JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From what I understand, this does not fly for Oregon or WA state
In Oregon doesn't it depend on whether or not there are minor children or prohibited persons who might gain access in the home? I seem to remember reading that if the answer is "no", then a locked home is considered safe. But I could be wrong - haven't looked it up in a while.

My impression of safe storage laws is that a locked home, or car, isnt enough.... which is the point of the safe storage law.

I did not miss the OPs sarcasm and will note that its only the Democrats that passed laws telling us whats safe inside our own homes. I think thats noteworthy for anyone who supports the 2A as per our community guidelines.

In Oregon doesn't it depend on whether or not there are minor children or prohibited persons who might gain access in the home? I seem to remember reading that if the answer is "no", then a locked home is considered safe. But I could be wrong - haven't looked it up in a while.

My impression of safe storage laws is that a locked home, or car, isnt enough.... which is the point of the safe storage law.
Just looked it up. In Oregon, the safe storage law does not apply if there are no minors or prohibited persons in the home and the home is locked while you are home. I guess if the home is unoccupied, then the firearms must be secured.

With respect to motor vehicles, the law applies to handguns if they are in view of people outside the vehicle.

This is an interesting tidbit from an OPB article on the safe storage law:

"Backers of the new law, which takes effect three months after the Legislature adjourns this summer, said it will prevent accidental shootings by children, suicides and mass shootings."

Since they are already prevented, why do we need any more gun laws? :s0076: :s0092:

Automatic garage doors can be opened in seconds.

Just cut the rope off the garage door, actually fishing for the little metal catch is not easy but grabbing the string & giving it a tug is

Automatic garage doors can be opened in seconds.

Instead of restructuring a garage to thwart fishing for the latch, a plastic zip tie can be used to secure the latch. If necessary, a homeowner can give a quick, strong tug on the pull rope to break the zip tie, but a wire "fish" has insufficient grip & leverage to do the same.

Last Edited:
You may get in trouble by your home insurance company if someone dies due to a fire in your garage. If you the take the release cord off or secure using zip ties or something.

You may get in trouble by your home insurance company if someone dies due to a fire in your garage. If you the take the release cord off or secure using zip ties or something.
I'll take maybe trouble over my garage got robbed, anytime-- Anyhow you can still reach the latch if you're tall enough or have something to stand on, like a ladder--which can be found in most garages

Rrrrright......"safe storage" gun laws will prevent minors from access to guns. Thus, preventing a dangerous situation.

BUT, But, but......what happens when the "adult in the household" won't/can't act decisively in a dangerous situation?

Govt shouldn't dictate for YOU. YOU should be able to figure it out for your own household. That being said......

"Who's got your six?"

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews