JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
at the least, when such polarizing characters as O. North are in public office, the opponents of such can better mount an attack, which so far, most often, is met with increased support by those otherwise ill-focused on infinite varieties of their own notions, who need some kind of strong tide to rail against, instead of each others nits........

You can't make this up. We're busy trying to make firearms more mainstream and enjoyable by the masses, and the NRA makes a 74 year old convicted felon their president.

Lt. Col. Oliver North to become NRA president, organization says

Ollie illegally sold weapons to the Iranians.
Ollie diverted the proceeds of said sales to drug smugglers in Central America.
Ollie was indicted for 16 felonies and convicted of 3.

You could stack up all of Ollie's lifetime achievements and he should still have been disqualified for the three facts above. The NRA voters are brain dead if this was their best choice. Once again, celebrity wins over substance.
Could not agree more. This does not seem like a good choice for the leadership of the NRA.

Sold weapons to Iran...let that sink in for a minute.

Could not agree more. This does not seem like a good choice for the leadership of the NRA.

Sold weapons to Iran...let that sink in for a minute.

HE didnt sell weapons to Iran. The US Government sold weapons to Iran. North was the fall guy/ patsy/ guy following orders. He just took one for the team.

Last Edited:
HE didnt sell weapons to Iran. The US Government sold weapons to Iran. North was the fall guy/ patsy/ guy following orders.
Understood. He followed orders and did what he was told. (Not a good defense but ok) However, he remains a controversial figure in recent US history. Maybe not the best choice for these difficult times.

Leaving all Iran Contra controversies aside, does anyone here have any issues with the fact that Oliver North at one time actually supported an Assault Weapon Ban? I am on another gun forum where they are talking about it. I actually could care less about all the political crap and actually think Oliver North probably was doing the right thing by helping overthrow the Sandinistas and fueling the conflict between Iran and Iraq. Some may or may not be bothered by it, but Oliver North also supported the Waco raid.

Imgur

It states in this article that Oliver North supported an "Assault Weapons Ban" and stated that anyone who wishes to possess such weapons should join the Marine Corps. Of course, I guess if questioned he will say he has a whole new viewpoint on the issue now. However, his history of supporting an Assault Weapon Ban and being a high level government position when he supported it, should mean he should never see the light of day in any board of director position in the NRA, much less the President of the NRA.

Leaving all Iran Contra controversies aside, does anyone here have any issues with the fact that Oliver North at one time actually supported an Assault Weapon Ban? I am on another gun forum where they are talking about it. I actually could care less about all the political crap and actually think Oliver North probably was doing the right thing by helping overthrow the Sandinistas and fueling the conflict between Iran and Iraq. Some may or may not be bothered by it, but Oliver North also supported the Waco raid.

Imgur

It states in this article that Oliver North supported an "Assault Weapons Ban" and stated that anyone who wishes to possess such weapons should join the Marine Corps. Of course, I guess if questioned he will say he has a whole new viewpoint on the issue now. However, his history of supporting an Assault Weapon Ban and being a high level government position when he supported it, should mean he should never see the light of day in any board of director position in the NRA, much less the President of the NRA.

I can think of a lot of stuff that the President of the United States once supported now doesnt so he could get elected. People change and their views evolve based largely on whatever it takes to get into a position of authority. Happens . All. The . Time. As long as they don't backslide I'm cool with that. Even Ronald Reagan was a New Deal Democrat at one time. I'm guessing North can stay on script.

The only problem with that is the Iranians and Iraqis worth the killin' were sittin' pretty in palaces raping pretty young women/girls that were snatched off the streets, and feeding people to caged big cats just for their own amusement.... not the parasite infested, malnurished, toothless, illiterates who were in the trenches.

o_O

Don't hold back man

I can think of a lot of stuff that the President of the United States once supported now doesnt so he could get elected. People change and their views evolve based largely on whatever it takes to get into a position of authority. Happens . All. The . Time. As long as they don't backslide I'm cool with that. Even Ronald Reagan was a New Deal Democrat at one time. I'm guessing North can stay on script.

Did Ronald Reagan ever become pro-gun? In fact, Ronald Reagan and George Bush were two of the greatest champions of our first "Assault Weapon Ban", even as Republicans.

Before Trump's wild shifts on the NRA, Ronald Reagan took on the gun lobby

On May 3, 1994, Ronald Reagan and two other former presidents sent a letter to House members, urging them to support a controversial ban on lethal, military-style assault weapons. At the time, President Clinton was battling Republicans, conservative Democrats and the NRA to pass a bill barring many semiautomatic rifles.

Clinton needed all the help he could get it. He got it from Reagan, who still carried great weight in the Republican Party, as well as Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter. Their letter, in part, read:

"This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons."

If you are using Ronald Reagan as an example of a bad politician turned good, I don't think that makes me feel any better about Oliver North. Of course, I am hoping Oliver North had a major change of heart and his zeal and track record as a patriot will be used in a way to help defend our 2nd Amendment rights. I can only hope.

Did Ronald Reagan ever become pro-gun? In fact, Ronald Reagan and George Bush were two of the greatest champions of our first "Assault Weapon Ban", even as Republicans.

Before Trump's wild shifts on the NRA, Ronald Reagan took on the gun lobby

If you are using Ronald Reagan as an example of a bad politician turned good, I don't think that makes me feel any better about Oliver North. Of course, I am hoping Oliver North had a major change of heart and his zeal and track record as a patriot will be used in a way to help defend our 2nd Amendment rights. I can only hope.

No. Reagan and Bush never were pro Gun. Something that I like to point out too whenever anyone gets glassy eyed about the Gipper. I don't know of any President, current one included , That has ever been pro gun. My point was more that just because a politician, or public figure such as North, say something 30 years ago mean that they actually meant it at the time and that it was a guiding principle for them going forward. Power and bags of money can change a mans public outlook.

You throw me a couple of million bucks , a cushy gubmint job with a great pension and I'll start teetotalling, stop womanizing and I'll say whatever the hell you write on the script.

A convicted felon leading the NRA. I know he was later released of those charges in 1990. That doesn't change the fact he was running guns to south America without congressional approval. I question this move by the NRA.
My kinda guy:eek:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top