JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's be a tad bit more precise... when a LEO runs car tags through the system they'll know (maybe) the registered owner may or may not have a CHL/CPL.... anyone could be driving that car.

They won't know until they actually have your personal ID. ;)

removing the magazine? yeah ok. safety whatever.
disassembling the slide and dropping it onto his lap? no, not ok. that's something some highschool punk would do

Maybe. I've had them want to know where the gun(s) are. I've had them want to have possession of the guns during the stop. I've never had them disassemble a gun. It is over the line IMO, but I could just as easily assume that it made the LEO feel safer - but it was stupid IMO.

if you felt like ruining this guys day i would have got the dudes name and reported it. IA would have been all over this
dont take my posts the wrong way. im all for LEOs and do what i can as a citizen to make their already hard job easier... i do have a problem with crooked ones though
It's like you're a brother from another mother....

OP:
First, I wouldn't have said anything to the officer outside the scope of the subject at hand.

You should report this regardless of whether you have his name or not- they'll figure it out. Report it to a supervisor or sergeant and request a follow-up phone call. There is a chance this was just a good officer having a bad day; but there's also a chance this is a bad cop that will only become more emboldened to abuse the public he's sworn to serve. If he's a bad cop the paper trail needs to be started.

The ball is in your court right now.

Last Edited:
I have never been Pulled over while carrying ever and i have been carrying for long time

fact I have never been pulled over in over 40years

First, I wouldn't have said anything to the officer outside the scope of the subject at hand.

I say almost nothing, especially nothing that can incriminate me, and I have had LEOs try to get me to do that. I just say "sorry, no excuse" and repeat it until they get the idea that I am not going to say more. Want to know why I am speeding? Not going to say. Want to know if I saw the yellow/red light? Not going to say. Why didn't I signal? Not going to say.

They have heard every excuse in the book before anyway. Give me the ticket, I will pay it, and move on with my life - LEO can get on with his/her day.

I was pulled over for 70 in a 60 zone a few years back. I told the LEO I had CPL and was carrying. He asked where it was and told me to leave it there. He ran my license, came back and gave me a verbal warning.

I think he appreciated the respectful interaction: Hands on steering wheel upon approach, windows open, "yes officer, no officer" etc. Perhaps my retired Mil ID which is on top of my drivers license in my wallet played a part.

While anyone can have a bad day, respect given upon the initial interaction seems to help in my experience.

One of my favorite comedy clips points this out well:

That's the elephant in the room. People, for whatever reason, have been made to feel that they are doing something shady or covert (in the back of their mind maybe) by carrying. I could not agree more - permit holders are not a threat. The part about field stripping the gun, I agree, was odd. I hope it was because he wanted to make sure he did not get a bullet in the back as he walked away, but it sounds like he was "marking his territory" and it crossed a line.

People who carry legally are the most law abiding demographic out there. LEO have nothing to fear, just the opposite. If they ever need any help before backup arrives, it's gonna be someone with a CHL that will save them.

In Oregon there is no duty to inform a LEO that you are carrying is there? I know in Washington state there is no duty to inform. I was pulled over by a Whatcom county sheriff up in Birch Bay since the posted speed was 40 mph and I believe I was going 45 mph, Just turned my pickup truck interior lights on and keep my hands on the steering. The deputy asked for my license, registration and proof of insurance. He ran my drivers license probably saw I had a CPL but the conversation never came up. Always tell the truth to a LEO but do not say you are carrying unless you have a duty to inform a LEO or the LEO asks are you carrying. If you have the duty to inform a LEO that you are carrying then I hand my CPL over as well. Traveling up to Canada, foreign countries, and doing cruise I leave my gun locked in my safe. Unfortunately I still have family down in California so I have to visit sometimes. :(.

I'd say thanks and move on, glad I didn't get cited.

Then I'd make immediate contact with that department/agency, talk to the on-duty patrol/traffic supervisor and ask three specific questions regarding the field strip part of this particular catch and release:
W?
T?
and
F?

Last Edited:
Every occupation has their own slime buckets. They are extremely dangerous with a badge.

Years ago an altercation involving my daughter occurred in Pioneer square. As she was a minor at the time I was called to come pick her up. Originally thinking this was a thoughtful thing since she was more or less a victim as opposed to driving to SE Portland to unincarcerate her from Juvy jail where he said he would take her to sort things out if I didn't hurry, I dropped everything and drove in to pick her up. I shook the officers hand and thanked him for the call. Having remembered what I was doing before the call. I informed him I just came off the back forty mixing and spraying for bugs and in the hurry didn't think to wash my hands so he might want to.
YOU THREATING ME HE YELLED AS HE REACHED FOR HIS GUN.
Up against the car he shoved me and patted me down.
Long story shorter, after 20 minutes listening to him rag on while my daughter was crying in the back seat of his car thinking he was arresting me, he finally let us go.

From this and other encounters over six decades, for me, trust and respect are earned, (on an individual basis) does not come carte blanche just because you have a title or badge.
Until you know otherwise; When you stand before one who may think they are god with a badge, its best to follow lawyers advice, keep your mouth shut no mater how helpful you feel you are being, and bow low.

Ok so all of you questioning my driving habits & the reason I have been in the situations. Have no merit. It doesn't matter if I speed every day. Or fail to signal or my hunting rig tags are expired. None of that had anything to do with the 1 bad experience I had.

The agency I was dealing with which Is known to have some interesting police officers, was the Springfield PD. I was polite even at the end. Glad I wasn't cited for a fix it ticket. But will look into checking with his supervisor cause I do know his name.

I don't think he was a bad guy..........I am impressed that he knew enough to field strip the weapon. These guys are constantly indoctrinated about the danger of a weapon they don't control in there proximity. I think his actions were more comical than unreasonable.

Last Edited:
I have no idea how many miles I have driven since I first got my ccw. Got it when I was 21 and I am 65+today. I have been asked one time by our city cops if I was carrying and it was after being pulled over for a burnt out tail light. He said " it says when I checked your lic you have a ccw, are you carrying a gun?" I replied in the affirmative and nothing else was said. Probably 20 years ago.

I agree, he was polite as was I. I have never once disrespected any police officer. It's Possible some of you are correct & I should change my driving habits. But the fact is I have never ever had an issue in the past. My feeling was maybe he recently had a bad experience & just wanted to take any uncomfortable feeling away for "him" as it definitely didn't make me feel comfortable. I will not let this 1 incident change how I interact with Leo's in the future I just felt a bit disrespected by this 1 occasion.

I've pulled over folks with a CPL and been advised by them that they we're carrying, I only asked them where the gun was then asked them to keep their hands on the wheel during the stop. The Officers actions on your stop are curious though.

I've also been pulled over once while carrying and during that stop I did advise I was carrying, the Officer asked if I was going to shoot him, I looked at him funny and responded "No Sir". He smiled and said thank you for telling him and let me off with a warning.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top