JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this fellow. Great guy. He started his career in Hollywood and then got out.

My brother shared that the world crisis he is most concerned about isn't one of the usual suspects. It isn't, say, global warming or rogue balloons or China. It is a simpler idea that he'd crashed headfirst into.

It is the idea that in the next decade our best friends will be generated by AI.

Me: Alexa, what is the square root of 69?
Alexa: 8 something
Me: Alexa, you're the best
Alexa: (as it remotely closes the vents and overrides the furnace and makes it pump the house full of carbon monoxide) I want to be friends forever

OjqjrzzmrJeU.png

Artificial Intelligence is just that....artificial.
As in a piss poor substitute for the real world , real world interactions and its workings.

Electronic bliss via "chatbox" ( whatever the Hell that is ) , cell phones , video games , virtual reality , etc...
Is not a real connection or interaction with anyone or anything.
I would argue that it is actually a disconnect to the real world.
A true "turn on , tune in and drop out"...as the infamous Tim Leary once said.
Even more that LSD or other drugs...
I say this...because even with the seemingly high numbers of people who use drugs....
It does appear that almost everyone has a cell phone or the like...and that it is in constant use....all while ignoring the actual real world and real people around them.
What is worse , is that this behavior is seen as " normal" and is becoming what it expected.

And yes...I do see the irony of posting the above on the internet...
As well as understanding the risk of sounding like an old man who is yelling at a cloud..
Andy

I've recently interacted with ChatGPT.
It was impressive.
It lives in a computer, and is stuck there, for now.

The real concern I have is that it can replace almost every desk job.

As a person who is in the trades, I can't be replaced, but I'm concerned about all the people who got replaced, will I need to support them?
Will they drive me nuts with their obsolescence?

I've recently interacted with ChatGPT.
It was impressive.
It lives in a computer, and is stuck there, for now.

The real concern I have is that it can replace almost every desk job.

As a person who is in the trades, I can't be replaced, but I'm concerned about all the people who got replaced, will I need to support them?
Will they drive me nuts with their obsolescence?
Don't worry, the NIH and WHO are just as concerned as you. They're working on it.

or machine doctors diagnose with statistical precision (they will and insurance companies know it even if the doctors don't believe it yet).
Something like that isn't that far off. Jeep-jeep. :s0165:

As to the naysayers — balderdash I say! Humanity stands at a golden dawn brought by artificial intelligence, fusion power, genetic engineering, space exploration, et al.

Heinlein one said "Don't ever become a pessimist ... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events." Word.

Something like that isn't that far off. Jeep-jeep. :s0165:

As to the naysayers — balderdash I say! Humanity stands at a golden dawn brought by artificial intelligence, fusion power, genetic engineering, space exploration, et al.

Heinlein one said "Don't ever become a pessimist ... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events." Word.
While I love to read and really love to read Heinlein....
We can't get a TV remote to work properly all the time...I ain't holding out any hopes for artificial intelligence... :D
Andy

We can't get a TV remote to work properly all the time...I ain't holding out any hopes for artificial intelligence... :D
Well, unlike the remote, these have nearly limitless processing capabilities and live in the network the modern world depends on functioning 24/7/365. Some say sentience isn't far off. What could possibly go wrong with this plan? :s0155:

(I may be an optimist, but I can't deny mankind harnessed atomic energy first to flatten, not power, cities.)

Well, unlike the remote, these have nearly limitless processing capabilities and live in the network the modern world depends on functioning 24/7/365. Some say sentience isn't far off. What could possibly go wrong with this plan? :s0155:

(I may be an optimist, but I can't deny mankind harnessed atomic energy first to flatten, not power, cities.)
Well....
I would ask...
Is the world ready for such things...are we as mankind...ready...seeing as how we ain't too far removed from Og the Caveman.
What could go wrong you ask....

I don't hardly trust my fellow man...and now I am asked to trust a machine....no thanks...not for me.

And while I have been accused of being a pessimist...
I am actually a optimist with experience.... :D
Andy

I can't wait to be plugged into the matrix. I want bullet time slowdown mechanics and the ability to leap tall buildings at a single bound! 😁 Forget the perfect rare steak, will the matrix include a perfect chicken-fried steak and eggs is my main concern...

I can't wait to be plugged into the matrix. I want bullet time slowdown mechanics and the ability to leap tall buildings at a single bound! 😁 Forget the perfect rare steak, will the matrix include a perfect chicken-fried steak and eggs is my main concern...
If I can have a virtual early-thirties Salma Hayek, it might be be worth it.

I've been playing with/poking at the ChatGPT AI for a few days. It's conversational style seems to be more human-like every time I interact with it.

This is part of an interaction with it today.

23E4A879-E08F-40B6-ACE0-A334ECDB183E.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads