JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I though of that. I'm on social media. I'm hooked on it. I come here everyday. Well, most days. THIS kind of social media is a completely different thing, IMO. A discussion forum is more like a group of people in various rooms having a variety of conversations. Moving from room to room, getting to know about those within the rooms. The crap spewed on twitter is more akin to talking to yourself. We have rules in our forums that prevent nut jobs from coming in and stalking members. I don't think what we have here could be considered in the same vein of that twitter crap I just read in any way, shape or form.

Should people on twitter that behave like that psycho did be watched? Put on a list? It's disturbing.

Yet, here we are discussing what was posted on twitter.

Just another, larger game of telephone.

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was....

Just another criminal scumbag loser making excuses for his vile criminal behavior. No one to blame but him. He still did it and no one forced him to commit this heinous crime. Don't worry though Governor Inslee will feel bad for this filth and pardon him. He is a liberal after all. Pathetic.

Cowards will always be cowards and always try to shift blame from their own behavior. In the end he murdered an innocent person and blames others. Sounds sadly like a lot of democrats who always blame others. What trash he is. But no need to worry. Governor Inslee will take pity on him and pardon him. It will just take a while. Imagine how fast it would happen if he identified as an alphabet and was illegally in the country. Liberals are vile.

As I have said, we are a minority. The same mechanisms used to stereotype other minorities are used to stereotype us.
Yes, we are a minority. Gun owners are 43% of the voters here in Oregon. There are about 1.3 million gun owners in Oregon, and about 3 million voters. But only half of all voters, including gun owners, bother to vote. So about 850,000 non-gun owners vote in most elections. If we could get even 80% of gun owners to vote we would win every election. Think about that the next time someone in the gun community tells you "It's no use to vote, don't waste your time. Shall not be infringed!"

Conversely, I had a coworker who often said he had nothing against owning guns himself, he just didn't want anybody else to own guns. There are certainly a number of people who want to restrict guns that fall into that category.

I was so surprised and disgusted the first time I encountered a young military man that owned a personal AR and opined that nobody should own ARs. WTF?

Evil people are the reason the rest of us actually need guns!

Except one doesn't think one is going to get shot by one's spouse, and if one did, one should have done something about it!

- instead, he fails to kill himself with a gun?

There are many many suicide "attempts" on the record... and using a gun for the try isn't a magic bullet. People often get the angle wrong, the bullet doesn't hit the sweet spot, etc. Gabby Giffords... just sayin.

For hell sake, you can't strike up a conversation with people on the street because they are so involved within their own minds, they don't hear you, or ignore you. Is it these same people that look and post a bunch on twitter?

If I was in Portland, or any city of size, I'd be very reluctant to speak to a person on the street... crazy mfers. But people do have social needs, which they think are being met by conversing with anonymous strangers... oh well. There are those that say that society is becoming removed from civility because of social media... I look at comments on news sites and would have to agree. Flaming seems to be a popular pastime. Kids break up via text, people ignore each other at family gatherings with their beaks stuck in the phone, sexting is rampant ( a new study indicates that 8yr olds are sexting :eek:).

Just another criminal scumbag loser making excuses for his vile criminal behavior.

I don't think so. He seems to have been hate filled! Murder is a hateful act. Suicide is hateful in that it leaves others bereft and cleaning up after the act. Killing the pets instead of rehoming them is hateful. And lastly, writing those tweets is an act of hate, an outgrowth of his hate for guns and for Trump.

Haters gonna hate, but this case is extreme. He is the kind of person that would shoot up a school or a bunch of those deplorable Walmart customers!!!

But people do have social needs, which they think are being met by conversing with anonymous strangers... oh well.

Having Aspergers and being an introvert, my social needs are mostly satisfied by requiring people to leave me alone. I am fine not having social interactions with people. I spend most of my time alone, even when in the company of people.

That said, I do get some enjoyment interacting with people online instead of face to face - the latter can drain me, especially in large groups.

Being half deaf doesn't help - it makes it worse - it isn't that I can't hear people, it is that I often cannot understand what they say, which is stressful - which is one reason I prefer online interaction.

There are those that say that society is becoming removed from civility because of social media... I look at comments on news sites and would have to agree. Flaming seems to be a popular pastime. Kids break up via text, people ignore each other at family gatherings with their beaks stuck in the phone, sexting is rampant ( a new study indicates that 8yr olds are sexting :eek:).

People are just being themselves online - instead of being artificially polite.

OTOH, it is also easy for people to misunderstand others online - or for them to subconsciously/intentionally misinterpret others.

Besides online interaction usually being less stressful for me, the fact that people tend to be more forthcoming about their emotions online usually makes it easier for me, as having Aspergers makes it hard for me to pickup on social cues in FTF interactions. I have grown accustomed to trying to remain objective and polite in response (which sometimes aggravates trolls all the more) and recognizing the different clues to the different personality types over time.

Online interaction also gives me time to collect my thoughts and respond appropriately.

I would say twitter etc. are designed around advertising/consumer profiling and use psychologically addictive methods to keep people engaged, clicking, and seeing ads. Forums like this were primarily designed around discussion, sort of an outgrowth of usenet or BBS services -- forum advertising was an afterthought. In these newer social media sites, discussion is an afterthought tacked onto a system for ad serving.
This.

All of the anti-social media exists for data mining and advertising opportunity. Take those away and it dies on the vine. Forums such as this use advertisements strictly for supporting the forum and would happily run on donations only if that were possible. Push any of those sights to run a significant amount on donations and set up a Monthly Donation Goal bar on them and see how long they last.

Except one doesn't think one is going to get shot by one's spouse, and if one did, one should have done something about it!
It will be interesting if there is anything more reported about this person, such as any previous problems, reported issues etc.

The initial story didn't have anything with regard to this.

Leftist logic....blame the NRA (an organization) and a gun (inanimate object).....for what HE DID.

There is NO NEED for personal responsibility in this new world.

Why not just claim that.....
Everything BAD that happens, is a result of......
Satan.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Having Aspergers and being an introvert, my social needs are mostly satisfied by requiring people to leave me alone. I am fine not having social interactions with people. I spend most of my time alone, even when in the company of people.

That said, I do get some enjoyment interacting with people online instead of face to face - the latter can drain me, especially in large groups.

Being half deaf doesn't help - it makes it worse - it isn't that I can't hear people, it is that I often cannot understand what they say, which is stressful - which is one reason I prefer online interaction.

People are just being themselves online - instead of being artificially polite.

OTOH, it is also easy for people to misunderstand others online - or for them to subconsciously/intentionally misinterpret others.

Besides online interaction usually being less stressful for me, the fact that people tend to be more forthcoming about their emotions online usually makes it easier for me, as having Aspergers makes it hard for me to pickup on social cues in FTF interactions. I have grown accustomed to trying to remain objective and polite in response (which sometimes aggravates trolls all the more) and recognizing the different clues to the different personality types over time.

Online interaction also gives me time to collect my thoughts and respond appropriately.

Right...

Oh well, we all have some kind of cross to bear. People with Azzburgers are not known for politeness, they are often blunt. Therefore, I might have it myself!! ;)'

My point was that on places like Twitter and the comments on news sites, the anonymity allows people to behave inappropriately. That's beyond being yourself. It is purposeful and sometimes nasty. I have also noticed that email allows me to express things to people I know that I would not dare say to them in person... that is really not a good thing!!!

conversely, in groups such as this forum, we may not ever meet each other physically, yet after a number of contacts with each other we have developed a kind of relationship. And there are rules and mods that keep people somewhat in line.

Even YOU have a need for social contact, just not in person. As you wish...

(Edit: BTW, I am also an introvert and I am one with a moderate to high level of social anxiety. But I've learned there is a diff between the two. Introversion just means that people wear me out and I need quiet time to recharge and that I am most comfortable in settings that don't include a lot of people stimulation. Being alone or quiet recharges my batteries. In extroverts, being at a party or being around people recharges their batteries and gets them going. But I still have needs to be social, which I satisfy by being here, as well as by visiting close friends.)

Last Edited:
I just read the post/fox news blurb and I noted that every one of the killings was done by a human who happen to use a gun of some kind. Maybe we can ban hammers and screwdrivers as they kill more people (see FBI stats) then guns do. Or cars! Cars kill (and are used to murder!) far MORE people than guns do! I would also note what the killers were, but was told not to accurately call them by their political persuasion as that was not nice.

Leftist logic....blame the NRA (an organization) and a gun (inanimate object)
Kind of the reason I thought the MSM would capitalize on the guy tweeting the NRA - maybe to blame them in a backward, roundabout way such as 'Well if the NRA did not exist he would not have had them to contact and he may have not committed this crime'
Or something to this effect - just a thought.

Conversely, in groups such as this forum, we may not ever meet each other physically, yet after a number of contacts with each other we have developed a kind of relationship. And there are rules and mods that keep people somewhat in line.

You, and many others here, say things I want to say so much better than I can. :s0155:

You, and many others here, say things I want to say so much better than I can. :s0155:

You do just fine IMO. I've often thought the same about you. I guess we all have our moments.... I just wish I could express myself in writing as well as I used to be able to.... after all, for years I made my living writing Home Inspection reports. Unforutunately, diabetes has taken my clarity of thought. And probably some diff between technical writing and expressing one's ideas in some kind of coherent effort.

What the hell?! Anyone who harms an innocent is an evil person. Anyone who brings to his own family ... I am at a loss for words. Well, appropriate words. Here's hoping he is tried, convicted, and spends his remaining days locked in a cage. :mad:

Kind of the reason I thought the MSM would capitalize on the guy tweeting the NRA - maybe to blame them in a backward, roundabout way such as 'Well if the NRA did not exist he would not have had them to contact and he may have not committed this crime'
Or something to this effect - just a thought.

I just don't think it works here. If the guy had a lifetime NRA membership and had tweeted "molon labe, welfare check at ____", THAT would get blown up by the media. They could talk about how the NRA (as a proxy for gun owners) is evil and something needs to be done, blah blah blah blah blah. However, this guy is one of their own -- on their side -- and he did something everyone considers evil, wrong, and horrible. The media isn't going to hitch its wagon to that imagery.

I just don't think it works here. If the guy had a lifetime NRA membership and had tweeted "molon labe, welfare check at ____", THAT would get blown up by the media. They could talk about how the NRA (as a proxy for gun owners) is evil and something needs to be done, blah blah blah blah blah. However, this guy is one of their own -- on their side -- and he did something everyone considers evil, wrong, and horrible. The media isn't going to hitch its wagon to that imagery.

However, they almost always spin and leave out the truth! You think they are more leary of getting caught at it today?

One thing we have going for us is that the Drooling Masses have the attention span of a gnat. This wasn't of sufficient magnitude to remember much of anything for more than 10 minutes.
This phenomenon can also work against us if the DMs forget all the lies and treason from Team Progressive for the last 3 years.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top