JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
17. Failure to comply with the following rules regarding firearms and weapons:

a. The use, carrying, exhibiting, or displaying of any weapon (as defined by Oregon Revised Statute 161.015), or facsimiles thereof, is prohibited on or in College facilities, except as provided by Oregon law or when approved by College administration for official College activities.

I would imagine this should probably be a thread ender.

but theres the 'except as provided by Oregon law' which would allow a licensed individual to carry. They weren't disputing whether I COULD carry, but the fact that my carrying openly scared a student.

Just a thought here..... Why not when you are dressed in such a manner just wear one of the stupid conceal carry license badges on your belt.

The badge..... <broken link removed>

Just pull the wool over the eyes of the sheeple lets say. Anyone walking past wouldnt think twice that you're not a cop. Like I said just a thought.

If there is an active shooter situation, the guy with the openly displayed gun gets it in the face first. Followed by anyone wearing a "tactical" vest. The badge is not the threat.

Concealed carry gives you the element of surprise. Perhaps a smaller carry piece for summer weather is in order.

.... and those look more than a tad on the "wanna-be poser-ish" side.

That's why I said stupid. but if he were to only wear it when needed (open carry/dressed up), it would elieviate the freak out of the other students isnt that what brought this subject up. I myself dress to fit how I carry not the other way around, so it is always concealed.

Why open carry on the school campus to begin with? There are places where it won't be a big deal but others where you will get unwanted attention. If you have a CHL then conceal the doggone thing. It never ceases to amaze me that folks will OC and then wonder why they got all sorts of unwanted attention. If you want the attention then more power to you but a school campus probably is going to get you the wrong kind of attention.

I agree with this post, you have the right, but, do you want to be known for having a weapon on you?? I'd rather conceal carry, that way IF there was a situation where you needed to protect yourself, and or others, the perpetrator would REALLY be surprised. I'd rather it NOT be known i have a weapon on myself, than advertise it. Low key, can be a HUGE advantage in your favor. But, if you decide to continue open carry, go all out, get a t-shirt, with this embezzled on the back/front " I have a gun".

Coming from a guy who concealed carried to PCC and PSU for 6 years, every day with a fullsized glock 22, hot OR cold, I can honestly say I sucked it up and made it work. I dont know why, but it really bothers me when people open carry, ESPECIALLY on school grounds, or anywhere near school grounds. But its my right blah blah, what ever happened to being part of society? Society is the conglomeration of everyone living and working together. That said, most people dont like guns, dont wanna see them, and are get easily spooked - and with good reason! Just look at all the eff'd up school shootings and crazies that kill people all over the world...why broadcast you have a weapon and freak people out? I will NEVER understand it. Element of surprise - gone. Freak people out - for sure. Its your right - yes, but honestly, I concealed full sized glock every single day at school in the summer. Adapt and overcome. No need to freak people out.

End of rant.

On a side note, I think for me at least, the die hard 2nd amendment'ers bothers me just as much as the gun grabbers. "But its mah right gerd dermit, to carry this here piece anywhere's I please!" Like the yahoo's after sandy hook that carried their AR's throughout Portland. God that drives me nuts and gives the rest of us unwanted publicity.

While both Oregon and Federal law forbid people from being on school property with firearms, concealed handgun license holders are exempt from both laws. Oregon statute 166.370 forbids firearms in "public buildings" which schools are, but subsection B says"this section does not apply to:... (d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun." As we have said elsewhere, if you have a chl you may carry unto public school property.
Probably just conceal it. Even so if its printing and you are asked to leave, ou need to leave, or the will and can charge you with criminal trespass. That apples to any business that posted r not if the see a gun and ask you to leave you should comply. But don't believe what I said I never took ny law classes.

Noooo .... what I've said twice now is that if you don't mind the attention then go for it. Personally, if you have the ability to CC then why garner the attention?

You could probably say it 2 more times and it is still not going to get through. I know individuals who carry in the same location, carry concealed and keep their mouths shut. Never had an issue. Just because you can, does not mean it is a good idea.

The way I dress is dictated by how I want to carry and which weapon I want to carry. But I will always have a concealed weapon on me and nobody will ever know.That is the general idea in CC.

You could probably say it 2 more times and it is still not going to get through. I know individuals who carry in the same location, carry concealed and keep their mouths shut. Never had an issue. Just because you can, does not mean it is a good idea.

The way I dress is dictated by how I want to carry and which weapon I want to carry. But I will always have a concealed weapon on me and nobody will ever know.That is the general idea in CC.

I carry a Government 1911 with shorts and a t-shirt, no printing :)

Why open carry on the school campus to begin with? There are places where it won't be a big deal but others where you will get unwanted attention. If you have a CHL then conceal the doggone thing. It never ceases to amaze me that folks will OC and then wonder why they got all sorts of unwanted attention. If you want the attention then more power to you but a school campus probably is going to get you the wrong kind of attention.

Unless you are taking some media classes and want to make better videos than that schmuck down in Beaverton? that's always on you tube.

You probably knew you would get hassled in the first place. Kinda makes the gun community seem like they are looking for confrontation.
YMMV

Unless you are taking some media classes and want to make better videos than that schmuck down in Beaverton? that's always on you tube.

You probably knew you would get hassled in the first place. Kinda makes the gun community seem like they are looking for confrontation.
YMMV

Or those d-bags in Medford. Is it legal to carry your AR on your back? Sure. Is it a good idea? Debatable. Will it get you attention? DARN RIGHT IT WILL.

but theres the 'except as provided by Oregon law' which would allow a licensed individual to carry. They weren't disputing whether I COULD carry, but the fact that my carrying openly scared a student.

My reply to this post didn't include any Oregon law citations on purpose. I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that you can under Oregon law with a chl oc or cc a firearm on school property. I only posted the relevant academic policy that says as a student you are not allowed to carry your firearm on campus without proper permission from the school. A policy that you agreed to when you registered.

If you don't like the policy then work on changing it or like most people on here have said, cc and don't tell on yourself. Good luck.

Let me offer my 2.5 cents as a Public Safety Officer for another Community College. They CANNOT trespass you for the firearm, they can ask you to leave and then trespass if you do not leave within a reasonable time (define reasonable?). They can cite you under a Student Code of Conduct Violation for "Disrupting the Learning Environment" or "Creating a unsafe learning environment" in that you scared another student. Code of Conduct hearings are ADMINISTRATIVE not judicial. Depending on what the college has listed as punishment in the Student Code of Conduct they can fine you, suspend you, expel you, etc. Usually they will SUSPEND you for a period of time determined by the college. I know of students at my college who are suspended indefinately until they obtain a Mental Health eval, etc. Suspending people is what colleges love to do because it establishes conditions that YOU have to meet before you can return...expulsion can lead to civil rights violation lawsuits because the college denied you your right to an education... my advise keep the weapon concealed, remember the Sheriff can revoke your permit at anytime, you may get it back eventually but it could take awhile and alot of legal fees.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top