: 18 U.S.C. § 921(b) and 922(b); 27 CFR § 478.11, 478.94, 478.96, 478.99(a), 478.102(a)(3) and 478.124(c).

You may not sell or transfer a firearm to a nonlicensee who resides outside the State in which your licensed premises is located. A person's State of residence is the State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State.

This comes from the ATF website: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/federal-firearms-licensee-quick-reference-and-best-practices-guide

Applicable Laws and Regulations: 18 U.S.C. § 921(b) and 922(b); 27 CFR § 478.11, 478.94, 478.96, 478.99(a), 478.102(a)(3) and 478.124(c).

You may not sell or transfer a firearm to a nonlicensee who resides outside the State in which your licensed premises is located. A person's State of residence is the State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State.

This comes from the ATF website: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/federal-firearms-licensee-quick-reference-and-best-practices-guide

§ 478.99 Certain prohibited sales or deliveries.

1. a.​
    Interstate sales or deliveries. A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector shall not sell or deliver any firearm to any person not licensed under this part and who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business or activity is located: Provided, That the foregoing provisions of this paragraph (1) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of a rifle or shotgun (curio or relic, in the case of a licensed collector) to a resident of a State other than the State in which the licensee's place of business or collection premises is located if the requirements of § 478.96(c) are fully met, and (2) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes (see § 478.97).

I don't think this thread is about person-to-person firearms sales.

Bolding is mine. You can purchase a rifle or shotgun in another state.

Pistol purchases go to an FFL in your home State.

Private party sales area illegal across state lines without a licensed dealer. The only exception to this is C&R, which doesn't apply in Washington or Oregon.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads