OREGON- 19 years old, want to purchase a handgun.

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by RonnieW, Aug 11, 2016.

Can a 18-20 year old purchase a gun from a private party.

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    82.9%
  1. RonnieW

RonnieW
    Grants Pass

I have seen so many different things I'm not sure what to think.
    Can I go to a gun shop and purchase a handgun from a private party legally if I am under 19 years old in Oregon.

2. bolus

bolus
    Far from Prozanski
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

You have to pass the background check now so you have to be 21 to do that. Its required on the background check form. You can own one over age 18 but cant buy one (oh the wisdom of our rulers is never ending)

If a family member sold you one you dont need to do a background check under SB 941. You have to be careful though. If a family member went and bought a gun and then gave it to you it could be seen as a straw purchase.

ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes
    Minimum Age | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

3. RonnieW

RonnieW
    Grants Pass

I guess the illegal part would be for a dealer to transfer the gun to someone 18 to 21? Is there any way around this? Darn. Thank you.

4. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster
    SE Portland
    Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

It would also be a straw purchase for a family member to buy for you. SB941 kind of killed your chance of a real private party sale. I would suggest an 80% pistol lower. Build your own gun.

Jnarowe likes this.
  5. RonnieW

RonnieW
    Grants Pass

Where could I get that? and would that be legal as well? Thank you!

6. nammac

nammac
    I-5 Corridor - West of Portland
    Constitutionalist Silver Supporter

As bolus stated, due to SB 941 all private party firearms transfers are required to have a background check done. Performed by the OSP...

The exception is from a family member. Follow the advice of bolus, he is wise, he is knowing...

7. bolus

bolus
    Far from Prozanski

Yes, its the SB 941 law that killed your chances. Remember to vote this fall because your rights got restricted and SB941 has not resulted in a single arrest in the last year.

You can get a rifle or build a pistol.

The most economical 80% pistol is the polymer80 one while takes glock 17 parts.
    PF940 v 1.0 80% Polymer Pistol Frame

Its not going to be as good as a regular glock 17 but it will manage

The best 80% kit is a sig p228 kit from Matrix Precision parts. but will be about $1000 in parts and tools
    All Tools Necessary to Complete P229 80% Plus One Frame - $650.00 : Matrix Precision, High Quality Parts

also, consider the purpose of the handgun. If it is for home defense get a rifle or shotgun. That's going to be better anyway. If it is for target shooting, get a rifle or shotgun. You can have just as much fun. If you plan to carry one for personal protection, you cant get a carry license until 21 anyway so its going to be stuck at home unless you want to open carry which in these times with crazy anti-gun people wanting to try and get the police to shoot open carriers you might want to reconsider that idea.

May I ask the purpose for you wanting a handgun over something like a rifle?

Slobray and etrain16 like this.
  8. RonnieW

RonnieW
    Grants Pass

First of all, thank you for all the information.

I think I may wait till I am 21, Only a year and 3 months.
    I used to volunteer at the local Police Department, and we would go to the range every once in a while and I just love Glocks now. I don't have an immediate need, so I may just wait till I'm 21. Of course, I am moving in the next few days outside of city limits in southern Oregon, so I may want to get something like a cheap rifle or shotgun. What would you suggest for this?

9. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster
    SE Portland

Jnarowe, Ura-Ki and etrain16 like this.
  10. bolus

bolus
    Far from Prozanski

Glocks are a great starter gun. Rugged reliable gun. But as obi-wan has said, there are more elegant weapons for a civilized age out there and once you get to shoot them, you might not look back at the glock. :)

A mini-14 is a great starter rifle, or if you want to start with a 22 then a Ruger 10/22.

You could also get a Barrett 82A1 but you may not want to start out with a $10,000 50 bmg rifle :eek:

Isnt is interesting that your government would be fine with you enlisting, getting a machine gun and going overseas to shoot bad guys but they dont want you to have a pistol.

Ura-Ki, Slobray, Joe13 and 2 others like this.
  11. Medic!

Medic!
    Middle Earth
    Pain in the neck.

Politicians thought the introduction to handguns and Alcohol at the same time was better.;)

12. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster
    SE Portland

Alright, that's ridiculous. I have to put my foot down. Let the record show on this day, I disagreed with the gentleman bolus for his inflammatory statement, and complete disregard of common sense, and decency!

Who in their right mind WOULDN'T want a Barrett 82A1 as their first gun?! (Insert bubblegum-eating grin smiley face.)

13. bolus

bolus
    Far from Prozanski

"Im going to learn to fly a plane!"
    "What plane did you get?"
    "Slightly used SR-71 Blackbird of course!"

14. DONOTBUGME

DONOTBUGME
    Auburn, WA

According to Obama there should be a glock laying around for you to pick up pretty easily. I dont understand why you are having such issues getting a handgun at 19?

aarond, Jnarowe, Medic! and 6 others like this.
  15. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster
    SE Portland

Oh come on! The controls are simple, and the recoil is mild. I've see plenty of brand new shooters enjoy the 82A1.

Slobray and bolus like this.
  16. ob1

ob1
    46th parallel

o_OYour best option Ronnie...Register to vote now and don't vote for a Democrat or there won't be anything for you to legally buy when you turn 21.

Ura-Ki, Slobray, The Heretic and 2 others like this.
  17. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

A vote here for a shotgun.

Get a Rem 870 and customize it to your hearts content until you hit the big 21.

Carry a knife and know or learn how to use it in self defense. Your young and healthy so you have a leg up on most of the folks here just by being spry;). (Plus you should know how to fight with a knife even when you have a gun on you - they aren't the end all's that they are made out to be.

Best of luck and good for you trying to be a responsible gun owner.

Jnarowe and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. billdeserthills

billdeserthills
    Cave Creek, Arizony

You can move to a Firearm Friendly state like Arizona, I bought my first handguns at age 16, private sale, off the books.

Ura-Ki, Joe13 and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  19. billdeserthills

billdeserthills
    Cave Creek, Arizony

You can buy a Brand-New AR-15 for under $600

JohnnyD, Ura-Ki and Joe13 like this.
  20. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster
    SE Portland

You can get a bargain AR for a hair under $600, but a Mini-14 can, and will run circles around it. Cleaner action, lower iron sights, just as versatile if not more so.