JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am a WA resident. I walked in (no appt. necessary) to the Linn County courthouse and applied for an out-of-state Oregon license on January 18th and received it in the mail January 27th.

No waiting in line, no appointments, and a less than ten-day turnaround. Linn County is the way to go. They do require that you possess a WA CHL to issue you an Oregon one. I hope this info. helps somebody else!

Nice to hear, Hobo. I'm looking to do the same. I visited their website, and it didn't appear they would entertain an out-of-state application. Glad they do.

Do you need to take a handgun class so you can get an Oregon permit? I know WA CPL you don't even need to take a class. I have been shooting handguns for more than 25 years now.

There are a few older threads on this topic, while I hate to add clutter I figured I would share my findings and experience.

WA resident here, obtained my WA permit rather quickly and was looking into the OR permit. I contacted many counties and figured sharing some of the info I obtained might help anyone else in a similar situation in the future. I stuck to Northern Oregon and worked my way down somewhat.

A LOT of the older threads I found while searching suggested Grant county, currently Grant county suspended their out of state applications so that is a no go.

A good buddy and member here of the forums suggested Calackamas since you generally get issued the card the same day you get printed, they also suspended their out of state applications so again no go.

Columbia county seemed like a decent option but it was roughly 2 months before I could schedule an appointment, it was nice you can set it up online but I kept looking.

Multnomah county, I read conflicting reports about whether they issue out of state cards. I believe they do and even went to the office to drop off my application (DO NOT go on Wednesdays and make the mistake I did, as I accidentally wandered into the sex offender line and came much closer than I ever thought to accidentally registering as a sex offender. The wife got a good laugh out of that one). The end result is they will take 3 weeks to get you an appointment and are about 3-4 months down the road so it is a long process with them.

I called many more counties and most said they do not issue out of state cards or appointments were too far out.

Linn county was the sweet spot, while somewhat far from the WA border (about 2 hours) there was no appointment needed to get fingerprinted and was an easy process. Two weeks exactly from the day I applied I received the OR permit in my mailbox.

Of course as I learned a lot of this information is subject to change in the future. As of my creating this post it is accurate, if you are reading this far in the future hopefully some of this is still relevant.

TLDR: I can cross the Columbia now and do not have to worry. Thanks Sheriff Riley and Linn county!
Note to self: avoid any county with a line at the sex offender window.

Grant county sheriffs website states that they have suspended all non-resident services.
So strange to think of the exercising of a right as a service someone must provide to me.
This is probably due to the hate campaign instituted against Sheriff Palmer by the Oregonian, Gov. Kate Brown, and the local newspaper (owned by a retired Oregonian reporter) for his alleged role in the Malheur standoff. They accused him of aiding and abetting the protesters because he met with them once, and was going to be at a public meeting that they were headed to when Lavoy Finnicum was murdered. The urban liberals tried everything in the book to get him decertified and defeated in the most recent election. The actual residents had none of it and re-elected him.

Still, one of the criticisms from the left-wingers was that he issued too many CHLs to out-of-state people. I suspect that's why this recent change was made. You can thank the effete elite of Oregon's political-media complex for this.

Last Edited:
This is probably due to the hate campaign instituted against Sheriff Palmer by the Oregonian, Gov. Kate Brown, and the local newspaper (owned by a retired Oregonian reporter) for his alleged role in the Malheur standoff. They accused him of aiding and abetting the protesters because he met with them once, and was going to be at a public meeting that they were headed to when Lavoy Finnicum was murdered. The urban liberals tried everything in the book to get him decertified at defeated in the most recent election. The actual residents had none of it and re-elected him.

Still, one of the criticisms from the left-wingers was that he issued too many CHLs to out-of-state people. I suspect that's why this recent change was made. You can thank the effete elite of Oregon's political-media complex for this.
And the people that are willing to jump through all these hoops to exercise their rights are of course the people that we are the most worried won't follow the law :confused:

That is why I most likely won't be traveling to the Portland area again. IIRC can't open carry. Won't issue a concealed carry unless you have a reason which must be granted by the king.......

When does all this craziness end? Oregon and Washington will be just like California before too long. Then they will come for Idaho and Montana. We are thinking really hard about moving, but if we as a nation are just going to keep letting our rights be restricted why bother moving to a place that is next on the list?

Living in a Blue State you are behind enemy lines. But the entire country is under attack.

And the people that are willing to jump through all these hoops to exercise their rights are of course the people that we are the most worried won't follow the law :confused:

That is why I most likely won't be traveling to the Portland area again. IIRC can't open carry. Won't issue a concealed carry unless you have a reason which must be granted by the king.......

When does all this craziness end? Oregon and Washington will be just like California before too long. Then they will come for Idaho and Montana. We are thinking really hard about moving, but if we as a nation are just going to keep letting our rights be restricted why bother moving to a place that is next on the list?

Living in a Blue State you are behind enemy lines. But the entire country is under attack.
You're right, it shouldn't be that way. I'd love it if it weren't that way. But it is that way. I have found that I can either wish it were some other way, or I can deal with the reality that it is that way. I choose to deal with that reality.

i recently got my carry permit for Oregon. (Wa resident).

The ladies at the sheriffs office in saint helens were great. Very friendly and helpful.

i spend a lot of time in that county for recreation. Not just driving thru.....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top