JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you handload and shoot bullets that measured .2252" dia in a .223 chamber

• Total voters
Would be nice to know the manufacturer so other shooters could be aware of a possible issue. Hammer? Badlands? Barnes? Cutting edge?

Doesn't make the company bad nor drag their name through the mud. I'm sure they'll make it right

Doesn't make the company bad nor drag their name through the mud. I'm sure they'll make it right
it does if im wrong or premature.
Thats why this thread is to see if Im missing something in my reloading. Im way open to critisism here but so far several very experienced reloaders have replied to not use them.
Im giving them 2 weeks from my last contact with them on the issue.

I check everything in a Sheridan case gauge, I'd hope it wouldn't let something like this fit?
I think so, that should do it. I figure from now on when I order bullets I will just mic 10 samples from the box, or 1 sample each time I do a load session.
I was surprised to find a lone oversized bullet from another brand, Barnes. Those are otherwise in tolerance but checking them they do vary more. Might be why I never got below 1.5moa with that handload... why I was switching to a different bullet...

You wouldnt happen to have that Sheridan case gauge in 223rem slotted version would you?

I think so, that should do it. I figure from now on when I order bullets I will just mic 10 samples from the box, or 1 sample each time I do a load session.
I was surprised to find a lone oversized bullet from another brand, Barnes. Those are otherwise in tolerance but checking them they do vary more. Might be why I never got below 1.5moa with that handload... why I was switching to a different bullet...

You wouldnt happen to have that Sheridan case gauge in 223rem slotted version would you?
Yep. That's what I gauge everything off throughout most of my brass prep and loading. Of coarse a caliper is used as well. But it is a second form of verification that is super handy.

I don't think I have ever really measured bullets diameters before. Weighed them and measured lengths, never diameter. Now I'm curious. It's a new thing to me, and it kind of makes me wonder about Barnes! I usually stick to Sierra Hornady or when I can find them in a store Bergers. I haven't had a whole lot of good results from the Barnes bullets I've tried. After this thread, I'm not sure I really want to bother with them.

Kind of would hope that bullet diameter would be something hard to screw up considering the processes involved with forging metals. Are Barnes machined? Perhaps that's why, I know they have a lot of solid copper options. Perhaps the lathe tooling is the culprit?

The way I understand it is saami tolerances assure interchangeability and function in all guns for each caliber, thats it. Load data is for reference only. Now if we want to taylor a round specific to our exact chamber thats ok too.
What I dont understand is are you saying if you load a 9mm round within saami coal spec it wont chamber in your gun?
That's correct. It's due to bullet profile. A longer bearing surface that causes the bottom of the ogive to interfere with the lands. Making it necessary to seat bullet deeper. I presume the same can happen with rifle bullets?
I can only speak for my experience with 9mm. My 9mm loads from book data ran fine in a generic gun, CZ75, Sig 938, loaded to book specs. The same loading wouldn't fit in the Kimber Pro aegis or the Tanfoglio Elite limited. So far I've had no issues with the three rifle loads I do. I also adjust the COAL from book specs. I keep powder loads on the low end.

Yep. That's what I gauge everything off throughout most of my brass prep and loading. Of coarse a caliper is used as well. But it is a second form of verification that is super handy.

I don't think I have ever really measured bullets diameters before. Weighed them and measured lengths, never diameter. Now I'm curious. It's a new thing to me, and it kind of makes me wonder about Barnes! I usually stick to Sierra Hornady or when I can find them in a store Bergers. I haven't had a whole lot of good results from the Barnes bullets I've tried. After this thread, I'm not sure I really want to bother with them.

Kind of would hope that bullet diameter would be something hard to screw up considering the processes involved with forging metals. Are Barnes machined? Perhaps that's why, I know they have a lot of solid copper options. Perhaps the lathe tooling is the culprit?
I don't know how the Barnes copper bullets are made, they do not look CNC lathe turned they look pressed or molded.
The bullets I want to use in question here are CNC lathe turned and IMO very precisely finished. Lathe turning is one the most precise way to manufacture round parts you will get exact dimensions. Comparing with the Barnes there is no comparison, the lathe turned bullets are all super precise and the Barnes look rough and inconsistent. The problem with lathe turning though is when the cutting tool wears, which it will with use. If the machinist doesn't monitor that and replace it regularly, you will get larger and larger diameters.... my bad samples are all very precisely consistently the same, they are just oversized.
(this presents a very difficult choice for the mfg which I suspect is part of why I'm not hearing from them. If they do not monitor production lots or dates then they potentially have sold thousands of oversized 223 bullets in this weight and have no real way to recall just a production range....)

I would love a chance to photograph my bullet samples in your gauge, I think that would really clearly show the bullets are bad and much easier to email to the company. A picture is worth a thousand words...

That's correct. It's due to bullet profile. A longer bearing surface that causes the bottom of the ogive to interfere with the lands. Making it necessary to seat bullet deeper. I presume the same can happen with rifle bullets?
I think its the same with rifle bullets. My understanding is that saami doesn't regulate ogive geometry. But they do specify chamber dimensions... so its odd any bullet company would make a bullet with an ogive that would interfere with the rifling leads before coal is met.
But then there are several high BC hunting bullets I want to try that require a longer throated rifle chamber so those and chamber are not to spec. But thats a custom made barrel. I wouldnt expect that in any production rifle or pistol.
Its interesting to learn the many deviations that still work...

