JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is why I most likely won't be traveling to the Portland area again. IIRC can't open carry. Won't issue a concealed carry unless you have a reason which must be granted by the king.......

Where do you get this? I've never heard of anything like this in MultCo?

And you can open carry (loaded) in Portland/MultCo with a concealed carry permit. Yeah, I know, goofy. But I would say that anyone who knows anything of Portland and STILL chooses to open carry isn't to smart. o_O

And the people that are willing to jump through all these hoops to exercise their rights are of course the people that we are the most worried won't follow the law :confused:

That is why I most likely won't be traveling to the Portland area again. IIRC can't open carry. Won't issue a concealed carry unless you have a reason which must be granted by the king.......

When does all this craziness end? Oregon and Washington will be just like California before too long. Then they will come for Idaho and Montana. We are thinking really hard about moving, but if we as a nation are just going to keep letting our rights be restricted why bother moving to a place that is next on the list?

Living in a Blue State you are behind enemy lines. But the entire country is under attack.

Where do you get this? I've never heard of anything like this in MultCo?

And you can open carry (loaded) in Portland/MultCo with a concealed carry permit. Yeah, I know, goofy. But I would say that anyone who knows anything of Portland and STILL chooses to open carry isn't to smart. o_O
chl_application.pdf
I am a Washington State resident and I have a compelling reason for wanting a Concealed Handgun permit in Oregon. (Residents of Multnomah County—please skip this statement or write N/A)
Brief Explanation of Reason:

concealed-handguns
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS

The Linn County Sheriff has changed his policy on issuing concealed handgun licenses to non-residents. You must possess a CHL from your home state. Due to differing requirements, an out-of-state concealed handgun license may not satisfy the competency requirements (if they do not, please refer to the "Proof of Competency" section at the top of the page). In addition, your reason for wanting a CHL must have ties that are specific to Linn County.

My point is that you are already jumping through hoops for these people just to be able to exercise a right that they have NO RIGHT to give or authorize (IMO). So you try to comply with these rules and regulations and find that they add in extra stipulations.

What do you do when you live out of State yet visit frequently and they no longer allow ANY non-residents to obtain CHL's? I'm sure that is coming eventually. Currently you have to go shopping for a County that will deign to grant you permission to be armed while on the kings land. Yet I'm sure you can find a loophole for an Illegal to get some sort of quasi above board citizenship that will allow them to get what an actual Citizen of these United States may not be able to obtain.

It infuriates me that if I want to take my daughter to visit her Great Grandmother in Portland I have to choose between being unarmed and risking some possibly severe penalties. All because I would choose to give us a chance to not be victims because we are armed.

https://www.mcso.us/site/pdf/chl_application.pdf

Oregon is a shall issue state to residents but not out of state residents.

It's very easy to get a permit in Oregon if you live in Washington.

Very easy if you are willing to follow directions.

Multnomah county and Columbia county are the only counties issuing out of state permits. Beat your head against the wall all you like but i learned this from taking my Oregon concealed carry class.

You will need two references. And a reason for carrying in that county. COUNTY. A god reason is not because you drive thru a lot.i spend a lot of time in Columbia county for recreation. (Hint) hiking etc....

I may not agree with Oregon concealed carry laws but honestly if you have half a brain it's pretty simple to get.

So here are your choices... complain it's hard... or spend 15 minutes of your time filling out the paperwork. Make an appointment for fingerprints. Wait 3or 4weeks and permit in hand. (Columbia county)

Now is that so hard? If they deny you.. well.. you might be shady

tenor.gif

Well maybe it works fine for you. I'd just assume avoid any area that places unreasonable restrictions on citizens. The fact is that most counties want you to have a specific reason to obtain your CHL in their county. I had thought about going down to Umatilla, but it is the same pretty much everywhere.

CHL
  • Be a resident of Umatilla County (This may be waived for residents bordering states with a compelling business interest or legitimate demonstrated need)
You see this is what the Left does:
"Why do you need to carry a pistol?"
"Why do you need to own an AR15?"
"Are machine guns really legal to own?!!! Why would anyone need to own one?"

I imagine some of these counties came up with that language because they feel that the paperwork and bureaucratic nonsense that comes with providing CHL's is a waste of their resources and this cuts down on that 'drain'.

If my family down there wants to see us we can meet somewhere outside that hellhole Liberal cess pool that is the PDX Metro area. We can congregate where normal folks can open carry. Or they can travel up here. Which has been working for me just fine. The main reason I am bothered by these unreasonable restrictions is my Grandmother does not travel any longer and she has only seen her great grand daughter once.

I don't carry a pistol because I think that a violent encounter will happen. I carry because I realize it is a possibility and I need to defend my family. In a similar vein, I don't wear my seatbelt because I think I will get in an accident. I wear one just in case I do get in an accident.

At what point do infringements on the 2nd Amendment become too unreasonable to you people who say this is not a problem? If ever......

Sherman County does, out of state, permits. They're right on the border too.

<broken link removed>
OUT OF STATE APPLICANT: I currently live in a contiguous state and am applying as an out of state applicant.
All out of state new applicants and renewals must include a statement of compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need which exhibits a correlation to Sherman County.

So is Sherman County ignoring a requirement they set forth? Or did you meet that requirement? What did you write on the form? If they more or less don't care what your reason is I guess I just don't understand why that statement is on the list?

So don't get a permit. Lol.

I'm not wrong because i got my permit as did my co workers and the guys I shoot with.

So me... and two of my co workers this year.... plus every guy from Washington I shot with. (4 more) We didn't easily get our Oregon permits? I'm confused how we are wrong and didn't.

I thought this post was how to get an Oregon permit if you are from Washington? Not some silly argument of why you don't even try.

i agree with you about Oregon laws. Duh.. but that isn't what this post is about.

1. Apply for permit
2. Get permit

3... then complain about the process.

There ya go

ONE MORE TIME

MULTNOMAH AND COLUMBIA COUNTIES ARE THE ONLY ONES GIVING PERMITS TO BORDER STATE RESIDENTS.

Bang you're head against the wall all you like.. or try listening

Oregon is a shall issue state to residents but not out of state residents.

It's very easy to get a permit in Oregon if you live in Washington.

Very easy if you are willing to follow directions.

Multnomah county and Columbia county are the only counties issuing out of state permits. Beat your head against the wall all you like but i learned this from taking my Oregon concealed carry class.

You will need two references. And a reason for carrying in that county. COUNTY. A god reason is not because you drive thru a lot.i spend a lot of time in Columbia county for recreation. (Hint) hiking etc....

I may not agree with Oregon concealed carry laws but honestly if you have half a brain it's pretty simple to get.

So here are your choices... complain it's hard... or spend 15 minutes of your time filling out the paperwork. Make an appointment for fingerprints. Wait 3or 4weeks and permit in hand. (Columbia county)

Now is that so hard? If they deny you.. well.. you might be shady
I think the disconnect is that since you live 5 hours closer to commieville you don't see the bottleneck of only issuing CHLs from the PDX area as a problem.

So don't get a permit. Lol.

I'm not wrong because i got my permit as did my co workers and the guys I shoot with.

So me... and two of my co workers this year.... plus every guy from Washington I shot with. (4 more) We didn't easily get our Oregon permits? I'm confused how we are wrong and didn't.

I thought this post was how to get an Oregon permit if you are from Washington? Not some silly argument of why you don't even try.

i agree with you about Oregon laws. Duh.. but that isn't what this post is about.

1. Apply for permit
2. Get permit

3... then complain about the process.

There ya go

ONE MORE TIME

MULTNOMAH AND COLUMBIA COUNTIES ARE THE ONLY ONES GIVING PERMITS TO BORDER STATE RESIDENTS.

Bang you're head against the wall all you like.. or try listening

I say you are wrong and it is not easy to obtain an Oregon CHL. Nor is it reasonable to force someone to travel 3 hours further away to obtain a.........."service". Calling it a service is laughable really. To me there is no reason I shouldn't be able to get this done in any other county in Oregon.

For some reason you think I don't comprehend the process of getting an Oregon CHL. I understand it just fine. As I stated in my first response in this thread:
That is why I most likely won't be traveling to the Portland area again.

Meaning it is all too much hassle to me and I disagree with the entire premise of needing a CHL to begin with.

