JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was pulled over a while back on I-5 going slightly over the speed limit of 75 MPH:D

Anyway I rolled the window down, vehicle in park, both hands on the wheel with ORDL and Ins papers. She (Motorcycle cop), asked the typical questions about where's the fire and how come I am going so fast......la dee daw ......Yes I was going 78.....any who she spends time back at the bike and on the radio, I am watching all this in the mirror and then ...she quickly looks up and gets behind her bike. I am thinking oh oooh! This lasted for a couple more minutes and she walks up this time her hand is on her gun and she is very close to the side of my vehicle and reads my the riot act of why did I not show her my CHL and where is the weapon located? I explained to her that I was not carrying it and there were no weapons in the vehicle and even if there were none of the training or ORS's state that I have to do that (I already new I was getting a ticket because I say her write it) and why would she treat me like a threat even if I was LEGALY CARRYING it. I am in the system, I have had and passed a background check. I would think someone who hasn't passed a background check would be a much bigger threat? I also asked why she thinks any CHL carrier would pose a higher threat we are a known quantity compared to other people the OSP pulls over. She explained that I am required to disclose the CHL and location of the weapon and that it could be taken away for failure to disclose it to her. .......At this point I could not keep my mouth shut ......I wish ....I had but .....so a couple of verbal jabs on her part and I just said I know what my rights are and what I am required to do as a CHL holder and disclosure is not part of it. Well that bought me another 20 minutes of being late for work ....while I am sure she was trying to find something to bust me on. ........so next time just disclose? NOPE! But I won't talk back either.

I have several LEO friends that I shoot with and the opinions vary on what the expectation is of a CHL holder. You would be surprised at the range of response you get from LEO's on this subject. I will leave it at that.

should have asked her to site the rcw.

oh i just wanted you to know that my last post was in reply to your reply . all i was asking is if there is a ors that says that you dont have to disclose that info on a traffic stop... i do realize that you dont but i would like to carry the proof with me justg to throw it in there face
Sorry you took it that way! Ken wrote a book on CHL. It is very good and covers just about every aspect you could think of

My LEO friend put it quite simply, "Don't get pulled over and you don't have to tell them anything."

I am doing my best believe me! That was an expensive ticket!

Everyone,,,,,,,,based on some of the comments ........I am supportive of police!!!!! When seconds count they are minutes away!:D Seriously ...I understand it is a tuff job for a small paycheck and the stress can be through the roof. But again CHL holders are probably the least of their worries....I am paranoid about making sure I am doing nothing to jeopardize my CHL status.

I just don't understand or like being treated the way I was treated there was no call for that. I have several friends that are LEO's and their comments vary....I have even been told from people who know her that it was a no win situation!

I am doing my best believe me! That was an expensive ticket!

Everyone,,,,,,,,based on some of the comments ........I am supportive of police!!!!! When seconds count they are minutes away!:D Seriously ...I understand it is a tuff job for a small paycheck and the stress can be through the roof. But again CHL holders are probably the least of their worries....I am paranoid about making sure I am doing nothing to jeopardize my CHL status.

I just don't understand or like being treated the way I was treated there was no call for that. I have several friends that are LEO's and their comments vary....I have even been told from people who know her that it was a no win situation!

Don't stress so much about it. We have all been there and got the third degree from an officer at one point in our lives. I was once accused of tampering with my plate on a truck to try to make the numbers harder to see. There are all types of cops and people out there. Go to court and try to get the ticket reduced and move on with your life.

I do something similar and I even get let off tickets sometimes. I also like to show them pics on my phone of my German shepherds:) At that point they realize they have a lot in common with me and realize that I am on their side and would do anything to help them in any situation. But DO NOT CALL THEM SIR. That is a sign of submission. Just refer to them as "officer". You will get instant respect back to you.

I had a similar thing happen to me on I-5. I was going to work in the morning when they were doing all that god awful road work, and I got pulled over for "swerving" but really I was driving at that time my old rust crap box of a car.

So I role down my window about an inch and the cop tells me I was swerving and asked if I had been drinking. I responded with "I will not answer any of your questions." he they said "What?!" I then repeated myself, and in disbelief he asked why, I said "5th amendment" Noticeably pissed at me he asked for my license, and my CHL falls out of my wallet. He they steps back and put a hand on his gun asking if I have a weapon in the car, I said "I told you I will not answer any of your questions"

I give him my paperwork and after about10min he comes back and says yelling at me "Are you on any Medication?" I sit there silent staring straight ahead, the "Have you been drinking?" still silent sitting there, he looks at me thinking I will give a response for about 30 sec then pushes my paper work back to me and yells "Drive safe" slams his door and then peels out down the off ramp.

I am not particularly sure why you would display such a poor attitude... However, I do not know you or your experiences and therefore will not presume to.

Regardless of the occasional bad apple, law enforcement is on our side. Unless of course one professes to be a libertarian and therefore condones a society that borders on anarchy. There is no room for police in a society such as that.

I stand by my previous comments, treat me with respect and I will do so in turn. Displaying such a ridiculously belligerent and uncooperative attitude will only make me want to dig further into why one is being an bubblegum. A simple yes sir/no sir is all that is needed to speed you on your way....

I really do not understand, you only make things worse by being discourteous. Sure, there are cops who are ignorant, sure there are those who are on a power trip and have something to prove. Regardless, that is still no reason to treat them poorly. You don't like them? Take it up with the judge...

Don't get pulled over?

I will keep my glock in that exact place because it's a perfect spot while driving the vehicle and the seat holds it perfectly.

You folks that do that should read of the 1986 FBI shootout where one agent totally lost his pistol in a similar way and was out of the fight. Handguns belong in secure carry systems

Officer Bagnall,
It's obviously been a while since you have been on the receiving end of a power trip from somebody w/a badge. I wish I could say the same thing.

We know when you are fishing, and likely what you are fishing for. The "polite conversation" from officers is just that, a fishing trip to get more on me. I find that offensive. And I really wish it was just an "occasional bad apple". I don't think you would have the replies that you have on this subject if it was just an "occasional bad apple". And since when is staying quiet and observing your rights "rediculously belligerant and uncooperative"? I hope you rethink that. Just because we don't want to play your game by your (often made up) rules, does not make us lesser citizens.

Things to say when being pulled over...

1) "My name is..."
2) "My Date of Birth is..."
3) "I do not consent to any searches"

Present driver's license, registration and proof of insurance as requested. Recommend recording any conversation or interaction with LEO for future reference as well.

... Unless of course one professes to be a libertarian and therefore condones a society that borders on anarchy. There is no room for police in a society such as that....

There's no nice way of saying this but you should really stop reading the homeland security memos regarding this. You will find that libertarians believe legitimate police do not initiate force, their job is to respond to force initiated against others.

Last Edited:
Officer Bagnall,
It's obviously been a while since you have been on the receiving end of a power trip from somebody w/a badge. I wish I could say the same thing.

We know when you are fishing, and likely what you are fishing for. The "polite conversation" from officers is just that, a fishing trip to get more on me. I find that offensive. And I really wish it was just an "occasional bad apple". I don't think you would have the replies that you have on this subject if it was just an "occasional bad apple". And since when is staying quiet and observing your rights "rediculously belligerant and uncooperative"? I hope you rethink that. Just because we don't want to play your game by your (often made up) rules, does not make us lesser citizens.

Unfortunately, there is little I can say that will change your mind on this. Yes I have been on the receiving end of officers on a power trip, so has my wife. It would be easy to show my badge and get off scot free, however, that is unethical and I don't do it. Police officers should be held to the same standards as regular citizens, carrying a badge does nothing to change that.

Nothing will change how cops treat you in general unless you treat them with respect. Often they will do so in turn, I can't speak for everyone obviously but I can speak for myself and the agency I work with.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top