JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, factual update:

It appears the ruling will be published Jan 31, 2023.
From there, the 120 day clock starts on submitting the Form1 to convert the braced pistol to an SBR.
Have to use the e-forms.

Question: was it clarified that it was required to file as an individual, or were trusts allowed to file?

@wired

I understand the distrust. Especially people who are new to the NFA process and large bureaucracies.
I don't think it has much to do with the process... it's just general distrust and seeing the direction the country is heading. We're already starting to see a hint of it out of Kalifederation... priming the people for what comes next.

They are starting to admit that all those shiny gun control laws aren't working and asking, "what more can be done?". That's the perfect setup for larger bans of weapons classifications and confiscations. "If the regulation laws aren't enough, we should just take them off the streets entirely."

So called "AW's" are obviously on the menu first, but how long do you think it will take them to figure what an easy sell it would be to the public to move onto firearms, that by definition, are classed as unusual and especially dangerous? (aka., NFA's) All the easier too since they have all your personal info, fingerprints on file and know exactly what they are looking for.

It may take awhile and the courts would hopefully block all of it, but let's not kid ourselves... even 20 years ago did anyone in OR or WA ever imagine standard size mags would be targetted? Or that you might have to obtain a permission slip to exercise your right to even buy a firearm?

I say do what you can to stay off their radar as long as you can. Once you buy into the registration scheme there is no take-back-sees and... in for a penny, in for a pound.

Call it paranoia, but for someone that has lived longer than I ever expected, I call it taking to heart the hard won lessons of history and exercising prudent planning. :s0155:

I don't think it has much to do with the process... it's just general distrust and seeing the direction the country is heading. We're already starting to see a hint of it out of Kalifederation... priming the people for what comes next.

They are starting to admit that all those shiny gun control laws aren't working and asking, "what more can be done?". That the perfect setup for larger bans of weapons classifications and confiscations. "If the regulation laws aren't enough, we should just take them off the streets entirely."

So called "AW's" are obviously on the menu first, but how long do you think it will take them to figure what an easy sell it would be to the public to move onto firearms, that by definition, are classed as unusual and especially dangerous? (aka., NFA's) All the easier too since they have all your personal info, fingerprints on file and know exactly what they are looking for.

It may take awhile and the courts would hopefully block all of it, but let's not kid ourselves... even 20 years ago did anyone in OR or WA ever imagine standard size mags would be targetted? Or that you might have to obtain a permission slip to exercise your right to even buy a firearm?

I say do what you can to stay off their radar as long as you can. Once you buy into the registration scheme there is no take-back-sees and... in for a penny, in for a pound.

Call it paranoia, but for someone that has lived longer than I ever expected, I call it taking to heart the hard won lessons of history and exercising prudent planning. :s0155:
i think its a matter of time until semiauto everything is moved onto the NFA roles. Maybe even magazines. The brace thing I see as an obvious boner move by the ATF. A lot of us saw this coming almost a decade ago when the SIG brace came out . It was obviously going to be a problem. The issue is that with all this newfound exposure the NFA is getting its going to look like a viable option for future gun control. Hardly anyone had ever heard of the NFA before outside of a core group of enthusiasts. I could see a $5 tax like an AOW and a streamlined process to make it sellable as such to Congress. Its already been constitutionally vetted ( albeit by a sham trial. ) . Been saying this for years. Its coming.

Last Edited:
So, factual update:

It appears the ruling will be published Jan 31, 2023.
From there, the 120 day clock starts on submitting the Form1 to convert the braced pistol to an SBR.
Have to use the e-forms.

Question: was it clarified that it was required to file as an individual, or were trusts allowed to file?

@wired
Its says right in the regs you have until it files in the register to move it to a trust

"Call it paranoia, but for someone that has lived longer than I ever expected, I call it taking to heart the hard won lessons of history and exercising prudent planning."

It's not paranoia.

F971F475-EE17-433C-B61B-D99A70701A0C.jpeg

82DDC8A3-9B28-423C-B5D0-11302F89C118.jpeg

i think its a matter of time until semiauto everything is moved onto the NFA roles. Maybe even magazines. The brace thing I see as an obvious boner move by the ATF. A lot of us saw this coming almost a decade ago when the SIG brace came out . It was obviously going to be a problem. The issue is that with all this newfound exposure the NFA is getting its going to look like a viable option for future gun control. Hardly anyone had ever heard of the NFA before outside of a core group of enthusiasts. I could see a $5 tax like an AOW and a streamlined process to make it sellable as such to Congress. Its already been constitutionally vetted ( albeit by a sham trial. ) . Been saying this for years. Its coming.
I dunno. That might be true but... hitting the law books first... I would put more likely odds on universal BGC's, a national registry on all firearms... and a federal permit to purchase to follow.

Maybe all semi-autos under the NFA somewhere after the universal BGC's and right before the federal P2P(?) 🤣

i think its a matter of time until semiauto everything is moved onto the NFA roles. Maybe even magazines.
Heller shot down semiautomatic handgun bans. When there's a ban on semiautomatic rifles (Aussie style and not just "AWs"; there'll be a strong lawsuit that could go all way to SCOTUS and potentially overturn the SBR portion of NFA. Just surprised SBS portion hasn't been overturned though, given that there are millions more shotguns than rifles, or so it seems
The brace thing I see as an obvious boner move by the ATF. A lot of us saw this coming almost a decade ago when the SIG brace came out . It was obviously going to be a problem.
To you and whoever agrees with you, but it wasn't that obvious to most

The issue is that with all this newfound exposure the NFA is getting its going to look like a viable option for future gun control. Hardly anyone had ever heard of the NFA before outside of a core group of enthusiasts. I could see a $5 tax like an AOW and a streamlined process to make it sellable as such to Congress. Its already been constitutionally vetted ( albeit by a sham trial. ) . Been saying this for years. Its coming.
AOW is yes $5 transfer but $200 to make.

I can't see expanding NFA standing for long; not when a certain party wants a bigger, more onerous AWB that includes magazines and all that. Sure they could try to amend NFA to get semiautomatic AWs on and to redefine terms fitting their desires but with the lawsuits already progressing regarding pistol braces, possibly silencers, and FR type triggers (see Cargill as possible jumping point) ... I don't know. They will try but will they stand for long under this specific Federal Court/SCOTUS?

BUT NFA is not "all firearms" :rolleyes:
And a much more difficult path than universal BGC's/registry, which is all encompassing of all firearms... vs.... trying to piecemeal firearm classes into the NFA one by one as both atypically "dangerous" and "unusual". That dog won't hunt far.

The path of least public resistance and legal standing doesn't lean the way of the NFA.

Although, by the time they get to the federal permit to purchase... that's essentially the same money grab that the NFA is on a broader scale. 🤣

Last Edited:
And a much more difficult path than universal BGC's/registry, which is all encompassing of all firearms... vs.... trying to piecemeal firearm classes into the NFA one by one as both atypically "dangerous" and "unique". That dog won't hunt far.
Dangerous and unusual. that be the operative word. In light of Heller and possibly Caetano ; itd be far harder for Congress to justify adding "all semiautomatic firearms " to NFA against the SCOTUS.

The path of least public resistance and legal standing doesn't lean the way of the NFA.

Although, by the time they get to the federal permit to purchase... that's essentially the same money grab that the NFA is on a broader scale. 🤣
Yep. Repeal NFA but make new laws that's worse than NFA with different terms and new definitions and maybe no tax stamps

Again, see Heller. Common use and reinforced by maybe Caetano ... it's gonna be very difficult for Congress to say all firearms are "dangerous and unusual " and outside 2A :rolleyes:

just received this from the NRA-ILA email. as i read it, the brace has been published to the registar as of today?

just received this from the NRA-ILA email. as i read it, the brace has been published to the registar as of today?
Tomorrow

Says scheduled for publication tomorrow

View attachment 1356314

Yeah.we'll find out if there's any changes or whatsoever when it's published.

@Yarome Clicky to embiggen screenshot
Yeah. I saw all the same announcements, but according to the publication register itself.... it says it was published today. "Planned to publish date" and "actual publish date" might vary(??)

Not that one day plus or minus matters a hill of beans.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top