JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
These days. Gouging, scalping, call it what you will. I was visiting the Midway USA site yesterday. Just browsing. The least expensive 9mm Parabellum ammo they list is 70 cents per round. The economy brands and lines. And they don't have any.

For my needs in the past, Midway was often an on-line gold standard. In fact, I was a customer of theirs back when they sold via a paper brochure in the mail called the Com Load Report. Because at that time, they mostly sold wholesale to dealers. Before the internet. So I consider them a fairly "normal" source.

Midway's prices on primers have bumped some too, but not as much by percentage. Average low $40's per brick, about a 35% increase over pre-Covid. But of course they don't have any.

If nobody has any, posted prices don't mean anything. I was just on the Cabela's site to see what they are doing. Their house brand Herter's 9mm is $14 a box of 50. None in stock, not available online.

So I guess at this time if you see something that really is available and on hand, that product has a very real advantage.

It's a personal thing. Meaning each person decides for themselves. Kinda like, how much beer is too much! I know how much beer is too much for me! I don't know, and wouldn't care to tell YOU, how much beer is too much for you.

Capicse?

I can tell you the price gouging by members on the site has me furious. As long as NorthwestFirearms.com allows it the problem will only get worse. Currently we have retailers that are receiving shipments only to sale them on the classifieds here for 5 times markup. And if it's not them it's just some jerkoff who has no intention of using the products themselves. I am personally unsure if I will continue to renew my small membership here if this continues much longer. If a firearm website cares about the shooting community they will not let these cancerous members abuse the rest of us. That is the end of my rant and I am a supporter of capitalism but this is a RIGGED game we are playing at the moment.

I noticed Midway was boosting its prices up, without even having the products. Shame on them.

My Nosler ammo went from $28 to over $51, and it hasn't even been made since late last summer.

nos.JPG nosa.JPG

I can tell you the price gouging by members on the site has me furious. As long as NorthwestFirearms.com allows it the problem will only get worse. Currently we have retailers that are receiving shipments only to sale them on the classifieds here for 5 times markup. And if it's not them it's just some jerkoff who has no intention of using the products themselves. I am personally unsure if I will continue to renew my small membership here if this continues much longer. If a firearm website cares about the shooting community they will not let these cancerous members abuse the rest of us. That is the end of my rant and I am a supporter of capitalism but this is a RIGGED game we are playing at the moment.
Is it? Items are worth what someone is willing to pay. Case in point. A few days before lockdowns I bought a case of federal HST 9mm. It was a great deal. Around $400. By the time it arrived from the seller, that case was selling for $1200+ from the same seller. What is the value? I don't know but I do not feel like selling, even though I hope it goes down to $400 again. But if someone offered me a dollar a round I would say no.

Capitalism cuts both ways. If there were primers on the shelf, I would understand being miffed at people jacking up prices. I have bought a case of SPP from midway for normal prices pe covid, (since covid, I was awake at 2am when I got the email alert.) I also have paid more for Small rifle primers.

Things are worth what someone else is willing to pay, unless it is worth more for you to keep than someone else is willing to pay.

The market decides what gouging is.
You may think you know but when the market sets the new norm, it's no longer gouging.
Is gasoline at 2.25 gouging because it used to be .05 a gallon?

Each ammo scare tests a new market and price point. Take the last. 22 scare. It settled back in about 20-25% more then pre scare. That became the new norm.

The question is where will it settle this time?

Cheaper Than Dirt will sell you a stripped Anderson lower for $299. :eek: :s0112: Who knew dirt was so expensive?:rolleyes:

Hahaha.. And ARs really haven't quadrupled like last time.. Cheap as trash should be the name

All I know is when someone is telling me how good a deal is at today's prices, it sure seems like they want give me a prostrate exam with both hands on my shoulders.

Cheaper Than Dirt will sell you a stripped Anderson lower for $299. :eek: :s0112: Who knew dirt was so expensive?:rolleyes:

Historically they are first to jack their prices.

These days. Gouging, scalping, call it what you will. I was visiting the Midway USA site yesterday. Just browsing. The least expensive 9mm Parabellum ammo they list is 70 cents per round. The economy brands and lines. And they don't have any.

For my needs in the past, Midway was often an on-line gold standard. In fact, I was a customer of theirs back when they sold via a paper brochure in the mail called the Com Load Report. Because at that time, they mostly sold wholesale to dealers. Before the internet. So I consider them a fairly "normal" source.

Midway's prices on primers have bumped some too, but not as much by percentage. Average low $40's per brick, about a 35% increase over pre-Covid. But of course they don't have any.

If nobody has any, posted prices don't mean anything. I was just on the Cabela's site to see what they are doing. Their house brand Herter's 9mm is $14 a box of 50. None in stock, not available online.

So I guess at this time if you see something that really is available and on hand, that product has a very real advantage.

3x normal price is gouging. I SAID IT!

I hereby announce myself as the premier and sole authority on the pronouncement of the label henceforth known as "gouging".

If I say it is, all shall abide.
I sit on the side lines of this one but you will find no shortage of folks here willing to challenge and possibly usurp your authority. Watch your back!
Will there be a coup to come?:s0093:

I used to think it would be Democrats that would put an end to recreational shooting. Turns out it is a bunch of "2A" supporters that I should have been fearful of.

Retailers are doing it just as much, but keep pointing fingers. The market dictates that EVERYONE is selling at inflated rates. Welcome to supply and demand.

3x normal price is gouging. I SAID IT!

I remember buying 9mm at .18/round and .22lr at <.05/round. I would GLADLY pay 3 times those rates, as I would still be getting a great deal in TODAY'S market.

What is "normal price" these days...really.........

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top