JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What's Your Favorite Oregon Born Food?

• The Corn Dog AKA Pronto Pup (Rockaway Beach 1930's)

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • The Tater Tot (Ontario 1954)

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • The Marionberry (Corvallis 1956)

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • The Gardenburger (Gresham 1981)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Bing Cherry (Milwaukie 1875)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • The Marashino Cherry (Corvallis 1920)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Other - Please Elucidate Us

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
The other day while on a corn dog bender I decided to look them up and surprisingly found they they were invented as Pronto Pup at Rockaway Beach when a rain squall ruined the buns at a hot dog stand. Still needing to sell the dogs the proprietor, George Boyington, came up with the idea using what was at hand. That got me thinking about what other common foods we enjoy were invented right here in Oregon.

When I look over Oregon's contribution I can't imagine a summertime holiday, fair, or treat without most of them.

So, vote for your top two and if it's not on the list (must have originated here) please tell us what I missed.

Note that your favorite brand of something doesn't qualify, but the food itself does, so for example a type of cheese developed here qualifies but, say, Tillamook cheddar does not since cheddar originated in Cheddar, England.

I think I found one of the articles you used. You'll be proud to know I did not write in vote for plywood.

I think I found one of the articles you used. You'll be proud to know I did not write in vote for plywood.

I learned about the Gardenburger (knew at one time but later forgot) and Tater Tots. Most of the rest I knew. I learned about Pronto Pups here: https://www.prontopup.net/our-history/ and then validated it since it came from the company's website. There used to be a brick and mortar Pronto Pup at the Boise Spectrum Center and was hoping to find links to something closer.

Fun story about the Boise Pronto Pup. I was staying at the hotel that borders the Spectrum Center overnight and made a dash to get some Pups for my wife and parents before they closed. The owner and his maybe ten year old daughter were working and just about ready to close shop.

He made the Pups while she worked the till. She gave me my change which as a single $5 bill. I explained to her (with a smiling Dad looking on) that you always gave some dollar bills so the customer would have tip money (they had a jar).

I returned the fiver which she exchanged for ones and then watched the lightbulb go off over her head when I stuffed a few in the jar.

Until just a bit ago I had no idea the corn dog came from OR. I do LOVE the all beef ones. Great snack now and then. When this great hoax lead to the great shortages I tried a box of them with the lower dogs one day because I could not find the beef. It was a waste of money as I could not eat them. Crows loved them :D

Until just a bit ago I had no idea the corn dog came from OR. I do LOVE the all beef ones. Great snack now and then. When this great hoax lead to the great shortages I tried a box of them with the lower dogs one day because I could not find the beef. It was a waste of money as I could not eat them. Crows loved them :D
I love the occasional corn dog, but if I buy a bag of them I usually find half of them in the back of the freezer three months later. Tots on the other hand, go away fast. They're pretty darn good cooked in an air fryer, too.

I love the occasional corn dog, but if I buy a bag of them I usually find half of them in the back of the freezer three months later. Tots on the other hand, go away fast. They're pretty darn good cooked in an air fryer, too.
Airfried is the only way to go with frozen corn dogs too. Nuked for a minute and then 7-9 in the airfryer on 400. Crunchy crust rather than soggy like out of a microwave. Amazing how hot that wooden stick gets! I find out almost every time...

Airfried is the only way to go with frozen corn dogs too. Nuked for a minute and then 7-9 in the airfryer on 400. Crunchy crust rather than soggy like out of a microwave. Amazing how hot that wooden stick gets! I find out almost every time...
Burritos too. Just about anything that gets soggy in the microwave is better done in the air fryer either exclusively or with a little nuke first.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top