JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always look at traffic stops as a situation where I'm dealing with someone who is potentially stressed out and who is armed and ready for any situation good or bad . I dont know his training or mental state. I am not going to burden the officer with unnecessary information that is not germane to the traffic stop. "Here's my documents. Do whatever you want with them." sort of thing. "Thank you, have a nice day.". Ive never talked my way out of a ticket and adding discussion about facts that have nothing to do with my driving arent helping me get on my way faster.

It's not ok I'm my eyes. Manipulating a weapon like that for no reason just adds more room for error (nd). Even if all he does is unload it. You're in the car. What if something was to happen and you needed the weapon you protect yourself. But it's all disassembled?

Not certain why so many of you seem to think that they know you have a carry permit when they pull you over. I drive a company car that has no ties to my name or carry permit. Sometimes I drive my sons truck---registered to him, so again no ties to my name. Quit spewing false facts until you run them through your processor and come up with a few different scenarios.

My feeling was maybe he recently had a bad experience & just wanted to take any uncomfortable feeling away for "him" as it definitely didn't make me feel comfortable. I will not let this 1 incident change how I interact with Leo's in the future I just felt a bit disrespected by this 1 occasion.

Sounds that way to me, too. The only time I've ever had remotely similar was back in the mid '80's. My wife, son, and I were returning home along some deserted country road in SE Idaho. I was doing 65 in a 55 zone and came around a corner and past a Deputy Sheriff headed the opposite direction. I saw his brake lights come on so I pulled over to the side of the road to wait for him. When he came up to the car, he stopped by the rear window behind me- which was down as it was a summer evening. So I put my hands out my window to put him at ease. And that was when my 5 year old son pipes up with "It's just a toy gun, please don't shoot my Daddy" I immediately start grinning and bring a hand back in. The Officer was dead serious and told me to place my hands back out the window and demanded to know where the weapon was. My son showed him the little plastic shotgun he'd brought along and the ice was broken! I got off with a warning.

Same answer. In Oregon you are not required to tell the cop you are concealed carrying. By state court ruling he is not permitted to ask you if you have a concealed handgun on your person. He only can if he has a hard PC, (probable cause) to ask you. Without PC he can not ask.

He knows this. What I would do is contact my lawyer and have HIM write a nice legalize letter to the police agency involved. This will cost you probably a hundred bucks. Follow through with a written complaint against the law enforcement officer. THIS MUST BE DONE. Enough is enough.

Leaving your gun on the hood? That sucks. Destruction of legal personal property. Same as if he just stole your gun. If the complaint goes correctly and if you follow through with it two things will happen. The best solution is the bad cop will get an arse chewing and a bad letter in his file.

The second bad thing that may happen is that cop will be gunning for you. Yep. Depends upon the agency and how well you follow through with your complaint. Consider going to the next city council meeting and getting your three minutes in the public record. You MUST carry through.

This is not so much about getting mad or even but following through with your responsibilities as a law abiding citizen. Bad cop. He has no business being a bad cop. If others who may or may not have been victimized by him also follow through he will be fired. The system does work. Slow.

The only time I have been in a situation like this I was not carrying me and my brother had a friend pick us up and drive us home from a bar in Tacoma he was carrying we were stopped after leaving the bar PROBABLY LOOKING FOR DRUNK DRIVEING because his reason for the stop was we drove over the curb lol WE DID NOT but he told the officer he was picking us up DD and gave him all the info and the cop asked where is the gun he said in a holster on his right side cop said ok keep your hands on the wheel check the I D of all of us and we where on are way no problems this was over 20 year's ago

I don't think he was a bad guy..........I am impressed that he knew enough to field strip the weapon. These guys are constantly indoctrinated about the danger of a weapon they don't control in there proximity. I think his actions were more comical than unreasonable.
Maybe but let's be honest here just because he can field strip a gun don't mean he should. It's a problem more chance for a accident He can't go around field stripping every gun he comes across . I'm willing to bet I know more about different gun's than most cops AND I PROBABLY FIRE MORE ROUNDS PER YEAR THAN MOST he's better off leaving your gun in your holster and nobody touching it during a traffic stop

Last edited by a moderator:
"Get out of here before I get thing back together."

;)
It doesn't make sense to field strip the gun take the mag out clear the gun put it away in your car if that's what you think is the right thing but taking the gun apart don't make sense. he should have told him put it back together lol well I can't do that we have a armmer at the office that fixes my gun DUH

It doesn't make sense to field strip the gun take the mag out clear the gun put it away in your car if that's what you think is the right thing but taking the gun apart don't make sense. he should have told him put it back together lol well I can't do that we have a armmer at the office that fixes my gun DUH
Or to be a little more polite...
"I can get this thing back together in 8 seconds."

;)

Maybe but let's be honest here just because he can field strip a gun don't mean he should. It's a problem more chance for a accident He can't go around field stripping every gun he comes across . I'm willing to bet I know more about different gun's than most cops AND I PROBABLY FIRE MORE ROUNDS PER YEAR THAN MOST he's better off leaving your gun in your holster and nobody touching it during a traffic stop
That is exactly why I was impressed that he could do it. Most cops are terrible shots and shooters. We would occasionally shoot against teams of them when I shot on the Washington National Guard team and again in Utah and Germany. Most were lucky to know where the sights were.

I'm not saying that all LEO are like this but you might run across a few I am positive that most of the guys and girls that are on here know more about guns and different kinds of guns than most LEO but they don't know who you are and what you know when they pull you over .AND FOR THE GUY WHO THINKS THEY DON'T KNOW YOU HAVE A C.P.L. when is the last time you been to Canada .if they pull you in for a inspection crossing the border THE CANADIAN COPS KNOW YOU HAVE A C.P.L.

I have only been stopped once in the last 20 years. Illegal U turn. My fault, I saw the sign an did it anyway. I handed the lady LEO my CHL along with my DL. She handed it back and simply said, "I don't need this unless you plan on pulling it out." I replied, "no ma'am, I won't be doing that." Got off with a warning.

There have been a gazillion threads about whether to advise the LEO that you have a CHL even though the Oregon statute does not require you to like some other states. I emailed the Washington County Sheriff's office and asked them what they would like us to do. They acknowledged that informing the Officer is not required under Oregon law, however, they would appreciate it if you did as a courtesy. I thought about me leaning over to the glove box to get my registration and they see my holstered gun. They don't like surprises and neither do I.
So, I will continue to inform the LEO if I am stopped again, hopefully it will be another 20 years before that happens.

I have only been stopped once in the last 20 years. Illegal U turn. My fault, I saw the sign an did it anyway. I handed the lady LEO my CHL along with my DL. She handed it back and simply said, "I don't need this unless you plan on pulling it out." I replied, "no ma'am, I won't be doing that." Got off with a warning.

There have been a gazillion threads about whether to advise the LEO that you have a CHL even though the Oregon statute does not require you to like some other states. I emailed the Washington County Sheriff's office and asked them what they would like us to do. They acknowledged that informing the Officer is not required under Oregon law, however, they would appreciate it if you did as a courtesy. I thought about me leaning over to the glove box to get my registration and they see my holstered gun. They don't like surprises and neither do I.
So, I will continue to inform the LEO if I am stopped again, hopefully it will be another 20 years before that happens.
That's what I would think too better to be up front about it like my friend did here's my license my insurance and my C.P.L. and I have a gun on me .

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top