JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Can a 18-20 year old purchase a gun from a private party.

• Yes

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 82.9%

• Total voters
You have to pass the background check now so you have to be 21 to do that. Its required on the background check form. You can own one over age 18 but cant buy one (oh the wisdom of our rulers is never ending)

If a family member sold you one you dont need to do a background check under SB 941. You have to be careful though. If a family member went and bought a gun and then gave it to you it could be seen as a straw purchase.

ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes
Minimum Age | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

It would also be a straw purchase for a family member to buy for you. SB941 kind of killed your chance of a real private party sale. I would suggest an 80% pistol lower. Build your own gun.

As bolus stated, due to SB 941 all private party firearms transfers are required to have a background check done. Performed by the OSP...

The exception is from a family member. Follow the advice of bolus, he is wise, he is knowing...

I guess the illegal part would be for a dealer to transfer the gun to someone 18 to 21? Is there any way around this? Darn. Thank you.

Yes, its the SB 941 law that killed your chances. Remember to vote this fall because your rights got restricted and SB941 has not resulted in a single arrest in the last year.

You can get a rifle or build a pistol.

The most economical 80% pistol is the polymer80 one while takes glock 17 parts.
PF940 v 1.0 80% Polymer Pistol Frame

Its not going to be as good as a regular glock 17 but it will manage

The best 80% kit is a sig p228 kit from Matrix Precision parts. but will be about $1000 in parts and tools
<broken link removed>

also, consider the purpose of the handgun. If it is for home defense get a rifle or shotgun. That's going to be better anyway. If it is for target shooting, get a rifle or shotgun. You can have just as much fun. If you plan to carry one for personal protection, you cant get a carry license until 21 anyway so its going to be stuck at home unless you want to open carry which in these times with crazy anti-gun people wanting to try and get the police to shoot open carriers you might want to reconsider that idea.

May I ask the purpose for you wanting a handgun over something like a rifle?

First of all, thank you for all the information.

I think I may wait till I am 21, Only a year and 3 months.
I used to volunteer at the local Police Department, and we would go to the range every once in a while and I just love Glocks now. I don't have an immediate need, so I may just wait till I'm 21. Of course, I am moving in the next few days outside of city limits in southern Oregon, so I may want to get something like a cheap rifle or shotgun. What would you suggest for this?

First of all, thank you for all the information.

I think I may wait till I am 21, Only a year and 3 months.
I used to volunteer at the local Police Department, and we would go to the range every once in a while and I just love Glocks now. I don't have an immediate need, so I may just wait till I'm 21. Of course, I am moving in the next few days outside of city limits in southern Oregon, so I may want to get something like a cheap rifle or shotgun. What would you suggest for this?

Glocks are a great starter gun. Rugged reliable gun. But as obi-wan has said, there are more elegant weapons for a civilized age out there and once you get to shoot them, you might not look back at the glock. :)

A mini-14 is a great starter rifle, or if you want to start with a 22 then a Ruger 10/22.

You could also get a Barrett 82A1 but you may not want to start out with a $10,000 50 bmg rifle :eek:

Isnt is interesting that your government would be fine with you enlisting, getting a machine gun and going overseas to shoot bad guys but they dont want you to have a pistol.

You could also get a Barrett 82A1 but you may not want to start out with a $10,000 50 bmg rifle :eek

Alright, that's ridiculous. I have to put my foot down. Let the record show on this day, I disagreed with the gentleman bolus for his inflammatory statement, and complete disregard of common sense, and decency!

Who in their right mind WOULDN'T want a Barrett 82A1 as their first gun?! (Insert bubblegum-eating grin smiley face.)

Alright, that's ridiculous. I have to put my foot down. Let the record show on this day, I disagreed with the gentleman bolus for his inflammatory statement, and complete disregard of common sense, and decency!

Who in their right mind WOULDN'T want a Barrett 82A1 as their first gun?! (Insert bubblegum-eating grin smiley face.)

"Im going to learn to fly a plane!"
"What plane did you get?"
"Slightly used SR-71 Blackbird of course!"

A vote here for a shotgun.

Get a Rem 870 and customize it to your hearts content until you hit the big 21.

Carry a knife and know or learn how to use it in self defense. Your young and healthy so you have a leg up on most of the folks here just by being spry;). (Plus you should know how to fight with a knife even when you have a gun on you - they aren't the end all's that they are made out to be.

Best of luck and good for you trying to be a responsible gun owner.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top