We have a difference of opinion you are in this case willing to jump through hoops like a good little circus animal and in this instance I am not. I wonder if you lived on the East side of the state if you would look at this the same way? Or maybe by the time your renewal comes up they will require you to get new prints done in person. Only thing is you will need to go to Malheur County in Ontario to get it done. No problem right :rolleyes:

I regret what the Coastal NW has become. California's gun laws and people flow north and it slips further and further away.

BATTERY, this thread is all yours as I have nothing useful to add.

No you don't

I guess when I visit Oregon I can carry my gun. Lol. Hoop jumper i am.

But seriously. You showed Oregon. Lol.

This reminds me why i quit posting on gun boards years ago. I was just trying to help anyone who wanted to know how get an Oregon permit.

Some people will argue with others even if they agree.

Again.

Lesson learned. I will go back to lurking and not Sharing the information I have.

Last Edited:
No you don't

I guess when I visit Oregon I can carry my gun. Lol. Hoop jumper i am.

But seriously. You showed Oregon. Lol.

This reminds me why i quit posting on gun boards years ago. I was just trying to help anyone who wanted to know how get an Oregon permit.

Some people will argue with others even if they agree.

Again.

Lesson learned. I will go back to lurking and not Sharing the information I have.

Yeah, well Kalama sucks ever since the Key t avern ( tav ern is a bubblegummed out word? )closed :). I always remember that town as having the prettiest girls per capita in the Northwest.

In my experience gun boards bring out the worst in people. I started with glocktalk back in 1999or so. Then AK-47.net etc etc....

Different time.. same personality types.. Most are great but it's hard to post withought someone hijacking a thread and bringing up something that doesn't even belong in that discussion.

i thought there was a forum here for political talk. Etc etc...

I thought i unsubscribed from this thread.

Alright then...Back on track...

Note for those who travel from far away and the frugal ones who like to get the most out of your money. You can renew within 90 days of your expiration date. If your permit expires 90 days out and you re-up today. The new issue date is from when they re-issue and not from expiration. In my case I lost right at 2 1/2 months as it turned around in two weeks.

Linn County does not issue out of state permits to Washington residents anymore.. This is a no go.. They claim if you have family/friends in Linn county and a very compelling reason they may issue a permit for you. Basically, Linn County has now shifted to being another anti-gun Oregon county.. Real shame.. Columbia County seems almost useless to me with a 6 month wait time..

I am sure Oregon is pretty much striving to ban all gun permits and conceal carry as we know it, so for the time being they will just stick it to the out of staters, before they revoke the permits for all its residents and switch to being a "May Issue" state.

I guess I am trying to get another Oregon CHL and disgruntled at how many sheriffs are caving into the anti-gun agenda as a means to protect their funding from the crooked fascist Oregon governor and other liberal loonies in Oregon state government.

Looks like Multnomah county issues CHL permits to everyone in Washington without too much of a hassle. I never thought I see the day where Multnomah County Sheriff becomes the most pro-gun sheriff in the state.. Anyhow, Multnomah and Grant county are the two only viable options. If you are patient and don't mind waiting 4-6 months, you can go to Columbia County, but they are full of hassles. Columbia county wants a long letter explaining why you should have the right to conceal a gun in the state of Oregon , as well as a long questionnaire that must be filled out by two references. No thanks!

Sheesh! what a PITA for WA residents.

What is surprising is how (relatively) easy it was to get WA privileges as an OR resident. I needed to get a Utah CC permit which got me the ability to CC in pretty much all of the western US except for CA and CO.

One afternoon class, send in my check and the application, CC permit in the mail in about 4 weeks, done!

I am a Washington resident and just got my Oregon CC without a problem last month. As a side note The Oregon cards are so much nicer then the Washington ones - WA looks like I made it myself. There is a lot of drama talked about but I did not experience it.
I printed the forms from the Mult. Co sheriffs website, filled them out. Under the question (for out-of-state applicants only) of why I wanted the permit, I put "For personal safety." I mailed it in, got an email a few weeks later with a time/day to go it to the Multnomah sheriffs office , appointment took all of 5 minutes with fingerprinting, ID copying, and signing. Then another two weeks later my permit arrived in the mail.
Easy as pie!

How long was the time between the email and the appointment?

This seems pretty straight forward. I agree the hoops are rediculous but until we get a national carry recognition, it's going to get worse not better.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top