JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Keeping a "truck" long gun

• I keep a long gun in my car/suv/truck - out of view, but not locked up in a safe.

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • I keep a long gun in my car/suv/truck in a safe.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I am tinkering with the idea. Not decided yet.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Too risky.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Chances I will ever need a rifle unexpectedly are very slim. Not worth the trouble.

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Best choice would be/is: AR15

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Best choice would be/is: AK47

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Best choice would be/is Shotgun (can't be loaded in WA)

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Best choice would be/is a long range sniper type (like a Ruger Precision Rifle)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Best choice would be/is an AR pistol (legal to keep loaded in vehicle with CPL)

Votes: 30 37.5%

• Total voters
I have been tinkering with the idea of keeping a rifle in my vehicle. For daily carry, there is no need to keep your pistol in the car for extended periods of time, but you cannot really carry a rifle, for all practical intents and purposes. There may be occasions when your EDC won't suffice but a long gun would be very helpful. Pretty much for the same reasons that many cops have a patrol rifle. Of course, as an ordinary citizen, you will not be exposed nearly as often, if ever, so the question is, is the benefit worth the risk? The risk being that someone breaks into your car & safe storage device and steals the rifle, or maybe the car altogether. Note, in WA you cannot have a loaded long gun in your vehicle, so that limits your choice to magazine fed rifles. Curious what the thinking is on this board. The poll is optional. Multiple selections enabled. Thanks for your input.

I have done this for a VERY long time. The gun is tucked away where no normal break in is going to find it. If someone steals the car and took it to a chop shop it would be found of course. To me it's worth the risk. If it happens I will buy another. This of course is something each individual would have to decide if they want to do this. Makes me feel better knowing it's there.

Danger Will Robinson Danger!:eek::eek: Loaded magazine in a public place in
The People's Republic of Portland. CPL exception.
PCC 14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.
B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm's clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.
Oregon Weapons and Firearms Charges | ORS 166.220, 166.240, 166.250, 166.270

In my opinion, leaving a Firearm(long or short) in a motor vehicle is never a good thing. Especially, not in the State of WA. Short of the outbreak of WW-3, I simply can't imagine any use for a Long Gun. The only folks I know that do this are Poachers.

I think if your going about this as if you need a long gun in a shoot out by your car then that's absolutely not why I take one on trips.

I take a long gun with me on trips on the very rare chance that I MAY have to walk home (Same with my get home bag and few people call that stupid), which will take days. In that scenario I want a long gun slung.

I get the grey man mentality but in my own experience, and it's more my personality, I like to carry a big stick and look like a hard target and never need to use it.

If I were going to some "bad area" then multiple pistols would be my choice.

I get that this is a debate but it feels like people are accusing others for being stupid for having a different opinion then they themselves have.

Get over it:confused:. Bad guys will get guns even if there was never another car break in for the rest of our lifetimes. If people choose to be prepared for WW3 then why chastise them? Most people here prep in one way or another for multiple reasons.

Hell, I mostly take a long gun because it's like a baby blanket and helps me feel less anxious when I am outside my stomping grounds.

In my opinion, leaving a Firearm(long or short) in a motor vehicle is never a good thing. Especially, not in the State of WA. Short of the outbreak of WW-3, I simply can't imagine any use for a Long Gun. The only folks I know that do this are Poachers.
If you know poachers, you should turn them in. Valid opinion on the rest. Different strokes and all.

I'm not against taking a long gun on trips, I do it myself. What I don't understand is why someone would want to leave a Weapon in a motor vehicle? I believe that WA has an RCW that makes the owner of a Firearm, left in a vehicle, responsible for what happens when someone steals that Weapon and uses it in a crime. I believe the reasoning behind this RCW was that Dirtbags in general don't have Insurance nor much of anything else.

Do you have a use for a long arm or anticipate a need for a long arm in your travels?
If you do , then keep one in your car ... just be smart about it.

Have it stored out of sight...make it easy for you to get ... but difficult for a casual passerby to notice.
Be smart about where you go and who knows you have a gun in the car...Like it or not some places are more gun friendly than others and folks tend to blab...

Also no matter how its stored or secured...It seems to me to easier to steal out of a car , than from a house...Just something to think about.

As to what gun ....use the one you can hit the best with...practice loading it if need be.

