JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lets get a list started of businesses in Oregon that are price gouging on ammo right now I'll start.
Was at A Cut Above Pawn today, usually(pre-panic) was a great place to deal with, that has changed.
I was shocked to see they wanted $325 for 500 rounds of Tula 122 grain hp 7.62x39, that is insane, I'm not going to pay that much ever for 7.62x39 .
I know some places are charging a little more for some things, but 7.62x39 even the exact same load can be had elsewhere for less for 1000 rounds!

Shop online. Brick and mortar stores will almost always be asking higher prices.

Online will deliver it to your doorstep.

Yep, and even the online sellers are at the 25-30% increase point for even the stuff that is still available in 45 ACP, and 5.56, and the crazy 9mm FMJ is approaching 50% increases since Feb/Mar this year.

Best to give it a few months before buying bulk cases again :s0117: :(

Gouging applies to necessity items such as food etc.

I agree. Price hikes on non-essentials don't qualify as gouging, in my opinion. You don't need them to live. You have choices. You can choose to live without it and still get by. Sometimes scarcity causes demand to go up. How about like when a certain thing goes out of production? That sometimes makes prices of existing items go up. You wouldn't call that gouging, would you?

I imagine, they might take an offer. I've haggled with A Cut Above on a number of occasions. Got a Marlin for $250 under the asking price.

If you want to play you gotta pay. In times like these we have severe shortages over nothing to worry about. That is why you buy ammo every paycheck and reloading supplies inbetween the shortages. The shooting up at the Darrington pits slowed way down with this ammo shortage.
People don't plan ahead and are left at home with empty guns and pissed off attitudes.
It will be over in six months or so then you will have cheap ammo again but it will be winter and you won't need it then so wait until spring and something elses might come along and jack the prices up again.
It's a free market out there and it's all supply & demand.
You can buy 22lr at Walmart and go do some short rimfire range shooting. Better then nothing.

Been there & done it so I have been steadily buying and prepping for this shortage buying ammo and reliading supplies. I have five ammo cans full of loaded 223 ammo, now I can load a couple ammo cans of 38spl & 357mag.

It will be over in six months or so then you will have cheap ammo again

Or it will be worse, one or the other.

It has been worse in the past. 9x19 got down to 17 cents/pr early this year and late last.

I simply don't buy when it gets too high because I've seen this cycle many times and I have plenty of the core necessities, I just need to fill in the holes at the edges, and if some deals come up on practice ammo I will pick up some more, but I won't buy ball ammo that is only 10-20% less than self-defense ammo, I might as well buy the self-defense ammo instead - e.g., .40 ball ammo is 30 cents and SD ammo is 38 cents.

It's a cycle for sure. I just sold some 5.56 at a loss recently. Admittedly I paid too much for it several years back when I got caught in a similar situation. I'm good now though.

Watch for good deals because they do come around now and again. This is a cycle. It's not the first and it won't be the last.

Its a pawn shop.thats what they do.. I looked at ammo online today prices were up and almost all was out of stock .9mm and 223 . ,were non existent 7.62x39 was very slim pickings.

Last Edited:
Just chatted with a local store guys about this. They used to be cheapest in the area. They say suppliers raised their prices across the board and they were forced to do the same just to break even.

Pri
Just chatted with a local store guys about this. They used to be cheapest in the area. They say suppliers raised their prices across the board and they were forced to do the same just to break even.
Prices are high and its not going to get better for some time , The discount online ammo prices are already as high as last time this happened . If ore and wash, put the back ground check for ammo in place . It will drain what little there is available at almost any price. We have covid , riots and elections,

The advantage to some charging high prices is that it's still available for somebody who really wants it. Any ammo at pre covid/riot prices gets snapped up immediately and often times stacked deep. You won't find to many people who will stack it deep at 65 cents a round. For those that believe this is another typical cycle, now would be a good time to rotate out the older parts of your stash. I have unloaded probably 75% of my stash. Hopefully after my credit card debt is paid off, prices will have come back down and I can rebuild my ammo stash with fresh ammo. I will pay for new ammo with cash this time.

Most of what I have left I paid the high prices for. When you dont live where all the big box stores are there isn't. Much of a choice and spending 50 plus. Bucks on gas will kill almost any deal.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews