JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where on I-5 in Oregon did the limit go to 75mph? I dont show my permit either and recieved the same response from a city cop once, I just put em in their place when they start in on the (supposed) laws.

Its not......hence the smilely face. My attempt to say it should be 75 mph, since that Is what everyone drives at.

YES I WAS GOING 78! :s0131:

Never argue on the side of the road you never win. If there is a real problem then it is time to file a report or take it to court where you can win.

This is not to say dont see if the LEO is open to hearing the truth if they want but what can you actually gain on the side of the road by pushing it?
Please don't get me wrong here I was not looking for a fight at all, my responses were yes mam no mam. I did not raise my voice at all and my hands never left the wheel. She was the one going off!

There should be no mistake here: Just because a person is a LAW ENFORCEMENT Officer, it does NOT mean that they have a law degree.

1) We must know our own rights
2) Either fight for those rights in the moment and win in court LATER...or just say, "I'm sorry," and get out of there ASAP.

Unless the fight is worth in the moment, I would rather just be respectful and give a little grace for them not knowing the law.

She was probably a raving liberal and so anti-gun she spits on those rights. But you STILL should not have argued.

I understand your point and I have seriously thought about what happened over and over again. I even discussed this with a friend of mine who is a Idaho Stater. His thoughts were that I went from a routine traffic stop to a known person with a handgun and the reality hit her what was happening. Which sent her off because she felt I was trying to pull something over on her. He then explained to me that cops have just about no chance of getting the drop on someone in vehicle that is intent on shooting them and proceeded to explain the simunitions training he has done. AND I know I was speeding OK! But it was not dangerous or reckless just a sunny day with little traffic on a Sunday morning.

So again point taken!

I don't have a problem with telling a cop I'm carrying. They are always a little on edge because they don't know who they are meeting. But if I wasn't carrying and didn't have my license on me, I would see no reason to.

I know the law doesn't require it, but the cop is going to find out you have a permit and why not put them at ease up front? "Officer, I have a CHL and I have a gun at 4:00. You are in absolutely no danger from me. Is there anything I can do to make you more comfortable?" I've done that a couple of times and got nothing but courtesy in return.

BTW many here know I don't like most cops AT ALL but I also don't like hassling with them.

$.02

Roger that

Where in Oregon is there a 75MPH speed limit?????? I've been from one end of the state to the other on I5 and there is nothing posted higher then 65mph. So if you were 13mph over the speed limit which you were if you were in Oregon I have no doubt she was Pissed OFF.

It's not ........hence the smile ..........I was speeding ! But 78 on I 5 how bad of a mood does that actually put you in?

Where in Oregon is there a 75MPH speed limit?????? I've been from one end of the state to the other on I5 and there is nothing posted higher then 65mph. So if you were 13mph over the speed limit which you were if you were in Oregon I have no doubt she was Pissed OFF.

Excuse me. It's her place to pull you over and either write you a ticket or arrest you. It's not her place to give her opinion of your actions, to be judge or jury, or get "pissed off". Your actions aren't a personal affront to the officer, and even if they were, the officer is supposed to be a detached professional, not a hot headed vigilante. Too many officers these days don't understand that.

I will add something to my previous comments.

Regardless of whether you disagree with a LEO or not, its always best to comply courteously. If you do not like what they had to say or what they may have given you, just smile and nod and take it up with the judge later. There are other avenues that can be taken if you have a problem with a specific officer, arguing/aggravating only tends to make things worse...

Roger that!

Please don't get me wrong here I was not looking for a fight at all, my responses were yes mam no mam. I did not raise my voice at all and my hands never left the wheel. She was the one going off!

That time of the month? Bad hair day? Broke a nail? We'll never know. :)

I am not saying this is why it happened to you, but I can't see it happening to me. I disclose. I do not talk back, ESPECIALLY if I know I am in the wrong. You never know what kind of day a cop had; may be already on their nerves. Not my job to test how much more they can take, or how much they know about the law. I treat she cops just like he cops. Women can often "smell" a mile away when a man does not respects her, even if we don't say a single disrespecting word. My wife has over the last 25 yr repeatedly proven that point.

It takes hard work to stay under the radar.

My $0.022 (in 2010 US$, adjusted for inflation)

See, thats the problem though. Man or woman, as a police officer they should be professional at all times. If they can't take some heat because their nerves are fried, they shouldn't be out on the road, especially if they don't know the law. These days they sure don't seem real keen on giving fellow citizens a break but expect one for themselves because "they're just human".

hey could someone tell me the ORS on concealled carry open carry and having to disclose please

Bottom line is you don't have to............BUT I would say fellow CHL's are split on the decision. If you have a CHL you can open carry in any place that is not Federal or where private property states that they do not honor CHL people's rights.

Please review the ORS's for yourself - Ken S are you out there?

I had a similar thing happen to me on I-5. I was going to work in the morning when they were doing all that god awful road work, and I got pulled over for "swerving" but really I was driving at that time my old rust crap box of a car.

So I role down my window about an inch and the cop tells me I was swerving and asked if I had been drinking. I responded with "I will not answer any of your questions." he they said "What?!" I then repeated myself, and in disbelief he asked why, I said "5th amendment" Noticeably pissed at me he asked for my license, and my CHL falls out of my wallet. He they steps back and put a hand on his gun asking if I have a weapon in the car, I said "I told you I will not answer any of your questions"

I give him my paperwork and after about10min he comes back and says yelling at me "Are you on any Medication?" I sit there silent staring straight ahead, the "Have you been drinking?" still silent sitting there, he looks at me thinking I will give a response for about 30 sec then pushes my paper work back to me and yells "Drive safe" slams his door and then peels out down the off ramp.

I had a similar thing happen to me on I-5. I was going to work in the morning when they were doing all that god awful road work, and I got pulled over for "swerving" but really I was driving at that time my old rust crap box of a car.

So I role down my window about an inch and the cop tells me I was swerving and asked if I had been drinking. I responded with "I will not answer any of your questions." he they said "What?!" I then repeated myself, and in disbelief he asked why, I said "5th amendment" Noticeably pissed at me he asked for my license, and my CHL falls out of my wallet. He they steps back and put a hand on his gun asking if I have a weapon in the car, I said "I told you I will not answer any of your questions"

I give him my paperwork and after about10min he comes back and says yelling at me "Are you on any Medication?" I sit there silent staring straight ahead, the "Have you been drinking?" still silent sitting there, he looks at me thinking I will give a response for about 30 sec then pushes my paper work back to me and yells "Drive safe" slams his door and then peels out down the off ramp.

I do the very same thing and it is hilarious.

oh i just wanted you to know that my last post was in reply to your reply . all i was asking is if there is a ors that says that you dont have to disclose that info on a traffic stop... i do realize that you dont but i would like to carry the proof with me justg to throw it in there face
Bottom line is you don't have to............BUT I would say fellow CHL's are split on the decision. If you have a CHL you can open carry in any place that is not Federal or where private property states that they do not honor CHL people's rights.

Please review the ORS's for yourself - Ken S are you out there?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top