JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"She'll still pursue legislation to close so-called loopholes that allow gun sales without a background check, or to some people with domestic violence convictions."

What exactly are those loopholes?
The loophole meaning we are not under 24/7/365 surveillance. How else could anyone prevent anyone from freely doing whatever they desire.

The first step is having those post SB941 firearms on the books and a record of the original purchaser who is now ultimately responsible for the future sale and transfer of that firearm.

Pre SB941...well, those are off the books and out of their control.

Captain Obvious over and out :)

Shes a snake in the grass, just like anyone who wants to get paid to sit in an office and "look out for other peoples interests", lies they want a position of power and then to pass laws that dont effect them. we have enough laws and government. Let's enforce the current laws and remove old nonsense laws making it even easier to enforce current laws. But that makes too much sense.

IMO they just want us to think we are free and clear this time around so we won't write letters, protest, show up at hearings, etc., so they can cram it down down our throats without any embarrassing hassle. Either that or Bloomberg's check hasn't cleared yet.
Chances are most of us are always vilgilant and we will always writy letters, protest and show up at hearings like we've always done. If they think we will go quietly they are mistaken.

Do you have any idea how difficult it was resisting an urge to blast an "EFF YOU A**HOLES, I WILL NOT COMPLY" out all over the Internet at the end of writing [EDIT: yesterday, 1/11] morning's column?

Last Edited:
One could hope. I don't even know why the OSP even gets to conduct background checks being as useless and inefficient as they are when NICS is faster and more efficient. I've seen too many people get delayed indefinitely on gun purchases like being stuck in limbo because the OSP can't do their jobs and they never get a call back.
Yes, that's what she calls her "loophole". It's a safeguard, not a loophole. Her answer is HB2237: https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2017R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/HB2237/Introduced. She would indefinitely suspend the sale if the OSP can't or won't do their job.
Here are the rest of the gun bills filed in Oregon so far: Oregon gun bills for 2017

Here's my advise, if you are getting a delay from the OSP, call them and ask what the problem is.
Then take the time and expunge your record.
It's can be a pain and a couple of hundred dollars, but it's worth it. You don't need a lawyer, everything can be done either online and/or through the mail.

I definitely won't rest easy with this 'news' from Gov Kate. It may be that she doesn't want to waste all of her time in this next session fighting pro-gun groups like they had to do when SB941 was passed - go back to 2015 and you can see how much effort it took for them, with the majority firmly in hand, to even get that bill passed. Many would say that gun owners in Oregon are apathetic to the whole thing, and I think many are, but many are very willing to get involved - call, write, show up, protest, testify, etc. Even with a majority, they have to invest a lot of time to at least make it appear that they are being 'fair' in the process. And now this year, you have a brand new Republican Secretary of State, one that won't just roll over and do what they want - he sees any hanky-panky going down and he's going to drop the hammer (at least within the limits of his office). Plus Richardson is now breathing down the neck of Gov. Kate - he's one heartbeat away from the governorship - and if things get rocky for Kate over the next 2 years, I wouldn't be surprised if Richardson doesn't run again, and beat her next time.

That said, take no rest. If no mag bans come through this year, then those that haven't been gathering them up get at least a short reprieve. Don't say you haven't been warned. Ammo, mags and all sorts of boom sticks - get them now, while the getting is good!

Just remember, the fight isn't over, it will never be over - remain vigilant and don't trust your politicians.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top