JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bingo!!! No science is ever truly "settled".

-E-
Ain't that the truth. When I was young, I had horrible acne. Science said that I should be deprived of chocolate and coca cola among other things. Turned out - not so much. Don't even get me started on whether margarine or butter was better for you. Depends on what year it was. I wonder if there was a correlation between which was favored and how much the corresponding margarine/butter lobby spent that year.

whether pluto is a planet is an objectively arbitrary classification. its a giant chunk of crap orbiting the sun whether humans want to call it a planet, planetoid, or zombowobulous. we can change our minds all we want.

but whether wolves are native to a place or not is an objective fact, regardless of classification.

this line o reasoning keeps falling flat on its face bruh.

Wrong. Time and place and perspective. You were not paying attention.

I am putting you on ignore because the rest of the class does not need to be bogged down with your education.

Buh Bye!

Last Edited:
Anywhooo... Back to the dang wolves, the rumor that was flying around before I moved from Union County was that they were killed with sponges soaked in something to make them tasty to the wolves. Sponge goes in, blocks up the system, dead wolf. Pretty cold blooded and cruel way of doing things if you ask me.

Anywhooo... Back to the dang wolves, the rumor that was flying around before I moved from Union County was that they were killed with sponges soaked in something to make them tasty to the wolves. Sponge goes in, blocks up the system, dead wolf. Pretty cold blooded and cruel way of doing things if you ask me.
No more cold blooded than the wolf method of killing animals. Wolves kill their prey by consumption, they feast on an animal until it dies.

No more cold blooded than the wolf method of killing animals. Wolves kill their prey by consumption, they feast on an animal until it dies.
That is true, but it is also the way the wolf (and almost every other predator on the planet) evolved. Ma nature is a cruel ol' girl. Someone that would kill an animal in that way has a screw loose. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the wolves around either, but to kill in such a way (if the rumors are true) just reeks of unnecessary cruelty.

MY point is/was, in the 1970s, Pluto was considered a planet. This was clearly taught in the textbooks of the day.

It was not considered a religious position to call Pluto a planet.

If you would forget about the Planet/Planetoid argument and pay attention to the fact that the object is the same now as it was during the Carter administration, you might get my point.

Or not, but it is there if you are genuinely curious.
Not sure if you were addressing this to me, but if so, I wasn't responding to your post but to ZZZ's. I didn't say it was a religious position to call Pluto a planet. It was, however, a religious position that the sun revolved around the earth. I believe Galileo was persecuted by the Catholic Church for proposing the opposite.

Your point clearly illustrates that science is a constantly changing, growing body of knowledge. I don't think we disagree on this. Accepted scientific theories are merely the sum of human knowledge at any point in time. They are not Gospel. That's where science worshippers go wrong.

When I studied biology in high school, there were 2 kingdoms, plant and animal. When my kids came home with their biology homework and tried to tell me there were 14 kingdoms and I couldn't pronounce most of them, I said "bullsh1t!!." Some of it was just changing the way things are classified, but some represented the discovery of new knowledge. Things change.

Now you are being unfair. None of the above represent conclusions which were reached using the scientific method.
The world is flat - superstition
Everything revolves around the earth - religion
Disease is caused by malignant humours - just the prevailing opinion at the time.
No, actually these were the conclusions of the scientific community at the time. They may have been influenced by religion or politics, but that's no different than today. The respective scientific communities at the time helped persecute those that they saw as being in error.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top