JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You know you're getting old when:

• Instead of being expelled for chewing your Pop-Tart in the shape of a gun, you remember bringing your new hunting rifle you got for Christmas to school to show the coach who was also a hunter... he handled it, worked the bolt and complimented you on the fine firearm it was.
  • 80% of the student "cars" in high school were pickup trucks and they had guns in gun racks of the rear window. This was because as soon as school was out, you and your buddies would go out deer hunting after school during deer season.
  • Your Letterman's jacket in High School had your varsity letter on it with crossed rifles because you received your varsity letter on the high school rifle team.
  • Same said Letterman's jacket ALWAYS had LIVE 22 LR cartridges in the right hand pocket leftover from rifle team practice.
  • People watched movies in the theater and laughed about the sparking bullets that sparked on everything from roadway, to wooden door casings realizing that this was Hollywood at work instead of accepting as fact that bullets actually spark when they hit... anything.
Cripes... I am such a dinosaur.... I am starting to understand my father's sentiment of "I really am glad that I won't live long enough to see what this country will look like in 50 years" o_O

You know you're getting old when:

• Instead of being expelled for chewing your Pop-Tart in the shape of a gun, you remember bringing your new hunting rifle you got for Christmas to school to show the coach who was also a hunter... he handled it, worked the bolt and complimented you on the fine firearm it was.
  • 80% of the student "cars" in high school were pickup trucks and they had guns in gun racks of the rear window. This was because as soon as school was out, you and your buddies would go out deer hunting after school during deer season.
  • Your Letterman's jacket in High School had your varsity letter on it with crossed rifles because you received your varsity letter on the high school rifle team.
  • Same said Letterman's jacket ALWAYS had LIVE 22 LR cartridges in the right hand pocket leftover from rifle team practice.
  • People watched movies in the theater and laughed about the sparking bullets that sparked on everything from roadway, to wooden door casings realizing that this was Hollywood at work instead of accepting as fact that bullets actually spark when they hit... anything.
Cripes... I am such a dinosaur.... I am starting to understand my father's sentiment of "I really am glad that I won't live long enough to see what this country will look like in 50 years" o_O
Yep.
IMG_0513.JPG

My wife's friend freaked out when she found an empty .22 LR case in her driveway. We had stopped by her house earlier and it must have fallen out out of the back of my truck. Makes you wonder what would happen if you walked around downtown Portland and randomly dropped empty .22 cases on the ground. o_O

My wife's friend freaked out when she found an empty .22 LR case in her driveway. We had stopped by her house earlier and it must have fallen out out of the back of my truck. Makes you wonder what would happen if you walked around downtown Portland and randomly dropped empty .22 cases on the ground. o_O
You think that could make the snowflakes melt??? I'll donate my empty .22's... Anything to make them go away...

My wife's friend freaked out when she found an empty .22 LR case in her driveway. We had stopped by her house earlier and it must have fallen out out of the back of my truck.

...and to think of the c*ap I took on another forum about over-reacting panty-waist Brits when this happened in UK a few years ago. Well, well...............:rolleyes:

tac

If more common sense were shown in everyday life ... Everyday life would be so much more pleasant and easier.

Note to any who read the following:
I am not "Butt Hurt" when folks bad mouth teachers or public education.

I teach at a public high school.
I also own guns , hunt , don't think that there should be restrictions on what gun you can own or how many bullets can fit in magazines .... And have many other "pro-gun" leanings.

In my class I teach about:
The Constitution
Explain that is okay to respectfully disagree with others and question what you are being told or taught.
That you have duty to yourself , others and your country to be the best person that you can.
Along with many other ideas and actions.

I understand that I may not fit the mold of average teacher.
I can also understand the frustration at the public school system when reading stories like in the OP.

Just pointing out that not all teachers are "Special Snowflakes Communists , who want to undermine America and turn it into a special Hell for those who think differently than they do." :eek::D
Or any other such horrible thing....

Again not calling anyone out here or wanting to start a ruckus.
Andy

I know some great teachers personally. The kids that are fortunate enough to get them are the lucky ones. My complaint is not about teachers in general (I do think more are good than bad), but rather administration and government incursion into schools. I have been told over and over how the school system binds the hands of many teachers, forcing them to teach things they disagree with and preventing them from teaching things they agree with. It has become clear over the decades that the government is using the public school system to indoctrinate generations with particular points of view. And while any parent has the right to teach their children what they want, I do not believe the government has that right. And that is why we are a homeschool family. It's not easy, but we know every single thing our daughter learns, and she is getting a fantastic education (bolstered by the homeschool community and the schools they operate).

