JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well finally upgraded my scale to a V4. Looking forward to seeing the ES drop…

IMG_5210.jpeg

How does a better scale decrease ES?

Its "bit the bullet", folklore; goes back to the days before anesthesia when patients were given a (lead) bullet to clinch in their teeth when operated on.

How does a better scale decrease ES?
Ok, since my brain seems to be too tired to remember, what is ES?
Also nice addition to your bench but not sure if it's better than the others that are available, given that they are a bit cheaper to get. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it, it's just that I can tell a number of parts are made by and for a 3D printer. If someone else has used one of these please chime in, I'm interested to hear your input and comparisons about it vs other name brands.

ES: Extreme Spread. The extreme difference between high and low velocity in a batch of handload.
I'm curious what kind of measurement accuracy the V4 scale gets that reduces ES.
Ok thanks.
Yeah, I'm not sure the difference it will make but the unit says it goes to 0.001g so maybe it's just that much more precise. Though I myself don't see how going that next digit down will help much. As long as you keep the unit stable and recalibrate it once in a while(precaution/maintenance), I'm not sure how far off the mark you can actually get with a digital scale.
@micj83 Let us know how it works out for you.

the unit says it goes to 0.001g so maybe it's just that much more precise. Though I myself don't see how going that next digit down will help much.
Thats the root of my question. Most scales go to +/-0.1gn and many shooters get very low ES from those scales, I suspect there are other things that affect ES than just minor variations in charge weight.

Thats the root of my question. Most scales go to +/-0.1gn and many shooters get very low ES from those scales, I suspect there are other things that affect ES than just minor variations in charge weight.
I realized the scale says g not gr so that would make it ~0.015gr and yeah I'd have to agree that there might be something else.

For g it is .001 for gr it is .01. Coming from a chargemaster Ive had for 10-15 years there is a definite difference .1 vs .01. I loaded some load work up for a buddies .300wm and my 28N, and I would say my chargemaster was about .2 gr low. Ok fair enough. But out of 20 loads I found 3 or 4 that were well outside of -.2 what my old chargemaster claimed. Granted I like RCBS, but I trust clinical scales that are rated higher a lot more. I look forward to seeing more data and will update.

For g it is .001 for gr it is .01. Coming from a chargemaster Ive had for 10-15 years there is a definite difference .1 vs .01. I loaded some load work up for a buddies .300wm and my 28N, and I would say my chargemaster was about .2 gr low. Ok fair enough. But out of 20 loads I found 3 or 4 that were well outside of -.2 what my old chargemaster claimed. Granted I like RCBS, but I trust clinical scales that are rated higher a lot more. I look forward to seeing more data and will update.
If you still have the old unit and it's failing to calibrate correctly, you can send it in and they'll repair or replace it, normally for free.

Last Edited:
I realized the scale says g not gr so that would make it ~0.015gr and yeah I'd have to agree that there might be something else.
I found it, the V4 instruction manual says its accurate within +/-0.02gn charge weight.

as for its effect on ES: +/- 0.04gn wont matter. My guess is +/- 0.1gn would start to show up on ES so having a scale that is accurate less than half a grain could be beneficial to improving ES. It would at the very least be one less thing to worry about trying to lower ES.
1708413878732.png

If you still have the old unit and it's failing to calibrate correctly, you can send it in and they'll repair or replace it, normally for free.
No it calibrated fine. What I found was the factory check weights to be a little light. Both measuring ~49g when they were supposed to be 50. Which would calibrate it lower… at least that's what makes sense in my head.

No it calibrated fine. What I found was the factory check weights to be a little light. Both measuring ~49g when they were supposed to be 50. Which would calibrate it lower… at least that's what makes sense in my head.
If that's the case, you should be able to get the weights replaced if they're not correct.

I've had one for almost a year and absolutely love it.
Takes longer to get powder dumped than my RCBS ChargeMaster, but more accurate and that's what I was looking for.
I've been throwing Retumbo, H1000, and Reloader 22 so far with it, and for me it seems a bit faster. Just had to adjust the setting accordingly of course. My only issue is the recommendation to unbalance the scale to get the desired flow rates. I opted to shim the rear. So far haven't had any issues. As for the weights I popped the top off and added weight till they came out to exactly 50g. Then sold it to a buddy with full disclosure.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top