JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stories like this are always sad.

Even more so, because the injury or death is EASILY preventable with some thought on the PARENTS part. No one else need be involved, as no one else is responsible for the families well being.

THEY ARE.

They should have the ADULT RESPONSIBLE fortitude to figure out what works best in there home, for there children, and guests.

They had the opportunity to seek out any and all education they wanted, most of which is available for the asking (community) and for free.

To lay there CHOICE on NOT doing so upon anyone other than themselves is rather insulting actually. Also a blatant acceptance upon being responsible for them. NOPE!

Sad story, tragic even. No one else is responsible for their blatant ignorance though.

Last Edited:
I agree it is the parent's responsibility.
I have not seen anyone in this thread advocating for the government to dictate storage rules, and yet so many people are getting worked up as if that is what everyone in the thread was championing. If someone said they liked Chevies would you yell at them because Fords are terrible and nobody should buy them?

If someone said they liked Chevies would you yell at them because Fords are terrible and nobody should buy them?

That's just silly. First you would have to find someone that actually admits to liking Chevies. Secondly every body knows that Dodge is better than Ford.

Safe storage of your firearms is indeed , very important.
What that looks like , may be different , for different households.
Safe firearm handing is also an important , and at times , an over looked component of safe firearm storage.

What worked in my house when my daughter was growing up was :
Teaching her safe firearm handling methods....
Keeping my firearms in a safe or otherwise out of reach...
Allowing her to look and handle my firearms whenever she wanted , under my supervision...
Teaching her the value of human life , and that when you have a firearm in your control , you also have the power of life or death....
Answering her questions about the above , honestly and with an age appropriate reply...

Would any of that made a difference for the 3 year old in the OP...?
I do not know...as he did not live in my house , nor did I know the boy.
Again what works for one household , may or may not work in another.

Safe storage...sure....Just understand that there is no "one size fits all" solution.
And , to be blunt...do not lay the blame of this or other tragic events at the feet of those who were not involved.
By this I mean , passing a law or requirement to keep and store firearms a certain way.
Making me store my firearms according to someone else's ideas of safety , will not help keep me or those in my household safe.
Andy

And , to be blunt...do not lay the blame of this or other tragic events at the feet of those who were not involved.
By this I mean , passing a law or requirement to keep and store firearms a certain way.
Thats what Im trying to avoid.

I want to clarify Im not placing blame on anyone not involved. I do wish all pro-gun owners would encourage all other gun owners to secure guns by default. Every time this subject comes up many people say they should get training and teach kids... I dont disagree, but its obvious many gun owners dont follow that so then a secure storage option would be best for them then.

Nobody in this thread is supporting more gun regulations. The topic how how do we promote safe storage with gun owners?
And here's how we do that. We establish minimum standards for safe storage in the home. Then we pass legislation that says that if guns are stored according to those standards there is blanket immunity for the owners of said guns from civil or criminal penalties having to do with the use of those firearms by others. If they are not being stored according to those standards then the owners are liable civilly and criminally, just as they are NOW.

No inspections, no registration, no government agencies required. Only when something like this happens do the safe storage standards come into play. If the gun was stored properly then no liability of any kind for the owner. This is the carrot, not the stick approach.

And don't give me the BS about needing to have guns accessible. I've timed myself. With a proper handgun safe it is less than 3 seconds from dead asleep to fully armed and ready.

"IF we could save just one child."

It started with "wishing". Then it was "telling" others (Post #7) and when it appears that some will be willing to compromise with certain legislation.

Isn't THAT the beginnings of the camel's nose under the tent?

BECAUSE (as I see things)......when the next "accident happens" (or whatever else you want to call it)......well, the bar will (in all likelihood) be moved, again, and again, and again etc.....

your-rights-end-where-my-feelings-begin.jpg

Aloha, Mark

PS.....it appears that even a LAW (think Post #27) has no real effect when it comes to firearms and emotions.

Pennsylvania court strikes down law protecting gun manufacturers from lawsuits

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
May 26, 2024 Oregon Arms Collectors
Portland, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR

New Resource Reviews