JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have only had one experience with this... kinda.... I was pulled over for having a tail light out. I have a CPL (WA) and was NOT carrying any weapon. It didn't even cross my mind that I should devulge that I have the license since I was not carrying. The Officer was very polite, too the point, informed me that I needed to get the light fixed and let me go on my way. No ticket! I don't know if they see the CPL when they run the DL in WA but the CPL never came up during the stop. That being said, if I had been carrying I think that I would include my CPL along with my DL, Reg., and Proof of Ins. If the Officer feels it is necessary to ask about the weapon I would answer his questions.

Driving is considered a privledge, not a right. When you sign the paperwork to receive your drivers license you are agreeing to be governed by the driving laws of that state. You agree to follow the rules and the government feels it has the right to enforce those laws. It's a social contract that we all function under for the good of the populace.

Though we don't always agree with the terms of that contact we are all bound by it. We are within our rights to vote for a representative that we feel best represents our views and adjusts that contact for us. The only other alternative is anarchy.

REALLY! Anarchy is the only other alternative. I can think of about 20 other alternatives off the top of my head. This discussion being one of them. The 1st amendment assures us the right to openly talk about when and why we disagree with how we're governed without fear of reprisal. Perhaps some of us will walk away from this thread with a better understanding of things and form an educated opinion that we share with our representatives and people that we talk to off this forum. It is not an all or nothing scenario here.

The best source for information is the booklet put out by the Oregon Firearms Federation, "Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws". It is written by Kevin Starrett. In it you will find the statutes and explanation in english about what they mean. It also goes into detail about conflicts with local and Federal laws and points out contradictions in Oregon laws. It's a good "bathroom" book.

Once they know you have a CHL and are carrying or have it in close proximity they can legally ask where it is located and that you make NO movements in that direction and keep both hands visible on the steering wheel. If you don't you can be charged with failure to comply. This is from my lawyer who specializes in these areas. So ...............take it for what it's worth.

Now that's the most important point made in all of this, I would like to see this information solidified. It makes sense too, the officer shouldn't feel threatened but should follow the oath to the constitution, and taking my gun is in direct conflict with "Keep and bear" firearms.

If i have a concealed weapons permit, I don't believe that I need to disclose:
A) Whether or not I have a gun.
B) What kind of gun.
C) Where it might be located.

After all, it is a CONCEALED weapon permit. Not a CONCEALED FROM EVERYONE EXCEPT THE POLICE permit.

Now I might choose to tell the officer these things, but I don't believe I am required to.

If i have a concealed weapons permit, I don't believe that I need to disclose:
A) Whether or not I have a gun.
B) What kind of gun.
C) Where it might be located.

After all, it is a CONCEALED weapon permit. Not a CONCEALED FROM EVERYONE EXCEPT THE POLICE permit.

Now I might choose to tell the officer these things, but I don't believe I am required to.

the ORS requires only that you present your CHP upon demand. you are NOT required to open your mouth for any reason- none. you don't have to say "hi," nor answer any questions, nor volunteer information about weapons. you definitely don't have to tell him where you're headed tonight, nor where you're coming from.

Under Oregon law you are not required to disclose that you have a CHL, or that you are carrying. However, it is a good idea to present your CHL and ODL to the officer just to avoid any conflict. A very good source for understanding the confusing and sometimes contradictory Oregon laws regarding concealed or open carry is the booklet "Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws", put out by Kevin Starrett of Oregon Firearms Federation. It's a good "bathroom" book.

I always disclose that there is a box of fresh donuts in my trunk.
Funny thing is, that it worked a lot better on the east coast.

For cryin' out loud... in this thread we've gotten around to everything from baiting responses on the "morality" of the drug war, traffic laws, and "bathroom books" now....

For all that's good and decent in the world, LET IT DIE!!! :s0112:

:s0013: :s0013: :s0013: :s0013:

Funny! Try this one:

BeatDeadHorse.gif

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany