JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There are a few older threads on this topic, while I hate to add clutter I figured I would share my findings and experience.

WA resident here, obtained my WA permit rather quickly and was looking into the OR permit. I contacted many counties and figured sharing some of the info I obtained might help anyone else in a similar situation in the future. I stuck to Northern Oregon and worked my way down somewhat.

A LOT of the older threads I found while searching suggested Grant county, currently Grant county suspended their out of state applications so that is a no go.

A good buddy and member here of the forums suggested Calackamas since you generally get issued the card the same day you get printed, they also suspended their out of state applications so again no go.

Columbia county seemed like a decent option but it was roughly 2 months before I could schedule an appointment, it was nice you can set it up online but I kept looking.

Multnomah county, I read conflicting reports about whether they issue out of state cards. I believe they do and even went to the office to drop off my application (DO NOT go on Wednesdays and make the mistake I did, as I accidentally wandered into the sex offender line and came much closer than I ever thought to accidentally registering as a sex offender. The wife got a good laugh out of that one). The end result is they will take 3 weeks to get you an appointment and are about 3-4 months down the road so it is a long process with them.

I called many more counties and most said they do not issue out of state cards or appointments were too far out.

Linn county was the sweet spot, while somewhat far from the WA border (about 2 hours) there was no appointment needed to get fingerprinted and was an easy process. Two weeks exactly from the day I applied I received the OR permit in my mailbox.

Of course as I learned a lot of this information is subject to change in the future. As of my creating this post it is accurate, if you are reading this far in the future hopefully some of this is still relevant.

TLDR: I can cross the Columbia now and do not have to worry. Thanks Sheriff Riley and Linn county!

Last Edited:
Glad to hear it finally worked out for you. On the reverse side, I came across the river to the sheriff's office in Vancouver and got processed in nothing flat, didn't even take my picture! Card came in the mail after a couple of weeks.

Glad to hear it finally worked out for you. On the reverse side, I came across the river to the sheriff's office in Vancouver and got processed in nothing flat, didn't even take my picture! Card came in the mail after a couple of weeks.

Congrats! I agree WA is somewhat more friendly to out of state applications from what I have read. Maybe since the OR permit is 1000x nicer they are more selective, WA gives you a dumb piece of card stock paper with no picture and that needs to be laminated to have any hope of lasting 5 years.

Multnomah county, I read conflicting reports about whether they issue out of state cards. I believe they do and even went to the office to drop off my application (DO NOT go on Wednesdays and make the mistake I did, as I accidentally wandered into the sex offender line and came much closer than I ever thought to accidentally registering as a sex offender. The wife got a good laugh out of that one). The end result is they will take 3 weeks to get you an appointment and are about 3-4 months down the road so it is a long process with them.

When I applied several years ago I was approved within 30 days. I know the wait is much longer now due to demand and they also stopped taking out of state apps for awhile. I just renewed mine and the process was as easy at it was the first time. Went in, paid the fee, new picture and the card came in the mail in less than 30 days. Stanton seems to be very open to issuing permits to out of state residents in my experience as many of my friends sailed right through as well with no issues.

That's good to know. Now I'll get my papers filled out. Did you have to make appts?

There are a few older threads on this topic, while I hate to add clutter I figured I would share my findings and experience.

WA resident here, obtained my WA permit rather quickly and was looking into the OR permit. I contacted many counties and figured sharing some of the info I obtained might help anyone else in a similar situation in the future. I stuck to Northern Oregon and worked my way down somewhat.

A LOT of the older threads I found while searching suggested Grant county, currently Grant county suspended their out of state applications so that is a no go.

A good buddy and member here of the forums suggested Calackamas since you generally get issued the card the same day you get printed, they also suspended their out of state applications so again no go.

Columbia county seemed like a decent option but it was roughly 2 months before I could schedule an appointment, it was nice you can set it up online but I kept looking.

I called many more counties and most said they do not issue out of state cards or appointments were too far out.

Linn county was the sweet spot, while somewhat far from the WA border (about 2 hours) there was no appointment needed to get fingerprinted and was an easy process. Two weeks exactly from the day I applied I received the OR permit in my mailbox.

Of course as I learned a lot of this information is subject to change in the future. As of my creating this post it is accurate, if you are reading this far in the future hopefully some of this is still relevant.

TLDR: I can cross the Columbia now and do not have to worry. Thanks Sheriff Riley and Linn county!
I am looking at the Linn County option for later this week. I know they ask for two "local" references. Were the references you provided local to where you live in Washington or were they Oregon residents? I am curious because I do not want to lose the $65 application fee just because I provided the references from the wrong state.

I am looking at the Linn County option for later this week. I know they ask for two "local" references. Were the references you provided local to where you live in Washington or were they Oregon residents? I am curious because I do not want to lose the $65 application fee just because I provided the references from the wrong state.
The references I used were both Oregon residents who both live in portland. Ironically they were both two buddies I met through this site during range cleanup events.

Ive often thought about getting my Washington permit. I have an Oregon permit (resident) and i can carry on duty in OR and WA. I think i would like my Utah permit though because of its reciprocity. Not sure of all the states included in that though.

My wife and I live in CA and the ONLY county that took my wife's app in person was Klamath, which was a 5-hour trip. Very friendly staff and a breeze to process the app. Unfortunately we will be in the same boat as you next year when we relocate to WA. Her OR CCW also needs to be renewed when we move to WA, so we will be looking for an OR county considerably closer to us.

I got my permit in oregon when I lived there many moons ago. Renewals have always been easy as long as you chekc the websites for days and hours before you go.
I was really surprised at how nice and easy the process was for getting my renewal this last time in Oregon.

Washington has always been easy and friendly.

Pretty crappy so many counties are closing the borders to permits in oregon, but it doesn't surprise me either.

I applied for and received both my Oregon and Washington concealed carry licenses this last year. I can say for certain that as a resident of Multnomah County, it was a lot faster and easier to obtain a Washington CPL than my Oregon one. The time from submitting my application to receiving the license in Multnomah County was exactly 5 months. Clark County Sherrif's Office took 3 to 4 weeks.

im an OR resident and still have yet to apply for my WA license. i messaged a fellow member here a while back and it seems like the Clark Co. Sheriffs office is the place to get it.

im an OR resident and still have yet to apply for my WA license. i messaged a fellow member here a while back and it seems like the Clark Co. Sheriffs office is the place to get it.
Yeah, it was super easy. Sherrif's Office is kind of confusing to find, but not too bad. Super busy, but I dropped right in before Thanksgiving and it didn't take me more than 30 minutes. They say out of state can take up to up 60 days, but I had mine in about 4 weeks. No class needed or references. Just your current ID and payment.

Yeah, it was super easy. Sherrif's Office is kind of confusing to find, but not too bad. Super busy, but I dropped right in before Thanksgiving and it didn't take me more than 30 minutes. They say out of state can take up to up 60 days, but I had mine in about 4 weeks. No class needed or references. Just your current ID and payment.
thanks for the info. if only buying suppressors were that easy!:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads