JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The College I work for doesn't like it, but the law / Oregon constitution gives no option. They can restrict EMPLOYEE's from carrying while at work as part of the employment contract, but they cannot restrict some one from carrying TO and FROM work, even while on school property. The other angle that if they ban firearms they are entering into a serious liability issue for failure to protect employees, students, and visitors. They then would have to rely on local law enforcement to respond to a armed incident or arm the Public Safety (Security) Officers...in the case of the College I work for the President would rather close the school before there would be armed officers on her campus.

Been a while since my chl expired. I kinda recall them saying that once u have a chl that it must be concealed and not open carried. Always wondered if that was true.

Your CHL is a license to conceal, you can OC without a license. you can ride a bicycle without a license...when you obtain a license to operate an automobile, do you loose the right to ride a bicycle?

Read ORS 166.250(3).

Because if there was an active shooter situation the guy with the badge gets it in the face first. Just sayin' *I* wouldn't do it.

I do not like the fake badges...but if there is someone OC , there will be no "active shooter". They will NOT shoot the person that is OCing. they will leave and find another target that cannot respond. If someone wants to shoot a cop (It happens occasionally) because they are mad at them, they may specifically target a cop, but they do not shoot that cop because he is Ocing.

It is an urban legend that anyone the OC's will be shot first. OC is a DETERRENT. You OC because you want the BG to know you can protect yourself...and most BGs are lazy chickens, do not want the possibility of being hurt, and will actively avoid someone that is OCing. You don't think so? Show me the news article where anyone has been attacked that was OCing? (cops don't count because they will be attacked because they are cops, and representatives of the "authority" also don't quote the totally debunked as "never happened" that false report from Milwaukee)

I do not want an "element of surprise", I do not want a confrontation at all. I much prefer OC for it's deterrent effect,

I open carry from time to time, mainly depending on how I'm dressed since I can't stand IWB carry.

I attend PCC and have a CHL. Was stopped today by security (no cops) for the open carry. Apparently a student had seen it, felt endangered, and called. Now they have no grounds to bar me from open carry on campus, and they knew this, BUT they brought up the option of trespassing me for "reprehensible academic climate".

Seems the school would allow them to trespass me for create a 'less than desired' academic environment while still staying within the open carry/chl law?

I'm going to dig through the different laws and see about it, but is there anyone with any ideas?

Yes, I could conceal it, and normally do, BUT I do tuck my shirts in from time to time....and no jackets in the warmer weather.

They cannot trespass you if you have a legal right to be there...which you do because it is public property. Tell them to "write me up" and we will see who pays whom, after the federal civil rights law suit gets done with their PERSONAL little hide. Yes, you can sue them PERSONALLY in a 1983 law suit.

It is illegal to open carry in schools, read ORS 166.370. The exception is for someone licensed to carry a "concealed handgun". That is not a license to open carry. It is a licensed to carry concealed. It is my understanding Oregon has allowed communities to ban open carry. If you are in a community that has such a ban you may only carry concealed with your CHL.

It is illegal to open carry in schools, read ORS 166.370. The exception is for someone licensed to carry a "concealed handgun". That is not a license to open carry. It is a licensed to carry concealed. It is my understanding Oregon has allowed communities to ban open carry. If you are in a community that has such a ban you may only carry concealed with your CHL.

You should re-read if that's your comprehension, or speak to a lawyer. Like another member has stated, the op was not doing anything illegal. The fact that some of us in this community would throw him under the bus for his open cary is ludicrous and downright disrespectful. I cant believe that dude who went on his rant, about open carry. That my friend is how we will continue to loose rights, because you are too meek to stand up for what is right for fear or not assimilating!

-LazerblazeR

Been a while since my chl expired. I kinda recall them saying that once u have a chl that it must be concealed and not open carried. Always wondered if that was true.

unfortunately I had to destroy my bicycle, once I got my driver's license and an automobile I'm no longer allowed to walk or bike as a form of transit.....

That is incorrect. The exception is a person who is licensed to carry. not someone who is concealed carrying. the execption refers to the status of the carrier, and not the actual mode of carry.

You have a reading comprehension problem don't you? If you have a CHL in Oregon, you can carry in any manner you wish. If you do not have a CHL, or a hunting or fishing license or meet another exception you can ONLY OC. (ORS 166.250(3) and ORS 166.260).

Open carry is the default "right", CC is the privilege.

No need to get insulting. The law states that carrying on any kind is prohibited with exceptions. The exception is as provided by 166.191 and 166.192 which address concealed carry and not open carry.

No need to get insulting. The law states that carrying on any kind is prohibited with exceptions. The exception is as provided by 166.191 and 166.192 which address concealed carry and not open carry.

Please read ORS 166.250. Pay particular attention to ORS 166.250(3)...what does that say? Oh, OC in a holster and this section DOES NOT APPLY (.250 is prohibitions to carry a CONCEALED weapon).

There are two things in law you need to know...If something is not SPECIFICALLY prohibited, it is allowed. There is nothing in ORS 166 that says you cannot OC.

However, though it is unnecessary, There IS something specifically stated in ORS 166.250 that states those that choose to OC are NOT bound by the prohibitions in .250.

Now I have a problem with what you wrote. ORS 166.191 and ORS 166.192 Do not exist? So were you talking about 291 and 292? (the licensing and issue requirements for a CHL)

If you read them everything is "Conceal" and "Concealed" in .291 and .292. Why? because you DO NOT need a CHL to Open Carry a firearm in OR. You do, however, need a CHL (or meet an exemption in.260) to conceal a handgun in OR.

I support your right to open carry at a school in the same way that I support your right to show up at the school wearing nothing but a pink Speedo, knee-high white vinyl go-go boots and a feathered boa. The fact that you have the right does not automatically mean that it is wise or socially acceptable to excercise the right at a particular time or place. If you choose to open carry at a school you cant complain about the negative attention that may result from that choice, especially in light of recent events involving guns in schools. I'm not saying that its right, but it is what it is.

Quick question....Does anyone know if the Oregon Appeals Court decision (Brian Ward vs State of Oregon Decemeber 2008) that made your car a "public place" been repealed...because that court ruling dealt a serious blow to open carry in Oregon.

I support your right to open carry at a school in the same way that I support your right to show up at the school wearing nothing but a pink Speedo, knee-high white vinyl go-go boots and a feathered boa. The fact that you have the right does not automatically mean that it is wise or socially acceptable to excercise the right at a particular time or place. If you choose to open carry at a school you cant complain about the negative attention that may result from that choice, especially in light of recent events involving guns in schools. I'm not saying that its right, but it is what it is.

i see more people dressed like that in portland than i do carrying weapons. on top of that, conforming to the politically correct mantra of anti-gun liberals is why we are in the midst of loosing our gun rights.

Look at our society. Look at this thread. People have become so pussified. It scares me waaaaa, pink speed-o waaaaa. Bunch of pussies! Get over it. Stand up for your rights. No wonder were losing em. Ill open carry whenever and wherever (legally) I damn well please just to piss off you pussies. Deal with it...

Look at our society. Look at this thread. People have become so pussified. It scares me waaaaa, pink speed-o waaaaa. Bunch of pussies! Get over it. Stand up for your rights. No wonder were losing em. Ill open carry whenever and wherever (legally) I damn well please just to piss off you pussies. Deal with it...

And as I stated in my post, I support your right to OC even if I might personally question the wisdom of your choice in regards to where and when you excercise that right. If that makes me "pussified" then so be it.

Send an e-mail to the folks at the OFF. They have some good people over there who can probably help. Kevin Starrett recommended a particular lawyer who specializes in firearm law to my brother when he had some issues with law enforcement and he ended up coming out pretty unscathed, minus a few dollars.

And as I stated in my post, I support your right to OC even if I might personally question the wisdom of your choice in regards to where and when you excercise that right. If that makes me "pussified" then so be it.

I was generalizing, just happened to use a few words from your post. And we are (being) pussified....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top