JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ZigZagZeke is correct.
I spend time in NE Oregon and on a regular basis see packs of Wolves. They walk right down the gravel road at night. We see them in the Unity area and even in the Fossil Unit. They are killers and are not the same type of wolf that Oregon used to have.
The cougar population has exploded and making hunting absolutely horrible compared to what it used to be. Last year I saw an abundance of deer and elk bones while hunting deer.

Many species of animals are no longer on the planet but life goes on.

We are competing with predators. Predators are here to control population when humans do no not harvest enough game. When big game population is down then predator population will be reduced by the lack of food for them. That is how it should be.

Yes you are correct....plus domestic dogs aren't mutilating and feeding on 800# steers while there still alive. Alot of wolf attacks have been feed on and the rancher has to put that animal down. The lucky ones die fast....you show me a dog or coyote that does that
Can't - doesn't happen. Feral dogs and coyotes would get stomped by a cow. Wolves are a different issue entirely.

Cattle are not the only livestock

Australia…

Using Australia as an example has nothing whatsoever to do with North American wolves.

Not to mention, $500 a head for a wild dog… there would be so many people happily popping those every weekend in the US.

I believe we are talking about oregon....not Australia

Looks like that wild dog plague article from 2013 is about things happening in Australia. Don't let the dingos eat the baby.

The research paper is the result of researchers' observations in Mongolia.

Australia…

Using Australia as an example has nothing whatsoever to do with North American wolves.

Not to mention, $500 a head for a wild dog… there would be so many people happily popping those every weekend in the US.
But there is a similarity I guess: too many predators in one place wreaking havoc on wildlife and/or livestock. Just like wolves in Oregon.

But there is a similarity I guess: too many predators in one place wreaking havoc on wildlife and/or livestock. Just like wolves in Oregon.
I don't know the number of wolves in Oregon, I just know people a while ago decided they were too much of a problem to keep around and I tend to appreciate the wisdom of the past as information, if nothing else. Often the lessons of history were already learned by generations of the past and re-learning them, personally, each generation, is a waste of time, energy, and money.

Also, feral dogs tend to be unafraid of humans as they are often dumped pets.

If SHTF so bad that there is chaos, I would probably shoot unaccompanied dogs on sight (probably cats too) - there are millions of them, and they would very quickly become a big problem.

Dogs would be a huge threat.

Wild dogs would/could be easily shot and eliminated and no longer be any threat. In any SHTF situation where food was scarce, there wouldn't be any wild dog problems because they'd be being eaten. War torn Europe in the 1940's didn't have a lot of loose dogs running around, that was about as SHTF as it gets.

The video said a calf was attacked by two pit bulls. Yeah - a calf could have a problem with dogs, a full grown cow or a bull, different story.

Putting bullets into attacking animals usually has the effect of making them stop attacking. The difference between wild dogs and wolves is clearly a few things.

1) wolves are bigger, stronger, etc.
2) wild dogs are not federally protected species and can be shot without issue in most cases.
3) wild dogs presumably started as pets and their primary food source was supplied by their owner - wolves have to regularly kill and feed themselves and have a predictable and obvious effect on any animals in the area that are potential prey.

Wild dogs would/could be easily shot and eliminated and no longer be any threat. In any SHTF situation where food was scarce, there wouldn't be any wild dog problems because they'd be being eaten.
Dogs would be the zombies of the Zombie Apocalypse; their sheer numbers, speed and tendency to work in packs would make them very dangerous. They are also somewhat intelligent.

War torn Europe in the 1940's didn't have a lot of loose dogs running around, that was about as SHTF as it gets.
WWII had a war going on, with carpet bombing, combat conflicts and other aspects of war.

A SHTF situation does not necessarily equate to the same scenario.

Dogs would be the zombies of the Zombie Apocalypse; their sheer numbers, speed and tendency to work in packs would make them very dangerous. They are also somewhat intelligent.

WWII had a war going on, with carpet bombing, combat conflicts and other aspects of war.

A SHTF situation does not necessarily equate to the same scenario.
I don't disagree that dogs could be a problem. I'm simply saying that popping a dog makes it not a problem really quick.

My example of WWII wartime Europe is simply related to the disruption of modern society. It was significantly disrupted, that was very much a SHTF scenario for the people who couldn't go to the store anymore and buy food because all the modern methods of making society function had collapsed in war-torn locations. Pet/Animals were definitely on the menu, including dogs.

I don't disagree that dogs could be a problem. I'm simply saying that popping a dog makes it not a problem really quick.

My example of WWII wartime Europe is simply related to the disruption of modern society. It was significantly disrupted, that was very much a SHTF scenario for the people who couldn't go to the store anymore and buy food because all the modern methods of making society function had collapsed in war-torn locations. Pet/Animals were definitely on the menu, including dogs.
Agreed. I am just saying dogs (and to a degree pet cats, but dogs much more so) would be a very significant problem if SHTF happened in a way that dogs were not eliminated by the scenario. They would essentially become the "zombies", but fast moving, relatively smart dangerous zombies in packs, that somewhat revert to their wild heritage, while at the same time having less fear of humans than wolves & coyotes.

We've seen this in places like Russia and even here. Feral dogs are, IMO, a much bigger problem than wolves. Individually they may be somewhat less dangerous, but their numbers are much greater. Should SHTF hit, there would be an explosion in their numbers as their owners will not be there for them. As it is, those of us that live in rural areas see them dumped on us by city folk.

We've seen this in places like Russia and even here. Feral dogs are, IMO, a much bigger problem than wolves. Individually they may be somewhat less dangerous, but their numbers are much greater. Should SHTF hit, there would be an explosion in their numbers as their owners will not be there for them. As it is, those of us that live in rural areas see them dumped on us by city folk.
This is exactly how people in eastern oregon feel about wolves.

Since people on the west side of the state don't have wolves in their backyard, a lot of them are all for wolf reintroduction (and non-management).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top