JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Not to nit pick, but as a Class III owner myself, the market forces for full-auto weapons vs. semi-auto is apples and oranges. The Firearms Protection Act of 1986 (Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) outlawed full auto guns manufactured after 1986 from being transferred to civilians. What that did is create a limited market of guns made before 86 that could be bought or sold by civilians, with the proper tax paid and sign off by ATF. Because there was a limited supply of machine guns, market forces have pushed the values up over time.

With semi-auto rifles, manufacturers are still producing guns and expanding the supply. Prices of new guns from the distributor to the dealer have not gone up at all. Because of the panic and buying frenzy, prices from some dealers to the public have gone up because some dealers are taking advantage of the panicked buying. I work with an honest dealer, who has a fixed and predictable mark-up over cost. He has assured me that he will never ask his customers to pay a high mark up. He wants to keep customers long term, instead of taking advantage of a brief blip on the radar.

This is what happens government announces plans to ban a limited item with a high demand.

You think $1200 is nuts, wait a few years after the ban.

A fully automatic m16 was only a few hundred dollars in 1985. In 1986 they were thousands, today they are tens of thousands... and the prices are only going up.

In my 30+ years of gun ownership I have never owned an AR. I have shot one once and would really like to have one. I have had multiple opportunities to buy over the years and over the past few weeks. I did not pull the trigger and now may never own one because I do not want one bad enough to pay $1500+
All that being said, the only person to blame in my books is ME. I saw this coming and did not act in time. If I had, and could double or triple my investment I would!
Overall, I will be fine without an AR. Am I disappointing? Yes, but not with those practicing capitalism and free markets, but with me for seeing the signs and not acting when I could/should have. Personal responsibility folks!

Not to nit pick, but as a Class III owner myself, the market forces for full-auto weapons vs. semi-auto is apples and oranges. The Firearms Protection Act of 1986 (Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) outlawed full auto guns manufactured after 1986 from being transferred to civilians. What that did is create a limited market of guns made before 86 that could be bought or sold by civilians, with the proper tax paid and sign off by ATF. Because there was a limited supply of machine guns, market forces have pushed the values up over time.

With semi-auto rifles, manufacturers are still producing guns and expanding the supply. Prices of new guns from the distributor to the dealer have not gone up at all. Because of the panic and buying frenzy, prices from some dealers to the public have gone up because some dealers are taking advantage of the panicked buying. I work with an honest dealer, who has a fixed and predictable mark-up over cost. He has assured me that he will never ask his customers to pay a high mark up. He wants to keep customers long term, instead of taking advantage of a brief blip on the radar.

If your talking about actual dealers then I sort of agree, BUT I disagree about private party sales.

If there IS a ban the argument that the semi's are not in the same boat as full auto is wrong. At that point they are the same. A bigger supply for sure, but it's a finite supply with a exact number.

It is crazy! Is this how we look after each other by tripling the prices and ripping each other off? By going crazy and each man for himself?
If we act like that we are no different than the Anti guns crazy people and the Obama Lovers. It really makes me sad when you think you know someone that help me build my rifle turn around and try to screw me over.

This is nuts! I might expect a 10 to 25% premium right now, and I am a free-market guy, but really? I like and own an AR, but it is not the only rifle in the world and not the only way to defend yourself. I'm seeing used rifles and parts going for more than new. The dust will settle and prices will come down, stocks will get resupplied, and people will realize that they've been foolish. Just like the ammo shortage of a couple years ago. If there was actually pending legislation, it would be one thin, but so far, it;s just political rhetoric.

Everyone has had plenty of time to buy mags and receivers, we knew this was coming.

Why would someone sell something for what MSRP was when current prices are skyrocketing, and they have no idea what prices will be...

The OP and the rest of you guys who are sniveling... Come on now.. The buyer always sets the price of a transaction and is always in control. No one can force someone to pay more than they are willing to pay...

I have not bought or sold anything at these crazes prices but the thought has crossed my mind to sell some stuff ... Stuff I wouldn't have ever sold otherwise.. But when you can get $40-$50 for something you paid $10 then great... your not screwing anyone if the guy wants it and is willing to pay it. If the market is $40 and you paid ten and you sell it for ten then your not a good guy, your a moron.... If you dont want to pay $40 (or $100) then dont, its just that simple. The market is the market... what things cost last week has no bearing on what you have to pay today....

Magpul PMAG Gen M3 30 rnd AR/M4
That's pretty good! From a business perspective, pretty smart, too. The quick buck will be gone tomorrow, but long time customers will remember.

One question I've wondered about for a long time, though: why would one really want more than a couple magazines anyway?

Yes, I understand because you can. I'm not disputing that or saying you shouldn't. If you want a crate of them in your garage that's fine with me unless you have nefarious intent, but what's the practical value? From a strictly practical perspective I don't understand needing more than one to use, and a spare in case the first one gets lost or damaged. Please don't take offense; I have probably a dozen 1911 .45 mags myself, and only ever use one or two. Just wondering.Some of you must shoot a LOT more than I do.:)

Anyone goes on armslist? there's hi points for 300, 10/22's for 1000, fn2000 for 5000, glocks for 1450, and mini 14s for 1500.
WHAT THE bubblegum IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? is this a monkey see monkey do that's happening?

I guess if someone jumped off the building, everyone else should do it too, what ever happened to integrity and honor? I always looked at us legal gun owners as guardians to others in case bubblegum happened in public but all i see is weak minded sheep.

if you have any self respect, you will not buy anything from these imbeciles until it all cools down in couple months. I am so worked up over this i'm thinking about selling my guns and just carrying knives and bows..

Same thing happened with many dealers in the 1994 ban. The big talk then is like the big talk now from consumers . . . . "We will remember" Vendors are capitalists. Why isn't anyone lambasting the morons trying to sell guns on this board. Do the prices asked bear any resemblace to reality?

That's pretty good! From a business perspective, pretty smart, too. The quick buck will be gone tomorrow, but long time customers will remember.

One question I've wondered about for a long time, though: why would one really want more than a couple magazines anyway?

Yes, I understand because you can. I'm not disputing that or saying you shouldn't. If you want a crate of them in your garage that's fine with me unless you have nefarious intent, but what's the practical value? From a strictly practical perspective I don't understand needing more than one to use, and a spare in case the first one gets lost or damaged. Please don't take offense; I have probably a dozen 1911 .45 mags myself, and only ever use one or two. Just wondering.Some of you must shoot a LOT more than I do.:)

If you ever had to defend yourself from whatever you believe may or may not happen 1 mag may not be enough. That would be my guess. Some people believe that they are more than range toys.

If the market is $40 and you paid ten and you sell it for ten then your not a good guy, your a moron....
I don't have a lot to contribute to this discussion, but I would tend to agree with the above, unless you're selling it to a friend, or someone you know isn't just going to take advantage of your generosity to turn a quick buck.

A friend of mine sold a gun about four years ago I think, an AK rifle during a buying frenzy IIRC. He could have easily got a lot more for it, but instead sold it to an acquaintance/ casual friend who bugged him into selling it to him cheap, a buddy deal: "Come on man, we're buddies. Give me a good deal; I need one of these guns"

He found out later that the guy flipped it the next day for more than double.:( I wonder if it was worth a friendship to him, and his reputation among common friends.

Some people believe that they are more than range toys.
Point taken.:)

I think its funny that all the people paying 30+ $ for mags and buying 1500$ 1/9 civilian ARs, never cared enough to buy any before now, probably dont have any ammo, and most likely will never shoot them. Reminds me so much of post Y2K when you could buy a (like new) generator for 1/2 price. So I say if your dumb enough to pay the money that people are asking, then you deserve what you get. Dont be mad at the price gougers, be mad at yourself for waiting untill its too late to buy what you need.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads