JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you handload and shoot bullets that measured .2252" dia in a .223 chamber

• Total voters
I had a complete box of Nosler Accubonds in .308 that started corroding where the tip was adhered to the bullet (seems this was a problem at some point). Contacted them last year and through a series of emails, they stated at the beginning of April they would replace them when they had inventory but I have yet to see any shipped out (one would assume that between April 10th to now that some should have become available).
Yikes! I only use the Partitions but have considered the Accubonds. I did a little Google research and see your problem is a common one. Most of the folks affected were older postings, but the consensus seemed to be that Nosler was taking care of them expediently back then. It seems like good customer service is tougher to come by in a lot of places these days.

After reading all of the issues people were having with the Accubond tips falling off, I think I'll stick with the Partitions.

After reading all of the issues people were having with the Accubond tips falling off, I think I'll stick with the Partitions.
I'm still not mad at Nosler. I just poked them with an email to see if somehow I got lost on the list I was placed on. They make good stuff and I've heard mostly great things about the Accubonds for their ability to retain most of their mass (like the Partitions) but much higher BC like their Ballistic Tips. One guy told me (I haven't proved it) that you could do your load workup using the less expensive BT's and they would pretty much mimic the Accubonds (YMMV).

Edit (03/05/23): Got response from Nosler regarding the replacement of failing bullets that they "should be" moving onto building the 180 grain Accubonds in March, or next after the 165's. So hopefully soon, only after about a year...

Last Edited:
I used a micrometer to measure the bullets diameter and they measured .2252" diameter (average).
@Koda Maybe you could find someone with a 22 Savage Hi-Power that would put some value on them. They are designed to shoot .228 bullets (that are super rare to find anymore, maybe only special runs). They do shoot .224 sized bullets but accuracy may vary. I happen to know someone that has such a rifle (and I reload it for him). If the supplier doesn't respond accordingly, PM me with how many bullets, bullet information (brand) and what would you like for them?

Last Edited:
I'm still not mad at Nosler. I just poked them with an email to see if somehow I got lost on the list I was placed on. They make good stuff and I've heard mostly great things about the Accubonds for their ability to retain most of their mass (like the Partitions) but much higher BC like their Ballistic Tips. One guy told me (I haven't proved it) that you could do your load workup using the less expensive BT's and they would pretty much mimic the Accubonds (YMMV).
I have read statements that the Partition and Accubond perform very similar, with the Accubond giving an advantage at longer ranges. I'm not a long-range shooter, so that's why I've just stuck with the good old Partitions. What concerned me about the Accubonds was the range of dates where people were reporting problems. I remember seeing dates from 2009 to 2018. Seems like they would have gotten the issue taken care of sooner. Of course, people may be using bullets they bought years before. If my personal bullet drawer is any indication, possibly decades before. LOL.

Of course, people may be using bullets they bought years before.
That's where I'm at. Purchased about 10 years ago. I really only hunt paper targets, so purchased in case I saw the need to do otherwise. I think great bullets but too expensive for taking down paper. I would think they corrected the issue as Nosler does have a great reputation.

One guy told me (I haven't proved it) that you could do your load workup using the less expensive BT's and they would pretty much mimic the Accubonds
I can back this up. Few years back while zeroing a scope on a 30.06, I started out with the Ballistic Tips and finished with the Accubond. After the 5th Ballistic Tip shot in the picture I adjust 2 clicks right (100 yards) and the Accubonds where right there. It's in the puddin'.

_20161024_102016.JPG

My answer is slightly different from other's. I might shoot those without worry if they're constructed right. I would NOT shoot an oversized copper bullet. I've done that with an inconsistent batch of Hornady seconds and pressures were either fine or really really NOT fine.

If they were relatively thin jacketed varmint bullets, I'd give it a go. Lead is squishier and will likely conform to bore size just fine

If I recall, there's some P.O. Ackley stuff where he fired much bigger bullets through much smaller bores such as .308 through a .284 and nothing ugly happened. And just because I know someone is gonna be "that guy" it should be pretty obvious that a .308 won't fit in a .224 not at all safely such as in a .300 BO/5.56 mix-up

I read all the way through this thread only to find out in the next to last thread these were copper solids. That would be a hard no for me. Solids of non-deviated size call for slightly reduced charges for a reason.

Remember, the smaller the bullet, the greater percentage of difference .001 can make. I don't have a problem with a .309 jacketed in a .308 bore. Or even a .312 bullet from a .32 ACP, but this is an exception because it has such a short bearing surface.

It isn't strictly a matter of diameter. Materials used matter, such as the mention of solid copper. A jacketed bullet using gilding material has some give, but a plated bullet has even more. Length of bearing surface is a factor. The longer the bullet, the more friction.

Plus, OP can't get the seating depth right, likely a consequence of excessive diameter. Don't use them.

I wouldn't as that size is meant for 225 Winchester cartridges.
.225 Win. takes a .224 bullet.

I guess my reading comprehension is suspect also as I didn't catch on that they are all copper until now. That does change things a bit. Hopefully they make it right .
Just for a semantical discussion though, I think you would still be safe to shoot them with all those reliefs machined into the bullet limiting the bearing surface. That is of course if it is the brand I am thinking it is.
Hammer away at me if you think I am wrong. :D

I guess my reading comprehension is suspect also as I didn't catch on that they are all copper until now. That does change things a bit. Hopefully they make it right .
Just for a semantical discussion though, I think you would still be safe to shoot them with all those reliefs machined into the bullet limiting the bearing surface. That is of course if it is the brand I am thinking it is.
Hammer away at me if you think I am wrong. :D
Subtle. But I think you nailed it. :s0057:

I read all the way through this thread only to find out in the next to last thread these were copper solids. That would be a hard no for me. Solids of non-deviated size call for slightly reduced charges for a reason.

Remember, the smaller the bullet, the greater percentage of difference .001 can make. I don't have a problem with a .309 jacketed in a .308 bore. Or even a .312 bullet from a .32 ACP, but this is an exception because it has such a short bearing surface.

It isn't strictly a matter of diameter. Materials used matter, such as the mention of solid copper. A jacketed bullet using gilding material has some give, but a plated bullet has even more. Length of bearing surface is a factor. The longer the bullet, the more friction.

Plus, OP can't get the seating depth right, likely a consequence of excessive diameter. Don't use them.

.225 Win. takes a .224 bullet.
They do now but when it first came out they used .225 bullets which is part of the reason they are no longer made. Too much of an odd ball size with little to no popularity.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top