JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you handload and shoot bullets that measured .2252" dia in a .223 chamber

• Total voters
Reactions
For reasons I dont want to go into details but I ran into a problem and since Im still kinda new to reloading I want to ask a question to see if its me or not...

I ordered some new bullets and wanted to check my jump to the lands and discovered they jammed the lands before they reached SAAMI maximum coal length.

I used a micrometer to measure the bullets diameter and they measured .2252" diameter (average). The rifle caliber is .223.

would you load and shoot these?

I dunno. That seems pretty tight...
Yeah, Im completely on hold with these. I should emphasise that I cant reach SAAMI maximum COAL without jamming the lands. Other bullets are fine with a long jump to the lands from SAAMI max.

I don't sweat the OAL too much if paying attention to the lands. Many different nose profiles cause issues like this. But that bullet diameter is an absolute.

Brand and style of bullet?
not right now, Im waiting to hear from the mfg about a refund or solution and dont want to give anyone a bad rap if they treat me well.
I just need to know if Im missing something on my end experience wise.

I don't sweat the OAL too much if paying attention to the lands. Many different nose profiles cause issues like this. But that bullet diameter is an absolute.
Im not certain... These are caliber .223 rem so they should measure .2245" +0 / -.003" per SAAMI is that correct?
I want to emphasise again that I cant even reach SAAMI maximum COAL length without jamming the lands. My guess is the ogive is related to the oversized diameter and is whats hitting the lands prematurely. These jam/touch the lands at 2.233" (avg), saami max is 2.260". To me not being able to load -within- saami spec is a huge red flag.

For reasons I dont want to go into details but I ran into a problem and since Im still kinda new to reloading I want to ask a question to see if its me or not...

I ordered some new bullets and wanted to check my jump to the lands and discovered they jammed the lands before they reached SAAMI maximum coal length.

I used a micrometer to measure the bullets diameter and they measured .2252" diameter (average). The rifle caliber is .223.

would you load and shoot these?
I wouldn't as that size is meant for 225 Winchester cartridges.
Jamming the bullet into the lands risks pushing the bullet deeper into the case there by creating an unsafe situation.
I would not use them, if you're stuck with them don't use them till they are resized to max .224.

not right now, Im waiting to hear from the mfg about a refund or solution and dont want to give anyone a bad rap if they treat me well.
I just need to know if Im missing something on my end experience wise.
I wouldn't say that it would give them a bad wrap, but it would help others if they happen to have those as well. More of a safety PSA.

If you are un-comfortable using those bullets then don't use them. No one on the internet is going to have their face behind those loads but you. If that's a place you don't want to go then don't go there.

I wouldn't say that it would give them a bad wrap, but it would help others if they happen to have those as well. More of a safety PSA.
absolutely but Im still in negotiations... I think. Stellar customer service except today so Im worried. I just need to know if its me, something Im missing due to inexperience. I dont know what the official spec is for bullets, is it the same dimensions on the sammi spec for the cartridge case?

thats all I have to go by...

If you are un-comfortable using those bullets then don't use them. No one on the internet is going to have their face behind those loads but you. If that's a place you don't want to go then don't go there.
Thats the easy part to decide. Im not using them... they are bad and I know it. (unless someone can show me they are allowed to vary that much).

The problem is I spent $94 bucks on the order and want a replacement. I want to know for a fact I cant use them before I make my case....

Thats the easy part to decide. Im not using them... they are bad and I know it. (unless someone can show me they are allowed to vary that much).

The problem is I spent $94 bucks on the order and want a replacement. I want to know for a fact I cant use them before I make my case....
That's the facts, Jack. They are the wrong size and you're not using them.

I wouldn't, based upon this information…. Seems those bullets would need to be resized before using…. That's from the Hornady 10 edition reloading manual.

1EFE1C13-6AC8-4B5E-9631-C55ACAEAB511.jpeg

To me not being able to load -within- saami spec is a huge red flag.
Not necessarily.

Over my 'life' of reloading I have often reloaded ammo that was shorter than spec for OAL but this was due to odd shaped bullets that would hit the lands if loaded within standard OAL length but they were withing spec for DIAMETER.

In these cases I would perform the 'poor man's' OAL length procedure which is taking an unsized case, squeezing the mouth a bit to hold a bullet then carefully 'chambering' it and closing the action. Then (carefully) extracting the 'round' so as to not move the bullet, measure the OAL and subtract 2-3 thou and seat at that depth to clear the lands.

This is an 'old school' method that is described in more than a few reloading manuals, HOWEVER - the diameter of .2252 is excessive and like you, I would wait for an answer from the mfg.

saami is all I know of to look for, im not certain if this dimension is for the case neck ID or the bullet OD?
I guess looking closer at this the dimension is for the bullet since it needs to be press fit into the neck.

1675914090444.png

Not necessarily.

Over my 'life' of reloading I have often reloaded ammo that was shorter than spec for OAL but this was due to odd shaped bullets that would hit the lands if loaded within standard OAL length but they were withing spec for DIAMETER.
If my bullets diameter was in spec I might consider this.

for me to use these Id have to seat them where the ovige is just past the neck rim to get any appreciable minimal jump.

Ditto this.

FWIW I just 'miked' a bunch of .223 bullets of varying mfgs. and saw .2235 - .224 - and nothing larger.
Ive micd a bunch of other brands many samples and get the same.

Side note, I did get one lone 55g Barnes TTSX that measured .225 but it was like this "lone ranger" in the box.

For me the answer would be "it depends".

An oversize bullet can be used safely, when done right. I've done it many times under specific circumstances.

Ordering standard bullets for a standard load, and receiving oversized bullets would make me unhappy too. I wouldn't be comfortable using them in the place of standard bullets in a standard load. Hopefully they make it right.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top