I don't know how the Barnes copper bullets are made, they do not look CNC lathe turned they look pressed or molded.
The bullets I want to use in question here are CNC lathe turned and IMO very precisely finished. Lathe turning is one the most precise way to manufacture round parts you will get exact dimensions. Comparing with the Barnes there is no comparison, the lathe turned bullets are all super precise and the Barnes look rough and inconsistent. The problem with lathe turning though is when the cutting tool wears, which it will with use. If the machinist doesn't monitor that and replace it regularly, you will get larger and larger diameters.... my bad samples are all very precisely consistently the same, they are just oversized.
(this presents a very difficult choice for the mfg which I suspect is part of why I'm not hearing from them. If they do not monitor production lots or dates then they potentially have sold thousands of oversized 223 bullets in this weight and have no real way to recall just a production range....)

I would love a chance to photograph my bullet samples in your gauge, I think that would really clearly show the bullets are bad and much easier to email to the company. A picture is worth a thousand words...
Oops, I think I thought that Barnes was the one in question? Or have you not stated the culprit manufacture yet?

PM me, maybe you can send me a few bullets in the mail, I'll load them in spec brass and throw them in the gauge, then send some pictures?

Oops, I think I thought that Barnes was the one in question? Or have you not stated the culprit manufacture yet?

PM me, maybe you can send me a few bullets in the mail, I'll load them in spec brass and throw them in the gauge, then send some pictures?
I havent stated the ones in question yet. The Barnes was just one sample I found in the box, the rest of the box is good... I just thought it interesting to find.

I'll send ya a PM...

Are you speaking of minimum or maximum COAL?

I have 9mm bullets that can not be loaded at max COAL, but I don't have to load them below minimum COAL.
I was thinking of maximum. At first I wasn't certain what Mike was describing but I can see how some bullets might need to be seated deeper as long as they don't exceed the minimum coal.

In my case (223 rifle) I would have to seat the bullets so that the neck rim is over the ogive.

At first I wasn't certain what Mike was describing but I can see how some bullets might need to be seated deeper as long as they don't exceed the minimum coal.
What's minimum COAL? All I see in my resources, (Hodgdon, Lyman 50th and Speer #14) the data is a single COAL, and pressure, and velocity numbers, in their test gun/barrel.

What's minimum COAL? All I see in my resources, (Hodgdon, Lyman 50th and Speer #14) the data is a single COAL, and pressure, and velocity numbers, in their test gun/barrel.
Several of my reloading handbook resources only show the maximum COAL, but SAAMI has a minimum as well. If you go to the SAAMI website and just pick one of the calibers they've updated, you can see (for free) where they have a minimum and a maximum COAL.

There is a min-max range on the SAAMI specifications drawings. For example, per link: 2.775 minimum to 2.955 maximum

Okay. But that is just a range to use. Different profile bullets only need to fall in that range. And we're talking load data, not cartridge dimensions. It is my understanding the the real serious, long range accuracy shooters, fiddle a bunch with COAL. Up to having the bullet touching the lands even. Always keeping pressures in mind and watching for high pressure signs.

Okay. But that is just a range to use. Different profile bullets only need to fall in that range. And we're talking load data, not cartridge dimensions. It is my understanding the the real serious, long range accuracy shooters, fiddle a bunch with COAL. Up to having the bullet touching the lands even. Always keeping pressures in mind and watching for high pressure signs.
SAAMI is a "voluntary" standard, to assure ammo will safely work in any saami spec gun chamber.
You can go longer or shorter but then you cant guarentee it will work in any gun. Thats why reloaders usually say to not shoot other peoples reloads....

Whats Interesting is Im not certain even commercial ammo makers have to follow it? Im not certain how that works cause if I bought commercial ammo that wasnt in saami spec id call that dangerous and defective.

And in my case this applies to components like bullets.

TBH I've never really looked at minimum COAL when loading, but I've usually loaded somewhat close to maximum. I have recently been wondering about certain wadcutter bullets that seat to where the bullet is barely sticking out of the case. If you look at Buffalo Bore .44 Special loads that they label "Anti-Personnel" for instance, they are barely above flush with the case. I've got some similar commerdial handloads with the same wadcutter bullets that I'll have to dig out and measure to see if they meet the SAAMI minimum COAL of 1.415. These particular rounds shoot great out of my S&W 629 Classic. I was considering reloading some for myself and figured I would need to back the powder off due to most of the bullet being down in the case. Ultimately, I got a good deal on some Nosler jacketed hollowpoints and will be working up a load for those instead.

Im not certain how that works cause if I bought commercial ammo that wasnt in saami spec id call that dangerous and defective.
Well, I believe with regard to COAL SAAAMI has established maximum OAL lengths (such as 1.169 I see for 9mm) - but no minimum.

For example I just miked a factory Blazer round of 9mm and it measures 1.143. I don't know the bullet weight but its probably either 115 - 124 as its an aluminum cased round I found last time out shooting.

I guess my point is I suspect most factory ammo will vary in OAL.

Maybe a few can measure some factory 9mm and post the OAL they see.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top