I feel for the teachers that are under the restrictions of the state when they are simply trying to do the best job they can. And I am very thankful that there are so many good teachers out there - I had some myself, and I still appreciate the impact they had on my life.

As for the government and the administrators that implement the government's agenda - they can all go suck eggs.

Last Edited:
What an incentive to police up all of those rimfire cases left around the range. :rolleyes:
That would be almost as much fun as hog's blood in a Super Soaker. :p:p:p

I remember taking my Ruger 22 rifle to college. We jumped in a car and went to the Armory to shoot. Improved my shooting a little. This was Weber State College in Odgen Ut before it became a university. Had some fun. In a non- morman sort of way. Was not the best or worst but like I said did improve.

When my kids were younger (I'm guessing 3rd grade), they all got to carry small pocketknives (the Swiss Army style ones). I remember a situation where my youngest daughter took hers to the "summer school program" (not really school - more like a glorified day care with activities and snacks, etc).

I had driven my son to the school at pick-up time, asking him to run get his sisters. The teacher stopped him, and said, "Did you know that your sister has a knife? We had to confiscate it during the day", to which my son replied, "Yeah, I have one too, wanna see it?" When I heard about it, I just about died laughing...

And yet they will actually hand a child that age a sharp #2 pencil which is 100 times more deadly then a spent .22 casing. Not to mention what if they gave the child a BIC pen? those of us old enough for the Wonderful World of Disney can attest to a BIC pens ability to penetrate a sheet of stainless steel. Much more dangerous then a little 5/8" long brass tube closed off on one end.

And there's yer sign!
Actually, the ones I like are the idiots who think a small pocketknife is a "weapon" - - I am always quick to point out that you can do a lot more damage with a 6-inch screwdriver than your average Swiss Army knife

So what about an update about the outcome? Were the school administrators ever dealt with by the parents? How about Child Protective Services chewing the school administrators out for making a BS claim? Were the State or County administrators confronted about this act? Just ranting by think alike posters doesn't deal with the issue.

Chuck

It's funny how some of you are angry at the .22 vs shotshell thing, then go on you comment about public schools, when the article was clearly a private preschool daycare. Again, two totally different things. The simple solution is to take your business elsewhere as this isn't a government institution, but a private business, which of course has the right to do business as they see fit. I agree they should have talked to the parents about it, but calling dfcs is a bit extreme (seeing as there is no physical abuse or drugs involved, that call won't mean anything anyway).

Now, the preschool as my kids have gone to wouldn't bat an eyelash as they all hunt or their husbands do.

If a kid in my class had LIVE ammo, I would either take it and return at the end of the day, OR have the kid take it to his vehicle and leave it there for the day. Unless there was a "policy" dictating otherwise in which case I might not even see the ammo. A lot would depend on the student and situation.
When I was in HS we lived in suburban/semi-rural/rural areas and hunting after school was a well-known pastime IF we didnt have to report to our jobs (a lot of us had part-time employments). Chased a lot of bog-bunnies, squirrels and other small game after school... Rifles and shotguns just stayed in the car during school hours and no one cared. Sometimes I wore my hunting coat with the license tag on the back and ammo in the pockets...
I carried a pocket-knife every day at school and it never "came out" unless it was needed for some project or other- even the teachers would ask to borrow a knife at times... Just never was an issue.

The Dean of Boys and the Principal both had wooden Paddles behind their desks :eek:
and the Principal was not a woman. :mad::oops:
Some of the teachers served as counselors and the school didn't have a "Shrink" on staff.:confused:

A hole drilled into the bottom of a .22rimfire case will have no effect on the primer part of the case Since the priming compound is in the rim. Those cases look as if they have had the slug pulled and the powder dumped out but still have viable priming compound in the rims. Unless of course someone either oiled them or at the very least wet them. Though a wet primer compound once dried out can still be active. Oil on the other hand will totally turn the compound inert.
That's kinda the point. 99% of people at the school don't know what a rimfire round is so they will think the round has no primer. The only person who knows guns is my physics teacher who hunts and who I often talk to about rifles and other stuff. He gave me extra credit for explaining how an AR-15 cycles rounds.:D

This is more proof of OUR FAILURE to educate (and not just advocate). We that KNOW have a duty to reach out to the ignorant masses and share our knowledge in ways that will effectively teach what they do not know.

Although I live in a very liberal county, I've introduced neighbors and their kids to archery as I work them into the realities they never pondered. Some are resistant, but I have made headway. If each of us did this we would have more that know the truth and fewer with an irrational fear of weapons.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top