This is one of those questions and debates that can have no end...as you can "What if" yourself to death...
Andy

I keep a long gun in my work pickup about 8 months out of the year along with a pistol, I live pretty rural on a 1 mile long private drive so im not worried about a car breakin at home - I work for a large farm that has predator issues as well as game and my elk and LOP deer tag have very extended seasons - 8 months elk and 6 months deer - Ive learned my lesson by being falsely arrested about concealing a hunting rifle (it wasnt concealled nor was any law broken- it was between 2 people) in a vehicle- my long gun rides easily seen unloaded in the back seat ready to hunt at any notice and my pistol rides unconcealled as well on top of the center console unloaded- mags for both are carried in my cup holders- If i need to visit a store for whatever reason i usually put the pistol out of view and cover the rifle with a coat or something- again were pretty small town and rural and I've done this for years with zero issues- I would use caution carrying a long gun in a area easily accessable to you in the vehicle hidden as that may be classified as a concealled weapon and earn you a free ride by a LEO.
Ill add my area is also under open carry is A OK.

Danger Will Robinson Danger!:eek::eek: Loaded magazine in a public place in
The People's Republic of Portland. CPL exception.
PCC 14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.
B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm's clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.
Oregon Weapons and Firearms Charges | ORS 166.220, 166.240, 166.250, 166.270
The "recklessly" loaded "clip" would be an issue. The pistol would not - provided you are licensed. The question then becomes, who has constructive possession if the pistol (AR pistol) is locked in a safe, and there are multiple people in the car, including friends and family?

I'm not against taking a long gun on trips, I do it myself. What I don't understand is why someone would want to leave a Weapon in a motor vehicle? I believe that WA has an RCW that makes the owner of a Firearm, left in a vehicle, responsible for what happens when someone steals that Weapon and uses it in a crime. I believe the reasoning behind this RCW was that Dirtbags in general don't have Insurance nor much of anything else.
The only RCW regarding leaving a pistol in a car I found was this one RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms. Don't see any verbiage about liability. Would you know which RCW you are referring to?

I'm not against taking a long gun on trips, I do it myself. What I don't understand is why someone would want to leave a Weapon in a motor vehicle?
I'll give you some examples: I drive my kids to school every day. Often I will also enter the school buildings to deliver some paperwork, pickup a book, or drop-off homework or lunches the kids forgot at home. I also visit other places that are off limits, such as the post office or Dr's. office. Therefor, unless I plan on going to a sketchy part of town, I am not packing. If something bad were to happen, a gun in the car would be helpful, because my car is mostly where I am. Why a long gun? Remember Columbine? The one thing officer Gardner didn't have, was his rifle. I am not saying there is a likely chance of a school shooting while I am in the vicinity - chances are extremely slim - but with that argument you might as well never carry (and many do make this argument). Maybe it's an esoteric discussion. I do like having a safe in my car, even when just transporting to the range. At least I can step out of the car while at the gas station and not having to worry about someone swiping it.

I'll give you some examples: I drive my kids to school every day. Often I will also enter the school buildings to deliver some paperwork, pickup a book, or drop-off homework or lunches the kids forgot at home. I also visit other places that are off limits, such as the post office or Dr's. office. Therefor, unless I plan on going to a sketchy part of town, I am not packing. If something bad were to happen, a gun in the car would be helpful, because my car is mostly where I am. Why a long gun? Remember Columbine? The one thing officer Gardner didn't have, was his rifle. I am not saying there is a likely chance of a school shooting while I am in the vicinity - chances are extremely slim - but with that argument you might as well never carry (and many do make this argument). Maybe it's an esoteric discussion. I do like having a safe in my car, even when just transporting to the range. At least I can step out of the car while at the gas station and not having to worry about someone swiping it.

A long gun in the trunk isnt going to make any difference in those scenarios.

Youd be better off starting a signature campaign to repeal some of these gfz laws.

I'm not for or against it. My opinion is if you want to then do it, if you don't then don't. I always have my carry on my person and another in a locked hidden safe in my truck with plenty of extra loaded mags.

99% of the time that will be enough.

A long gun in the trunk isnt going to make any difference in those scenarios.

Youd be better off starting a signature campaign to repeal some of these gfz laws.
Agreed on the GFZs. As for the trunk gun, it really depends on if and how quick you can get to it and who is in jeopardy. If it's you, then agreed, that gun is too far away.

I've had too much stuff stolen out of my car to consider carrying a rifle in my car. I keep a KT sub-2000 in an old computer bag under my desk at work. No one seems to mind.

(edit)
... or suspect. :cool:

Last Edited:
Agreed on the GFZs. As for the trunk gun, it really depends on if and how quick you can get to it and who is in jeopardy. If it's you, then agreed, that gun is too far away.

im not against truck guns just that the risk of theft is well documented as far greater than any scenario where you might be able to sucessfully retrieve any gun and return to make a difference. Your one of the good guys, if you are accepting the risk of theft then I encourage it.

The real problem we have is our right has been unconstitutionally legislated away, infringed upon so its no longer legal for us to protect ourselves with a firearm in common places.

By the way, you cant even have a truck gun in the parking lot of the post office.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top