JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well I just found out to my suprise that I can cross the state line and sell someone a handgun at their FFL..... So my question is, can a WA person sell me at a WA FFL a gun, with me being an Oregon Citizen?

No it has to be transferred to your possession in your home state so it would need to be shipped to your ffl or he would have to drive into OR and meet you at one (at which point you could walk away with it given passed checks and whatnot).

What Joe said.

The key is the FFL in the buyers state - that is who must transfer the firearm to the buyer.

The seller has to somehow get the handgun there.

For long guns it is a little bit different; you can buy them at any FFL in any state, as long as the sale is legal both in that state/locale and in your state/locale.

Just be certain before you have someone from WA come to meet you at an Oregon FFL, that the FFL will accept private party transfers - some do not. Just call ahead to make sure it's okay. I know Tigard Pawn 4 More will allow private transfers from Washington - I'm sure there are more.

Somewhat related - enough, i hope.

I was in Arizona last year. Private party doesn't need FFL. Can I, then, purchase in Arizona private party without FFL, while visiting from Oregon?

Second - you say long guns can be purchased at any state's FFL. In Arizona, they had a big ol' book that showed some sort of diagram of reciprocity. It said Oregon wasn't in the Arizona list, so they couldn't sell long guns or any gun to an Oregon resident - except to ship it to an Oregon FFL for me. And if I remember correctly, Oregon law says you can only purchase at an out of state FFL if it is a state that shares a border with Oregon.

Uff. Dang, this all gets so confusing.

Somewhat related - enough, i hope.

I was in Arizona last year. Private party doesn't need FFL. Can I, then, purchase in Arizona private party without FFL, while visiting from Oregon?

Second - you say long guns can be purchased at any state's FFL. In Arizona, they had a big ol' book that showed some sort of diagram of reciprocity. It said Oregon wasn't in the Arizona list, so they couldn't sell long guns or any gun to an Oregon resident - except to ship it to an Oregon FFL for me. And if I remember correctly, Oregon law says you can only purchase at an out of state FFL if it is a state that shares a border with Oregon.

Uff. Dang, this all gets so confusing.

Everything you need to know is online through the ATF, but it can be confusing knowing where to look and what to search.

The answer to your question lies in a publication of the ATF for use by FFL's. The question you ask is answered on page 6:

Permitted Sales to Non-Residents of Your State

You may sell a firearm to a person who does not reside in your State by shipping the firearm to a licensed dealer in the buyer's State of residence and having the buyer take possession of the firearm from that licensee. The licensed dealer in the buyer's State of residence is responsible for the Form 4473 and NICS background check. Your A&D records should reflect the transfer to the out-of-State FFL and not to the end purchaser.

You may make an over-the-counter sale of a rifle or shotgun to a non-resident if the transaction complies with all the laws of your State and the laws of the buyer's State.

We recommend that you refer to the most recent edition of ATF's State Laws and Published Ordinances–Firearms, prior to consummating an over-the-counter sale of a rifle or shotgun to an out-of-State resident.

Source: <broken link removed>

Something to understand about government documents - the term "may" as used above, means that it is at the FFL's discretion - they may choose to sell or not to sell (in compliance with both state's laws, of course). "May" does not mean "shall" - "shall" means they must do something. So, in short, so long as the laws of the state you're buying in, and the state you're residing in don't prohibit it, you may purchase a rifle or shotgun from another state. It's my understanding that some states (not sure which), limit the purchase of long guns to out of state residents to only those that border their state. The ATF does not place this limit.

It has to be legal in both states.

If Arizona says it isn't legal because Oregon doesn't have reciprocity with AZ, then it isn't legal.

It really isn't that hard to figure out. :rolleyes:

Not helpful, but thanks for the humor, bud.

Everything you need to know is online through the ATF, but it can be confusing knowing where to look and what to search.

The answer to your question lies in a publication of the ATF for use by FFL's. The question you ask is answered on page 6:

Permitted Sales to Non-Residents of Your State

You may sell a firearm to a person who does not reside in your State by shipping the firearm to a licensed dealer in the buyer's State of residence and having the buyer take possession of the firearm from that licensee. The licensed dealer in the buyer's State of residence is responsible for the Form 4473 and NICS background check. Your A&D records should reflect the transfer to the out-of-State FFL and not to the end purchaser.

You may make an over-the-counter sale of a rifle or shotgun to a non-resident if the transaction complies with all the laws of your State and the laws of the buyer's State.

We recommend that you refer to the most recent edition of ATF's State Laws and Published Ordinances–Firearms, prior to consummating an over-the-counter sale of a rifle or shotgun to an out-of-State resident.

Source: <broken link removed>

Something to understand about government documents - the term "may" as used above, means that it is at the FFL's discretion - they may choose to sell or not to sell (in compliance with both state's laws, of course). "May" does not mean "shall" - "shall" means they must do something. So, in short, so long as the laws of the state you're buying in, and the state you're residing in don't prohibit it, you may purchase a rifle or shotgun from another state. It's my understanding that some states (not sure which), limit the purchase of long guns to out of state residents to only those that border their state. The ATF does not place this limit.

This makes sense...as much as law nonsense does, haha. The Arizona FFL using the term reciprocity is part of what threw me. It's not really a term that should apply to gun sales in this way. And i was focused on the black powder i was buying, so not really paying a lot of attention, but it seemed that they were telling me that, Oregon state law told them that it was legal, and Arizona law said no sales to Oregon - which was strange.
Meh. Oh, well. I just know enough to try and avoid it, haha. I have yet to order something shipped to me. Buying without checking is so strange to me...
But if I'm in AZ and find something I can't live without, i'll just have it shipped here.

Thanks, guys.

Is there a problem for a Portland Oregon resident purchasing a long gun in Washington or does Washington give you static.
4329842-7413419532-7318d.jpg

The only "benefit" to these stupid new laws is that if you are looking for a particular gun, there is no longer any reason not to look at ads from the other state. If someone in the Couv has something I want, I am just as likely to be able to buy it as a gun in OR. I used to only look at OR ads because of the FFL thing. But as long as an FFL has to be involved anyway, I might as well extend my search.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews