JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was looking at the upcoming bills and discovered that the proposed bill not only requires range time, but also allows non-citizens who have applied for citizenship to have a CHL in Oregon.

For the citizenship issue, not sure what the federal law says about non-citizens possessing guns so not sure what to make of that one other to say that I feel a little uncomfortable knowing that non-US citizens will be allowed to conceal carry in Oregon. Seems odd since Oregon doesn't recognize any other states CHL (at this point).

The issue of range time appears to be pretty restrictive. It appears they will accept other forms of classroom training but not range time.

No idea if this will be retroactive for existing CHL holders. Could it be that current CHL will be invalid until you have a range certificate or just that you can't renew until you get the certificate?

The whole thing seems like BS to me, unless they also have an essay test to invoke your right to free speech or right to vote.

I think you understood the non-citizen points wrong. The proposed law is actually more restrictive than the current one. The sections of the bill you are referring to would required non-citizens (permanent residents) to have submitted their citizenship application (form N-400), pay the associated fees (~$800) before they become eligible for CHL. Permanent residents are not able to submit form N-400 unless they have had a continuous 5 year residency in the US without any interruptions longer than 6 months.

Now this is more restrictive because the current law says permanent residents only need to declare their intention to become US citizens by submitting form N-300 ($250 fee) before they are eligible to apply for CHL. You need to be a legal permanent resident to submit N-300 regardless of how long you have been a resident of the US.

Today, there are thousands of permanent residents who carry CHL, so the proposed law will restrict their rights greatly.

The "may" appears to apply to (o) concerning registration as a sex offender and does not appear to be a change.

If I'm wrong on this, or if someone else is better at reading legalize, please speak up.

The "may" appears to apply to (o) concerning registration as a sex offender and does not appear to be a change.

If I'm wrong on this, or if someone else is better at reading legalize, please speak up.

well legal residents (non-citizens) have been able to buy guns all along. i dont see any realistic problems with this considering these are the people who want to live here and are doing it the right way. my girlfriend and her family have just been awarded citizenship and are planning to buy a house. they will be buying guns to furnish the house too and are far from violent people. her parents also know what a government can do to unarmed people and dont plan to be slaves ever again. funny thing is, her dad showed me a couple secrets about my SKS that you dont find on google. something he said he learned from the Vietcong soldiers who armed them to fight the Khmer Rogue.

What I don't like about this is that it appears that all existing CHLs will be invalid if this passes. The cost to qualify on the range will be a huge financial burden to Oregonians. As an example, at the Albany gun show last weekend, FMJ, 115 grain, 9mm was $25/box. If we assume that about half of the 100,000 Oregon CHL holders shoot 9mm, the cost of ammo for those folks alone would be 1.25 million dollars. Add to that the cost and time to reapply for your CHL.

From <broken link removed>

&#8226; Senate Bill 796: Requires applicants for a concealed handgun license to pass a firing range test. The bill would not require current concealed handgun license holders be retrained

I need to go back and re-read the bill to confirm.

From <broken link removed>

I need to go back and re-read the bill to confirm.

It does say "applying" for a CHL so perhaps it doesn't mean that existing CHLs are invalid. It also does not address applying for renewal. Perhaps it will grandfather existing CHL holders? Perhaps it will still make existing CHLs invalid since the newer requirements were never met? Perhaps the author didn't fully understand the ramificatins of the bill?

When I got my AZ CHL we had to do live fire and all it was, was 5 rounds at 25 feet and all you had to do was hit the paper 5 times. AZ also required simulation training, but it was not a pass fail, just experience it. I have no issues with Oregon requiring this, because I watched a guy fail the live fire part when taking my class then later learned that he had never fired a gun before and borrowed a buddies to take the class.

When I got my AZ CHL we had to do live fire and all it was, was 5 rounds at 25 feet and all you had to do was hit the paper 5 times. AZ also required simulation training, but it was not a pass fail, just experience it. I have no issues with Oregon requiring this, because I watched a guy fail the live fire part when taking my class then later learned that he had never fired a gun before and borrowed a buddies to take the class.

I think it's smart to train to be proficient with your firearms. I also think I might be inclined to support live fire experience as part of the licensing process, but I fully oppose SB 796 because it is a badly written bill and restricts greatly the rights of the legal immigrants who are working towards citizenship. Furthermore, the passing requirements are pretty arbitrary.

Just wondering, anyone know the basis of the score requirement? Standard Police Department qualification? Don't want to clog up the forum by posting the text of it, so here's another link to the bill: <broken link removed>

Just wondering, anyone know the basis of the score requirement? Standard Police Department qualification? Don't want to clog up the forum by posting the text of it, so here's another link to the bill: <broken link removed>

Prozanski got the requirement from Texas. It's what they require to get a permit there. <broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top