JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Can a 18-20 year old purchase a gun from a private party.

• Yes

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 82.9%

• Total voters
You have to pass the background check now so you have to be 21 to do that. Its required on the background check form. You can own one over age 18 but cant buy one (oh the wisdom of our rulers is never ending)

If a family member sold you one you dont need to do a background check under SB 941. You have to be careful though. If a family member went and bought a gun and then gave it to you it could be seen as a straw purchase.

ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes
Minimum Age | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Correct except, per the BATF, it is a straw purchase if it is not a gift (i.e., the recipient of the firearm compensates the buyer, in some way, for the purchase) or the recipient cannot legally own a firearm.

E.G., if I buy a handgun as a gift, for a 17 year old niece and give it to her for her to keep in her possession, then that is probably a straw purchase even though it is a gift, and it is also illegal for her to posses it. OTOH, if she is 18 and otherwise legal to own firearms (not a drug user, felon, etc.), then I can give it to her as a gift. If she gives me money to buy the gun for her, regardless of her age or eligibility, then that would be a straw purchase as it could then be construed that I am buying it so that her name is not on the records as having bought the firearm. If she doesn't give me money or other compensation, and she is 18, then the transfer to her is legal.

Outside the family - say the person was 18 and just an acquaintance, then I could not gift or sell any firearm to them without the BGC.

Well, I'm convinced. Forget the 10,000 rounds I put through my K5 growing up. Forget the dozens of coyotes it slayed from 50-600 yards, and the hundreds of ground squirrels and crowd. Forget all the javelina in Arizona, and the axis deer in Texas. Someone name bill in cave creek liked an AR better. Might as well toss it in the garbage for next week's pickup.

I like where all of this went...
I decided on an M&P15 Sport II I Picked it up brand new for $650 after everything.
Not sure if it was a good deal, but I am happy with it. I may do some mods once I get out of debt, lol. Any ideas of what I should do for this baby?

1470965189034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like where all of this went...
I decided on an M&P15 Sport II I Picked it up brand new for $650 after everything.
Not sure if it was a good deal, but I am happy with it. I may do some mods once I get out of debt, lol. Any ideas of what I should do for this baby?

View attachment 306936

Don't call them mods. This isn't call of duty. Shoot it first. Then see how you feel. Swapping the furniture for magpul will cost you about $100 for MOE, but maybe Magpul's not your thing. For optics: buy once, cry once. Don't get a $30 sight mark red dot. Please. Save up for an Aimpoint, or an EOTech. Maybe something powered, but that front sight post will make the picture a little darker.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Obama there should be a glock laying around for you to pick up pretty easily. I dont understand why you are having such issues getting a handgun at 19?
Yeah, easier than buying a book or a computer.....
Obama is, was, and always be a putz....
And the worst President we have ever had, unless Killery gets elected... :mad:

Well, I'm convinced. Forget the 10,000 rounds I put through my K5 growing up. Forget the dozens of coyotes it slayed from 50-600 yards, and the hundreds of ground squirrels and crowd. Forget all the javelina in Arizona, and the axis deer in Texas. Someone name bill in cave creek liked an AR better. Might as well toss it in the garbage for next week's pickup.

Was that a Krupp K5?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads