JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which gun, which caliber?

• Total voters
So many choices, so little time. You can go around and round on this one just pick what you like. For my uses, .224 cal, .257 cal, .308 cal, and .338 cal

I am going to admit up front that my choices are way different than the usual shooter.

I don't really like short barrels on .308s I realize there's not much difference between 20" and 22", but I want the muzzle blast as far from my face as I can get it.

I don't really like Savage rifles. I have one in 7mm RemMag, but I have never really taken a shine to it. I bought it from a friend who was going through some legal wrangling with an ex-wife, thinking that when he got back on his feet, I'd sell it back to him for what I paid for it. Then he suddenly died from a heart attack. So it's a gun that I'll probably not sell, but I look at replacement barrels every once in a while.

I hate thumbhole stocks. They are designed for the mythical 'average' hand, and as you can imagine, a 6'6" 340 lb. genetic freak doesn't have average sized hands.

As of right now, I like the Howa action best. Remington has a good design, but current QC is lacking. If you get a good one, then you are golden. There's just too many being made that aren't 'good ones'.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads