JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There is hard cast factory ammo in 380 acp and 38 special but none in 9mm in standard pressure (my gun manufacturer says don't shoot +p.) I want something light and concealable for mushroom foraging. There is 147gr FMJFP but velocities are usually subsonic. I want penetration rather than impact. Lots of brush. Next option is to go higher pressure calibers but open carry as my other guns are all heavy steel frames.

124gr because it would be a good compromise. Federal has Syntech but does it penetrates? Crickets from Federal. Looking for 124gr flat point/truncated cone or jacketed soft flat point in 9mm standard pressure factory ammo.

I ordered a couple of sample packs from https://thebluebullets.com/ and will be loading a few with CFE Pistol.

There is hard cast factory ammo in 380 acp and 38 special but none in 9mm in standard pressure (my gun manufacturer says don't shoot +p.) I want something light and concealable for mushroom foraging. There is 147gr FMJFP but velocities are usually subsonic. I want penetration rather than impact. Lots of brush. Next option is to go higher pressure calibers but open carry as my other guns are all heavy steel frames.

124gr because it would be a good compromise. Federal has Syntech but does it penetrates? Crickets from Federal. Looking for 124gr flat point/truncated cone or jacketed soft flat point in 9mm standard pressure factory ammo.

I ordered a couple of sample packs from https://thebluebullets.com/ and will be loading a few with CFE Pistol.
".lots of brush.." what do you foresee the reason for shooting brush?

A jacketed bullet will give more penetration and handloaded can be fired at whatever velocity you choose.

Try these.
I've used Berry's for years in my .40's for range use and they've worked very well. The plated bullets can be loaded up to 1250 FPS.
BERRY'S 124, THICK-PLATE, Flat-Point,, is the only bullet I load on 9mm, and does not matter what 9mm I grab, it accurate.
Plus... Thick Plate = Higher Velocity ( if wanting ) to push it upwards above the 1250 fps.

Looking for 124gr flat point/truncated cone or jacketed soft flat point in 9mm standard pressure factory ammo.
Not 124gn but is a flat point standard pressure designed specifically for deepest penetration. They have other options with this bullet type as well.

I do have about 20rds of standard lead/copper FMJ flat nosed 9mm factory ammo I bought for target practice but cannot remember the brand... so they are out there. The case head only says W M A 2 2
I remember I saved these for hiking if I carried my compact 9mm since they had flat noses.

Looking for 124gr flat point/truncated cone or jacketed soft flat point in 9mm standard pressure factory ammo.

Note: Ive had hit and miss quality issues with LAX/Freedom ammo. My latest 9mm order is plagued with random hard primers.

Note: Ive had hit and miss quality issues with LAX/Freedom ammo. My latest 9mm order is plagued with random hard primers.
Yeah, you know ammo is crap when it won't even work with my primer-murdering MPX!

Not 124gn but is a flat point standard pressure designed specifically for deepest penetration. They have other options with this bullet type as well.

I do have about 20rds of standard lead/copper FMJ flat nosed 9mm factory ammo I bought for target practice but cannot remember the brand... so they are out there. The case head only says W M A 2 2
I remember I saved these for hiking if I carried my compact 9mm since they had flat noses.
I considered Underwood penetrators and G9 ammo. But I think hard cast will penetrate further giving equal targets. The flutes has to bleed some energy perpendicular to its path in order to create a wound channel. If flutes are put on cast bullets, I doubt it would penetrate as deep versus no flutes.

Lehigh should produce all copper (or hybrid mix like ARX) without flutes and with the same ballistics/loading for range/practice. I would buy those.

I considered Underwood penetrators and G9 ammo. But I think hard cast will penetrate further giving equal targets. The flutes has to bleed some energy perpendicular to its path in order to create a wound channel. If flutes are put on cast bullets, I doubt it would penetrate as deep versus no flutes.

Lehigh should produce all copper (or hybrid mix like ARX) without flutes and with the same ballistics/loading for range/practice. I would buy those.
I'm not certain the difference in penetration is enough to worry about, but from what Ive seen tested the extreme penetrators have a slight lead in both penetration and wound channel. It might come down to how much one trusts the newer bullet technology and lighter faster bullets but I wouldnt hesitate to use the Underwood (I think G9s are all +P).

Penetration is important to me too. If the opportunity arose to use a 9mm carbine, for example, on a deer, (for discussion purposes only) FMJ is not legal. And I would not use an explosive hollow point.
Soft Points in 9mm are scarce, but they are my choice. Right now, S&B are the only 9mm soft points I find available. And they are what I carry.

Last Edited:
Penetration is important to me too. If the opportunity arose to use a 9mm carbine, for example, on a deer, (for discussion purposes only) FMJ is not legal. And I would not use an explosive hollow point.
Soft Points in 9mm are scarce, but they are my choice. Right now, S&B are the only 9mm soft points I find available. And they are what I carry.

That was one I missed. SB9S specifically: 124gr, 373 ft/lbs, SP. If it was a flat point, it would be perfect. I'm going to look for them now.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top