JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Keeping a "truck" long gun

• I keep a long gun in my car/suv/truck - out of view, but not locked up in a safe.

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • I keep a long gun in my car/suv/truck in a safe.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I am tinkering with the idea. Not decided yet.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Too risky.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Chances I will ever need a rifle unexpectedly are very slim. Not worth the trouble.

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Best choice would be/is: AR15

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Best choice would be/is: AK47

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Best choice would be/is Shotgun (can't be loaded in WA)

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Best choice would be/is a long range sniper type (like a Ruger Precision Rifle)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Best choice would be/is an AR pistol (legal to keep loaded in vehicle with CPL)

Votes: 30 37.5%

• Total voters
The "recklessly" loaded "clip" would be an issue. The pistol would not - provided you are licensed. The question then becomes, who has constructive possession if the pistol (AR pistol) is locked in a safe, and there are multiple people in the car, including friends and family?

I believe, anyone else in the vehicle that can access the safe (has the key/combo).

I take a long gun with me on trips on the very rare chance that I MAY have to walk home (Same with my get home bag and few people call that stupid), which will take days. In that scenario I want a long gun slung.

I get the grey man mentality but in my own experience, and it's more my personality, I like to carry a big stick and look like a hard target and never need to use it.

If I were going to some "bad area" then multiple pistols would be my choice.

I get that this is a debate but it feels like people are accusing others for being stupid for having a different opinion then they themselves have.

Get over it:confused:. Bad guys will get guns even if there was never another car break in for the rest of our lifetimes. If people choose to be prepared for WW3 then why chastise them? Most people here prep in one way or another for multiple reasons.

Exactly! I agree with you. If it's not you to have a truck gun; then don't. If you think like @Joe13 and I do; then do it.

I am definitely in the AR/AK pistol camp. While I don't regularly pack a long gun in a vehicle, I do so from time to time. As @Joe13 noted above, the further away I get from my comfort radius from home base, the more likely I am to carry a bit more protection. So on vacation, for example, I'll pack a truck gun. I don't have the locking mechanism I'd like yet, but I've got a spot that's pretty concealed and likely to be completely ignored in a smash and grab type of break-in (which I understand makes up a majority of car break-ins). So, if I have to leave it in the car, it is both concealed and secured and less likely to be taken. That said, I won't leave guns in the car overnight, anywhere, and I have no reason to.

What I like about the AK/AR pistol is that it's covered under my CHL in Oregon and my CPL in Washington, even in looney places like Portland/Multco. The bonus goes to the AR since I can break it down even further to easily carry/conceal in a very nondescript bag - the kind of bag I carry every day with a laptop, etc. - totally 'gray'. And you're not limited to some stubby 7" barrel, so you can get more rifle-type ballistics with a longer barrel and a pistol lower. Slap on the proper Sig Brace and you're good to go.

My issue during work is that I drive a company car, and I can't make any modifications to it for gun storage. So I'm left with a gun safe chained to the seat, etc. or taking it out of the car and inside anywhere I go (again, bonus to the AR pistol to be able to do this legally and easily). My main issue is if I have to go somewhere, like a courthouse, where I have to leave it behind. In those cases, I'm more likely not to bring such a weapon and only carry my EDC, which I can lock in a car safe.

To date, I've not committed to regular carry of a long gun in a vehicle, but it's something I think about from time to time. The AR/AK pistol option certainly makes the most sense to me.

Last Edited:
PCC 14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place does not apply to Oregon CHL holders. If the firearm or loaded magazine is locked in a safe then your non-CHL passengers are not in possession of them.

There is no right or wrong answer.

Every situation is different.

Use your best judgement and realize pill popping addicts will smash your window for pocket change.

There is no right or wrong answer.

Every situation is different.

Use your best judgement and realize pill popping addicts will smash your window for pocket change.

Camouflage is the key.

Stupid moonroof started leaking... did I pay $800 to fix it? Hell no! I used some hillbilly inginuity and slapped some duck tape on that sucker.;)

Now it's fraying off and makes my very reliable car look like a POS.

Loose a hub cap or two and never wash it and they won't even look twice at a smash and grab:p

Oh, and don't ever leave anything in the front of your car and transfer bags to your trunk somewhere other then your destination.

I've had to park in some sketchy areas and never had a problem:rolleyes:.

I don't have any plans to keep a long gun in my vehicle, but I bought a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 about 6 years ago in case I ever change my mind. It uses magazines and ammo that are compatible with my Glock 19 EDC and can fold up to fit in a 15" laptop bag. The last thing I want is for circumstances to dictate that I have to walk home without my vehicle while toting a rifle along the shoulder of the highway... I don't need that kind of attention!

I live in serious predator country, so a long gun is essential for me. My two prime rigs have locking vaults for this reason, and they are also hidden from casual view. I dont leave a long gun over night, and like etrain16 and Joe13 stated, a long gun is a part of a GHB any where i go. Im an hour plus from the big city, and its 3000 feet up and 45 miles to home if SHTF and i got to hoof it! And worse, there are no short cuts or cross country routes, its a hard road march at night in the sub freezing:( i dont ever plan to be that guy to take a stand or to go running to my truck to fetch a rifle, if im able to run away, thats what im doing, and taking my long guns with me wether its behind the wheel, or on foot. For in town, i carry my sbr'ed AR in a gym type bag as my fighting rifle, the rest of the time my truck gun is a full size fighting rifle of the semi auto type in cal 7.62X51 nato, or for rare needs, a lightning fast bolt gun in .30 u.s. 1906!:) Most threats i see facing are the sheeple during a SHTF event or the pirates or the more populous 4 legged alfa predators of the Grizzlys, or Wolves!:eek:

I carry a long gun, Savage 243, and a shotgun, model 1200, in the back seat of my F350 at all times. I also have a sticker in the drivers and passengers door windows that says "The owner of this property is armed and prepared to protect life, liberty and property from criminal attack. There Is Nothing Inside Worth Risking Your Life For! So far it's worked.

I carry a long gun, Savage 243, and a shotgun, model 1200, in the back seat of my F350 at all times. I also have a sticker in the drivers and passengers door windows that says "The owner of this property is armed and prepared to protect life, liberty and property from criminal attack. There Is Nothing Inside Worth Risking Your Life For! So far it's worked.
Most drug addled zombies can't read and if they can, it's dark half the time so you really should replace those stickers with some neon stick figures getting shot.
:rolleyes:

So from the last few responses I take it, loaded long guns in vehicles are not an issue in OR? Good for you. I'd prefer a full size carbine over an AR pistol.

These stickers have reflective images of an American flag and a 1911. Only the wording is hard to read after dark. After my kid put them on his Tempo going to school in Phoenix, he never lost another stereo.

I don't wanna be caught with a loaded long gun in any state. Especially Wa.

If you get caught with a loaded long gun here in Idaho, at least where I live, The worst that is likely to happen is the cop to tell you that you really should spend less money on fancy wheels and get yourself a good trigger and optic.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top