JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This one is correcting language left over from the single point of contact law that went live January 1. No changes to existing law that I saw, but amending everything to be consistent with WSP doing all background checks now.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 6.43.46 PM.png

Good luck to you guys if the state is going to do your BGC's Oregon has done that from the start and its been a nightmare. I have a CHL I buy a firearm about 1 every year or so. I have passed more then a dozen BGC's with no changes in anything in my BG. yet upon trying to buy a 1885 Winchester single shot in 45-70 I get a delay that turns into a 62 day nightmare of state stupidity. Because for some reason NOW they can't tell if a traffic arrest in 1981 was a felony or not. I have no felony in the dozens of other BGC's I have been through since 1981 I never had a felony. but now out of the blue I might have a felony. As this was during Covid and Portlands records dept closed up shop and went home no one could check so I sat. Finally I contacted Rick Lewis my State rep who got on the phone and lit them up. I was called in less then 24 hours that the mix up was all their fault supposedly some one never recorded in my file that I do not have a felony as a result of this traffic stop! and told to go back down fill out another BGC and the rifle would be released.

Yea good luck with the state of anywhere doing BGC's

So far I'm told by FFLs in my beck of the woods that the WA STATE Patrol has been pretty fast at getting the background checks done.
It's been mostly a waiting of the 10 mandatory waiting days thing, that's slowed things down. Other than that most proceeds " been coming back within 2 days im told so far.

But, as I said as of January 1st 2024 we have that new mandatory 10 waiting period that is only counted on working days, and the day you fill out the 4473 form doesn't count as a day.

The waiting period starts on the 1st working day AFTER you fill out your 4473 form and ends the next day AFTER 10 full working business days Mon- Fri have passed. You also have to now physically SHOW YOUR FFL dealer on paper or other method to show you have passed the new training requirements as Dan Mitchell so very nicely posted online from "Sporting Systems " which is FREE. So a BIG THANK YOU TO DAN for ALL he does!!
https://sporting-systems.com/free-hb1143-training/

I'm trying to get up to speed on the latest infringements - I'm not seeing much that's objectionable in this one, other than this part - any comments on what this change would practically do?

Upon
22 expiration of the six-month period during which the person's right to
23 possess a firearm is suspended as provided in RCW 71.05.182, the
24 Washington state patrol ((shall forward to the national instant
25 criminal background check system index, denied persons file, notice
26 that the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored
))
27 firearms background check program must remove the person from the
28 national instant criminal background check system.

What happens when someone is removed from NICS?

Good luck to you guys if the state is going to do your BGC's Oregon has done that from the start and its been a nightmare. I have a CHL I buy a firearm about 1 every year or so. I have passed more then a dozen BGC's with no changes in anything in my BG. yet upon trying to buy a 1885 Winchester single shot in 45-70 I get a delay that turns into a 62 day nightmare of state stupidity. Because for some reason NOW they can't tell if a traffic arrest in 1981 was a felony or not. I have no felony in the dozens of other BGC's I have been through since 1981 I never had a felony. but now out of the blue I might have a felony. As this was during Covid and Portlands records dept closed up shop and went home no one could check so I sat. Finally I contacted Rick Lewis my State rep who got on the phone and lit them up. I was called in less then 24 hours that the mix up was all their fault supposedly some one never recorded in my file that I do not have a felony as a result of this traffic stop! and told to go back down fill out another BGC and the rifle would be released.

Yea good luck with the state of anywhere doing BGC's
Try doing your next transfer at an FFL who will do a no response release. Then you'll only have to wait up to a week if you get delayed.

Try doing your next transfer at an FFL who will do a no response release. Then you'll only have to wait up to a week if you get delayed.
MY situation was that this was a special Order firearm almost never in stock at the distributors (Taylor firearms was the distributor the rifle is made for them by Uberti) so the guy I went to was listed as a local Taylor dealer. As I had no frecking clue I would run full stop in to STUPID OREGON I thought ordering it through an authorized dealer made sense. ROFLMAO. And in this case they had a response They had a FIRM DELAY.

A lot of delays happen because they are full of background checks being done. Not because they are doing " further research " that's a code for saying " we have a lottttt of background checks to do, so you'll have to be patient and wait your turn. First come first served"
.......just like at a restaurant 😉

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews