JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious if anyone else has ever been pulled over for a minor traffic violation while concealing & wanting to do the right thing tells the Leo I am concealing a firearm as I have a concealed permit. What happened next surprised me...... He then asked me where it was, opened my driver side door & removed my firearm from below my seat & set I on the hood of my car in the pouring rain. After a few minutes he decided he wasn't going to cite me because in his words(I'd been so cool with him). He then picked up my firearm ejected the clip, unchambered it & then proceeded to remove the pin to remove the slide. After this he then dropped the pile of metal on my lap & said have a nice day. Never asked me for it had no reason to feel threatened. This was the 4th or 5th time I've been pulled over while carrying, this I feel crossed a line. Would like to hear others opinions.

I've had worse treatment after telling the officer about my weapons, concealed or otherwise several to many times, before a cop told me that he didn't want to know. He told me it was just one more reason he didn't need to feel paranoid about me in the first place :eek:
As a result, I no longer advise the officer of my 'armed' status. Anyhow my ccw comes up on the cop's screen, so chances are pretty good they already know. If the Man asks I'll gladly divulge and I have been informed to keep my hands away from my pockets, after letting the cop know that is where my gun(s) and knives are
I like to leave my hands on the steering wheel, in plain sight, it seems to comfort cops

Time to buy a dash cam. One that can face you upon a traffic stop.

Not that anything that happened here was bad, just something I recommend to anyone who carries and drives.

He's just trying to live up to what he thought he was in highschool when his friends would cheer when he locked some kid in a locker.

They know you have a conceal permit when they pull you over. You dont need to tell them anything.

I don't believe you are"required" to tell the LEO so keep it to yourself. What he did was for his AND your safety. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sounds good to me. If he was really worried he'd have called in the serial number to make sure it wasn't stolen.

Maybe he felt it could use a cleaning.

I don't believe you are"required" to tell the LEO so keep it to yourself. What he did was for his AND your safety. I wouldn't worry about it.

removing the magazine? yeah ok. safety whatever.
disassembling the slide and dropping it onto his lap? no, not ok. that's something some highschool punk would do

If that is how it really went down, that is Total amateur hour.

I can assure you all nothing like that is taught at the academy.

My attitude was always, "treat everybody as if they have a gun all the time." It avoids silly encounters like the one described. But as you see, all cops are different.

My standard response to folks who want to tell me about their concealed weapon is. "Let's just keep it right where it is. If I don't see yours, you won't have to see mine."

Sorry you had a negative encounter. I think his supervisor would find your story a teachable moment if you are inclined to do so.

Last Edited:
I can assure u my gun is as clean as they come...... I just received info from an attorney who is the biggest name in defending self defense & conceal carry cases & according to him he had no right to ask if I had a firearm in the vehicle & he broke the law breaking down my firearm without cause. I take this with a grain of salt as it was passed on through a friend. But he is not one to exaggerate. The whole ordeal just seemed a bit rediculous & I think it warrants a complaint with his superiors.

Sounds good to me. If he was really worried he'd have called in the serial number to make sure it wasn't stolen.

Maybe he felt it could use a cleaning.
they know you have a CHL before they get out of the car.

im not a lawyer but IIRC had the OP not given the LEO his gun, he had no PC to ask if there was a gun in the car and he cant call in the serial number because he doesnt have the PC to do so. the reason for the stop was not about the gun and he did not have reason to believe the OP was about to commit, committing or committed a crime.

although the courteous thing to do is tell them(and i always do), we dont have to if the stop has nothing to do with a gun. we have rights.

Glad I'm not the only one who felt this crossed somewhat of a line. Every other encounter I have been treated with nothing but respect. I have the utmost respect for law enforcement and what they do & am always nothing but respectful. Thinking this was an isolated incident. ThNk you all for your input.

"This was the 4th or 5th time I've been pulled over while carrying, this I feel crossed a line."

Very odd.

Just wondering how many other members here have been pulled over 4 or 5 times while carrying?

Sounds like there is more to the story.

There definitely isn't more to the story. I am an avid outdoorsman & carry 24-7. I used to have a gsxr750 which 3 of the 5 encounters occurred while riding minding my own business. If there were more to the story I probably wouldn't have a ccl nor would I have just had it renewed. I Haven't had a ticket or another encounter with police in over 10years.

I'll simply echo the sentiment that this crossed the line...

My only interaction with police while carrying occurred over the summer, when I was involved in a fender bender. Hillsboro police were on scene to make sure everyone was ok, ran our licenses and that was that.

The officer didn't ask, I didn't offer... That's the way it should be. We, as CHL holders are not a threat...

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews