JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So why not shoot it Andy? Go to a toy shop and buy a bag of glass marbles. Uses a 1/4 of the powder, low recoil and they disintegrate when they hit something solid. Plinking fun and a good way to introduce a non-shooter.

So a .54 cal will take a marble with a patch?? That sounds like some fun there. May need to get my hands on a .54 cal gun just for that!

When my dad died I inherited all of his firearms. The one that I have never shot-(not sure if my dad ever shot it either) is a J Stevens Tool and Arms (circa 1910) Model 200 20 gauge shotgun. The action didn't work when I got it, so I took it over to the guys at Rich's Gun Shop and they went thru it and replaced a part. I have shells for it but have never shot it....

Last Edited:
I have a Grand Power P40 in 10mm that spits the magazine out nearly every time I fire the handgun.... it also has this occasional problem where when I pull the trigger, instead of dropping the hammer, it decocks the gun... true story. Since it is an imported gun, I highly doubt i'd get much help from the importer.

It's a damn shame too, with the rotating barrel, the recoil is really mild even with my stout 10mm handloads, especially considering it is a polymer gun.

I have a Grand Power P40 in 10mm that spits the magazine out nearly every time I fire the handgun.... it also has this occasional problem where when I pull the trigger, instead of dropping the hammer, it decocks the gun... true story. Since it is an imported gun, I highly doubt i'd get much help from the importer.

It's a damn shame too, with the rotating barrel, the recoil is really mild even with my stout 10mm handloads, especially considering it is a polymer gun.
I haven't had any issues with the P40 I just purchased. But I researched all the issues that might arise, I saw the magazine drop mentioned several times and most fixed it with a different magazine release spring, though the hammer drop issue is more troubling and I haven't seen that mentioned online. I would contact Grand Power, they would probably be able to advise you and I know that they took care of some of the people that had magazine drop issues.

Good luck, I've really enjoyed mine so far but I've only shot about 200 rnds.

The P40 replaced a G20. No regrets.

Last Edited:
I haven't had any issues with the P40 I just purchased. But I researched all the issues that might arise, I saw the magazine drop mentioned several times and most fixed it with a different magazine release spring, though the hammer drop issue is more troubling and I haven't seen that mentioned online. I would contact Grand Power, they would probably be able to advise you and I know that they took care of some of the people that had magazine drop issues.

Good luck, I've really enjoyed mine so far but I've only shot about 200 rnds.

The P40 replaced a G20. No regrets.

I read about the magazine release spring weight increase as well. To me the idea of increasing the strength of the magazine release spring is a bandaid. The magazine release button is already so damn stiff I don't think I'd want it to become tougher, but then again I want the magazine to stay in the pistol.

The hammer dropping to the safety notch when pulling the trigger I think is unique to my gun. I may contact Eagle.

I do enjoy the pistol tho. Nice recoil impulse.

I have a number of neglected guns, if not exactly orphans. 3 various old single shot 22s left over from sometime in my youth. They used to train new shooters but they've nearly been completely shot out after tens of thousands of rounds (perhaps more). They are hardly worth the transfer fees to sell, so they sit in the safe awaiting a chance to fire again. Then come the two bolt action Mossberg shotguns. Bought as a gift for my dad because he had one in his youth. Since he passed, they sit in an old gun cabinet. Sentiment and a value similar to the single shot 22s keep them there. Along with those are the rarely fired Mosin, a gift from Dad, and my Savage 270 that was a Christmas present from my parents when I thought I might want to try my hand at hunting. They all have some sort of story attached but don't usually get the nod during range trips. I go through rounds of trying to figure out what to do with them but nothing changes. I suppose they are destined to be family guns until a situation comes along where it suits them better.

My "orphan" is my .54 pistol that I made...
I really wanted a .54 caliber pistol to match my Hawken rifle...but just couldn't afford a new or used one...still can't truth be told...:D
So I built this pistol out of spare parts I had laying around...built it , "proofed" it , shot it a few times...now it just sits.
Oh it gets looked at , during my displays...Almost everyone calls it my "Pirate gun"....:rolleyes::D
But is hasn't been shot in years....
Andy
View attachment 481871
I thought that was pretty cool, Andy- then I figgered out it WASNT the revolver you were talking about! I'd still like a .54 cal revolver to go with my TC Hawken :p.

I guess my "orphans" are a Galesi .25 cal "vest pocket" pistol, which came as part of a trade deal years ago. It's a POS that is just enuff gun to get you into trouble. I never carry it, and it needs magazines, which don't seem to be available. It's a jammin jenny for sure.
Another which Ive owned all my adult life (the first high power rifle I bought) is a Spanish La Coruna 1945-built 7.92 Mauser. Yeah it shoots reliably and years ago I put a lot of work into cleaning up the finish and rebluing it. It never goes anywhere and hangs on my wall looking sexy... It has taken game but I wouldnt vouch for it's accuracy beyond say point-blank range... and that straight bolt just doesnt endear it to me!:cool:
I have a few much better examples of the Mauser 98, which scratch that itch when need be. There is a Yugo 24/47 in the herd that I would bet my life on over distance, even with the funky Mauser sights. THAT is sayin a LOT and this rifle would be the last or near last I will part with.

Marlin Model 60. My first 'real' gun, had it since I was 14. I do like it, I just haven't shot it in a very long time. I do take it out and clean and lube it from time to time, but for now, it just rests in the back of the safe. It's a great shooter, I just haven't bothered to take it out in a long time.

I had thought about maybe getting it to Velzey and getting it threaded for a suppressor, but with the tube magazine, I think it would require removing the can each time I want to load it, which would be a pain. Anyone ever seen someone thread a model 60 or other tube mag gun? Is it worth the effort and expense? Or do you just get frustrated each time you have to reload?

Problem with this one is the mag tube is the longer version - runs almost to the end of the barrel:

View attachment 481857
That was my frist gun also when I was 13

Savage 64.
20181202_184900.jpg
She got replaced as a birthday gift to myself.
20181207_143140.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads