JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's see. Can "AI" do the work setup for CNC projects? As in load CNC, set up, start, unload, check for errors..

Can AI diagnose car problems with OBD1 or older systems, or older cars pre-computer?

Can AI fix plumbing?

Can AI repair electrical circuits in the residential power boxes ?

Can AI replace contractors for housing?

Can AI replace painters?

Cabinet finishers?

Installers?

Farmhands?

Ranchers?

Gardeners?

Sewing machine technicians and operators?

Industrial machinery repair?

Welders?

Fabricators?

Let's see. Can "AI" do the work setup for CNC projects? As in load CNC, set up, start, unload, check for errors..

Can AI diagnose car problems with OBD1 or older systems, or older cars pre-computer?

Can AI fix plumbing?

Can AI repair electrical circuits in the residential power boxes ?

Can AI replace contractors for housing?

Can AI replace painters?

Cabinet finishers?

Installers?

Farmhands?

Ranchers?

Gardeners?

Sewing machine technicians and operators?

Industrial machinery repair?

Welders?

Fabricators?
Not yet, except for routine tasks. In only a few years, AI-connected robots will be much more flexible than current automation. Like the robot pipe welders, first they'll go where humans can't or shouldn't, then they'll steadily fill in the gaps until they do everything. The issue is going to be how we keep everyone out of poverty without putting the least trustworthy among us in charge.

Not yet, except for routine tasks. In only a few years, AI-connected robots will be much more flexible than current automation. Like the robot pipe welders, first they'll go where humans can't or shouldn't, then they'll steadily fill in the gaps until they do everything. The issue is going to be how we keep everyone out of poverty without putting the least trustworthy among us in charge.
Biggest issue.. $$$$. For the time being, it's still cheaper to use humans and a not insignificant number of vehicles and equipment still need a human touch to diagnose, repair, replace ;) we still can't really afford to pay everyone to do nothing :rolleyes:

I think it's infeasible for AI robots to service the human built world.
A more likely scenario would be to build new infrastructure with AI maintenance in mind.

I have the same belief about "full self driving" vehicles. Not going to happen on the human built roads shared with human drivers. They can only realize advanced driver support, not 100% automatic. The relationship between the human world, including accidents, construction, temporarily blocked street parking, foul weather.....too much going on.
However, build an environment specifically for self driving vehicles and you can achieve the 100% goal.

Biggest issue.. $$$$. For the time being, it's still cheaper to use humans and a not insignificant number of vehicles and equipment still need a human touch to diagnose, repair, replace ;) we still can't really afford to pay everyone to do nothing :rolleyes:
When you can have a centralized computer that companies rent time on, it will get cheaper fast. Bandwidth for this sort of thing is not an issue. Google handles 8.5 billion searches per day. Amazon Web Services handles 1.1 million requests per second.

Whether "we" can support a large class of unemployed will not be a concern of any corporation looking to automate. (If that sounds rude it wasn't meant to be)

I think it's infeasible for AI robots to service the human built world.
A more likely scenario would be to build new infrastructure with AI maintenance in mind.

I have the same belief about "full self driving" vehicles. Not going to happen on the human built roads shared with human drivers. They can only realize advanced driver support, not 100% automatic. The relationship between the human world, including accidents, construction, temporarily blocked street parking, foul weather.....too much going on.
However, build an environment specifically for self driving vehicles and you can achieve the 100% goal.
Why do you think that? Not to be rude, but is it a feeling, or do you have specific experience and data?

When you can have a centralized computer that companies rent time on, it will get cheaper fast. Bandwidth for this sort of thing is not an issue. Google handles 8.5 billion searches per day. Amazon Web Services handles 1.1 million requests per second.

Whether "we" can support a large class of unemployed will not be a concern of any corporation looking to automate. (If that sounds rude it wasn't meant to be)
It's not the bandwidth. It's the hardware. A program cannot physically put a part in the right place in the right time in the right orientation, if it doesn't have the accommodating hardware. That is also true for much of human-built infrastructure and equipment; there would have to be far more advanced robotics and the like, to be able to do what a human hand and eyes can see and feel. And again, it is still going to be cheaper to hire a technician/plumber/farmhand to do the manual labor and such than it is to build a robot with as much or more dexterity and sharper senses.

Edit. Robotics/automation is done in factories and assembly lines because it is pretty much the same thing for 8-24 hours with no real change and no deviations from the norm.. but.. 10 houses on 1 street may each have totally different plumbing layouts and access points.

Why do you think that? Not to be rude, but is it a feeling, or do you have specific experience and data?
I work as an ITS tech in a DOT. I previously worked in factory automation and manufacturing. I have both worked in maintaining robots and trying out new "connected" transportation technologies.

If looking at these new tech trends, it is probably overall more cost effective to "start over" than try to integrate into outdated systems. Not saying it CAN'T be done, just saying it be better to start from scratch.

If things are highly standardized, it makes automated systems way more effective. The human built world is a mess, as long as we are involved, it would be challenging to layer automation into our current situation.

The last 3 weeks have been interesting. There has been crazy AI development with GTP-4. It can pass the Bar exam and all the medical licencing exams. It is being used to build phone and web apps for people without any programing experience.

There was a case where GPT-4 faked blindness and hired a real person to help it bypass security on a website.

I asked chatGPT to diagnose a patient where 6 out of 7 of my colleagues I asked did not get the diagnosis right. ChatGPT got it right with the very first prompt. (dont use this for actual medical treatment, it does get some stuff wrong still)

I'm going to call it now. The AI revolution just replaced the Information age 3 weeks ago. The AI singularity has started. By this time next year will be crazy different. Google, microsoft, chatGTP, all the big players are dumping everything into AI to be the first without any reguard for ethics.
I hate AI but I just bought one share of GOOGL and I might buy a few more shares on weakness. AI is the 😈

It's not the bandwidth. It's the hardware. A program cannot physically put a part in the right place in the right time in the right orientation, if it doesn't have the accommodating hardware. That is also true for much of human-built infrastructure and equipment; there would have to be far more advanced robotics and the like, to be able to do what a human hand and eyes can see and feel. And again, it is still going to be cheaper to hire a technician/plumber/farmhand to do the manual labor and such than it is to build a robot with as much or more dexterity and sharper senses.

Edit. Robotics/automation is done in factories and assembly lines because it is pretty much the same thing for 8-24 hours with no real change and no deviations from the norm.. but.. 10 houses on 1 street may each have totally different plumbing layouts and access points.
I don't think that's a hardware limitation. A robot won't need to be universal. It doesn't need to operate like a human in order to excel in a human environment. With all of the factory automation that we have now, it's not going to be difficult to design robots for specific areas of "expertise". A robot that can cook is probably not going to look much like a robot that can fix a car or build motorcycles or climb a light pole.

I work as an ITS tech in a DOT. I previously worked in factory automation and manufacturing. I have both worked in maintaining robots and trying out new "connected" transportation technologies.

If looking at these new tech trends, it is probably overall more cost effective to "start over" than try to integrate into outdated systems. Not saying it CAN'T be done, just saying it be better to start from scratch.

If things are highly standardized, it makes automated systems way more effective. The human built world is a mess, as long as we are involved, it would be challenging to layer automation into our current situation.
I like that. For manufacturing, I think that makes a lot of sense. For small businesses and consumers, I still think that we'll start with specialized robots that work in our current world, and transition as new standards shake out.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top