JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wish the pro gun community would do a lot more to encourage safe storage methods and devices.

I wish the pro gun community would do a lot more to encourage safe storage methods and devices.

It appears that you've fallen for their trap.

Like the Camel's nose theory/story.

I'm for......
Keeping the Govt govt out of my home and keeping my privacy.

Aloha, Mark.

Very, very sad story. I think there has been a breakdown in passing down responsible firearms behavior in our culture. When I grew up we weren't bombarded with movies and TV shows that showed a complete lack of safety and respect for firearms. Almost every boy and many of the girls I grew up with took hunter's safety classes and most of our parents served in the military, so you never took the potential for danger for granted.

I'm for......

Aloha, Mark.

Agreed, the safety of every device with the potential to cause harm and/or death is located between the ears. Teaching PEOPLE safe habits is far better than depending on a device. There is NO WAY a responsible person would put a firearm, loaded or not, where a small child could access it.

I'm for......

Aloha, Mark.
I didnt fall for any trap, please share where I mentioned putting the government in our homes?

And therein lies my point, we should not be encouraging gun owners as a whole to not safely secure their guns. We can trust responsible gun owners to teach their kids gun safety, but we cant presuppose all gun owners can do that. We need to be telling people to secure their guns.

Agreed, the safety of every device with the potential to cause harm and/or death is located between the ears. Teaching PEOPLE safe habits is far better than depending on a device. There is NO WAY a responsible person would put a firearm, loaded or not, where a small child could access it.
The problem is the vast majority of gun owners arent... arent taking classes, arent teaching safe habits. Many of them dont even know the 4 rules, and to make matters worse many like this *think* they know gun safety. Yet, A gun owner can be untrained and still be responsible by locking up the gun.... if they only knew.

This topic raises tempers quickly, and I understand why. Government "safety" dictates have been used to trample 2A liberty many times. Look at California's "safe handgun roster" whichhas no relationship to safety but is merely a backdoor handgun ban.

Promoting safe gun storage can be done genuinely, as I believe the OP is doing. Not advocating an idea that the government should come into your home and make your decision for you. Rather, reminding gun owners that they need to carefully consider the hazard that loaded unsecured guns truly do present to children. Are you willing to bet your child's life on the belief that your 5 year old will obey your instructions to never touch the gun you leave on your nightstand? Or that a toddler will never find your super secret hiding place or hidden key? Or even if your kid doesn't dare to touch your guns, that their friends won't play with it? There are so many affordable quick access safes on the market these days that gun owners should strongly consider using one. Not because the government requires it, but because the chance of a kid accidentally (or in some case deliberately) killing themselves with an unsecured gun is very real.

Trap?!? Nonsense!!! lol the government has NOTHING to do with keeping a gun (let alone a loaded one) away from a 3 year old. It's called common sense. Then when your kids are old enough to even understand you teach them safety and etiquette.

Well... I do.
And all the folks I know do.

This was a pretty presumptive generalization on the, "pro gun community" as a whole.

I think what you meant to say, is - you wish this parent would have done a lot more to encourage safe storage methods and devices.

It's not my fault - or yours - that this happened.

I didnt fall for any trap, please share where I mentioned putting the government in our homes?

And therein lies my point, we should not be encouraging gun owners as a whole to not safely secure their guns. We can trust responsible gun owners to teach their kids gun safety, but we cant presuppose all gun owners can do that. We need to be telling people to secure their guns.

Proponents of "SAFE HOMES" have frequently proposed legislation that would require....

"SAFE STORAGE OF FIREARMS".

So, how does one achieve that?

Make a law(s).

Then....
How does one ensure compliance?

Hummmm.....
Note the proposals from the various Anti-Gun Groups. Put forward in the name of SAFETY.

Do-it-for-the-kids.jpg

Remember? Or have you seen proposals for.......
Police Inspections of any home with firearms....24/7 w/o a warrant.....call it "inspection time?
Or, make a complaint and that's enough. Afterall, "It's about the SAFETY of children".
Requirement(s) for a "rated level/approved SAFE".
Arsenal inspections. Why not extend that to a limit on ammo while you're at it?
Of course, the Govt will need to know which homes have guns in them. So...all guns would need to be registered.
This is costing the PDs in manpower and taking away from their primary mission. So...maybe a NEW AGENCY is needed. Then charge "user fees" (or call them new taxes) to fund more inspections and compliance officers?
Etc.... etc......

Do you NOW understand why I said what I said?

Yes.....it's sad that someone died as a result. BUT, sometimes......

Cant_fix_stupid.jpg

I'm for......
Keeping the Govt govt out of my home and keeping my privacy. Let me decide how I want to run my household.

Aloha, Mark

Well... I do.
And all the folks I know do.

This was a pretty presumptive generalization on the, "pro gun community" as a whole.

I think what you meant to say, is - you wish this parent would have done a lot more to encourage safe storage methods and devices.

It's not my fault - or yours - that this happened.
yeah, too generalized on my part but everytime the subject comes up someone suggests we do nothing, cause govt. How do we get the overwhelming majority of the pro gun community to support encouraging safe storage?

Remember, when these sort(s) of news headlines were blasted across America?

NRA Members Agree: More Gun Regulation Makes Sense

Rrrrright. Don't count me as "IN".

Aloha, Mark

Remember, when these sort(s) of news headlines were blasted across America?

NRA Members Agree: More Gun Regulation Makes Sense

Rrrrright. Don't count me as "IN".

Aloha, Mark
Nobody in this thread is supporting more gun regulations. The topic how how do we promote safe storage with gun owners?

The only gun law I would support would be one requiring firearm orientation/safety in schools that would be taught by a NRA certified instructor and most definitely NOT your basic "all guns are evil" teacher.

The only gun law I would support would be one requiring firearm orientation/safety in schools that would be taught by a NRA certified instructor and most definitely NOT your basic "all guns are evil" teacher.
A few years ago Kidssafefoundation.org tried getting this on Oregon's ballot and was greatly shot down by anti-gun politicians in the state.

Speaking of Kidssafe... I wish all new and inexperienced gun owners knew of that program and would take their free class.

LOL. The kids were thought by professional teachers that.......

Its-all-about-Deer-Hunting.jpg

It's a joke. So, if you happen to be a "teacher". Well, of course......it's didn't/doesn't include ALL teachers.

Aloha, Mark

Firearms accidents have been falling in absolute numbers, and especially per capita, ever since they started keeping statistics about it a hundred years ago. In a population of 330 million, there are going to be some firearms accidents every year - as well as accidents with buckets of water. There is no reason government should be involved in any of this - other than to advance tyranny and eventually to disarm us. That is what motivates their "concern".

"The topic how how do we promote safe storage with gun owners?"

Have threads like this? :) Personally, I think in a house with kids (including where kids visit), all the guns should be locked up, except the one on your hip.

When my son was that age, I cleared my carry gun (a 1911 at the time) and handed it to him. I asked him to operate the controls. He could cock the hammer. He could operate the safeties. He could pull the trigger. IIRC he could remove and install the magazine. The one thing he could not do, is rack the slide. From that day on, until several years later at least, I carried that gun hammer down on an empty chamber. Why? Just in case I left it lying somewhere, accidentally (I'm not perfect).

Please, if you are wanting to berate me for not carrying cocked and locked, just keep your mouth shut.

Later on, when he started to have some sense, I applied Massad Ayoob's ideas from his book, "Gun Proof Your Children". And I went back to cocked and locked.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top