JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I celebrated the last day of freedom yesterday by taking my daughter out to Salmonberry for her first time. Looks like I may have created a new enthusiast. So, eff you Oregon. You pinch my rights and I'm going to convert more disciples. My goal is to start as many people in the hobby as I can.

However, in the short term, I probably won't be buying anything and in the long term I would be buying less
Thus the reason for the law in the first place. It has nothing to do with public safety and everything
with trying to destroy the gun industry/ownership in Oregon

if the law stays in place
It will, for the above reason.

I agree. It'll take a year to show that 941 did nothing to stop crime. Salem doesn't care and is not interested in anything except getting reelected. so vote accordingly or quit your bubbleguming.

I've said it once before and I'll say it 100 more times. SB 941 was setup to specifically target straw dealers. Private sales allows a legal grey area to sell firearms to felons. The reason being that the seller is not held legally accountable for selling to a felon because there is no verification process to determine wether or not the buyer is legally able to obtain a firearm. It does logically make sense that before you put a firearm into the hands of someone they are legally able to own it. Just like its logical that before you are allowed to sell a car the buyer must provide a drivers license. However there could have been some logical amendments to the bill that would have allowed a CHL to the proper form of identification for purchase.

Just like its logical that before you are allowed to sell a car the buyer must provide a drivers license

You do NOT need a driver's license to purchase a car. Plenty of disabled or disqualified people legally own and register cars, and they employ individuals who have a driver's license to drive them.

The reason being that the seller is not held legally accountable for selling to a felon because there is no verification process to determine wether or not the buyer is legally able to obtain a firearm.
there has been a verification process, Oregon law requires the OSP to offer private background checks for private sales, its been a law for years...

the percentage of criminals who acquired their guns thru private sales is small and a tiny fraction of what's acquired thru straw purchases.

I've said it once before and I'll say it 100 more times. SB 941 was setup to specifically target straw dealers. Private sales allows a legal grey area to sell firearms to felons.
How does 941 prevent straw purchases?

941 has nothing to do with straw purchases, its a registration scheme and nothing more.

Don't fool yourself.:rolleyes:

The state police will be the ones enforcing this law, not the counties.

They will be out there running stings and if the person you sell to is an undercover state cop (or their agent - probably a felon to boot), you can count on at least going being arrested and going to court, probably some jail time too. There will also be a lot of bad publicity.

From what I know and someone correct me but 12 new officers were hired to accommodate the new flood of SB941 this is not just for private sales but at FFL when one fails that the story I was told via OSP.

I disagree because its very inexpensive and extremely easy to purchase firearms anonymously through a trust.

Disagree all you want. Birdick, Okamoto, Prozanskie, and the rest of the statist-loving progressive slimes in their camp DREAM of gun registration. Birdick is ON VIDEO stating as much.

As for the trust route, most folks are too intimidated by the process (I really don't know why because it's not that difficult, I have a DIY NFA trust that's legally sound), and with this route SB941 captures the most fish on the first cast. Just wait until those D-bags in Salem start polishing it up, as well as enact further legislation... it's coming.

there has been a verification process, Oregon law requires the OSP to offer private background checks for private sales, its been a law for years...

the percentage of criminals who acquired their guns thru private sales is small and a tiny fraction of what's acquired thru straw purchases.

How does 941 prevent straw purchases?

941 has nothing to do with straw purchases, its a registration scheme and nothing more.

OSP doesn't make it mandatory.
There are folks who don't ask for identification or verification from buyers. The primary purpose was to create a back channel to prevent future interactions with qualified buyers and non qualified buyers.

Prior to 941 if a felon had in his possession a firearm and it was traced back to a private sale there was no legal course of action to prosecute that person because the burden of proof is on wether or not the individual knew they were a felon. With SB941 being into law - there is no grey area. You're required to get a background check which prevents this murky point of contention of ask no questions and i'll tell you no lies.

Both parties "Do not comply" and nobody gets butt hurt

As close as stomper says "give them and inch and they take a mile"

I've said it once before and I'll say it 100 more times. SB 941 was setup to specifically target straw dealers. Private sales allows a legal grey area to sell firearms to felons. The reason being that the seller is not held legally accountable for selling to a felon because there is no verification process to determine wether or not the buyer is legally able to obtain a firearm. It does logically make sense that before you put a firearm into the hands of someone they are legally able to own it. Just like its logical that before you are allowed to sell a car the buyer must provide a drivers license. However there could have been some logical amendments to the bill that would have allowed a CHL to the proper form of identification for purchase.
Well you don't have to say it 99 more times because it's pretty obvious.
However, when we did lawfully sell guns to private parties in the past, it was up to them then to not be a felon or someone restricted to not own firearms.
It's called individual responsibility and if that person were found to be in possession of said gun, they would have to suffer the consequences and those slaps on the wrist hurt! so I'm told. lol
They'll still get guns, being criminals intent on serious crimes from the get-go.

OSP doesn't make it mandatory.
There are folks who don't ask for identification or verification from buyers. The primary purpose was to create a back channel to prevent future interactions with qualified buyers and non qualified buyers.

Prior to 941 if a felon had in his possession a firearm and it was traced back to a private sale there was no legal course of action to prosecute that person because the burden of proof is on wether or not the individual knew they were a felon. With SB941 being into law - there is no grey area. You're required to get a background check which prevents this murky point of contention of ask no questions and i'll tell you no lies.

And let me guess, black rifles are weapons of war and have no place in civilian hands and standard capacity mags are only for mowing down innocents?

If SB941 was to fix straw sales, why was it they refused to add CHL to CHL as legal . I mean after all both had background checks. But they refused to add that. Why ? because it would interfere with the truth that is registration. Removing SB941 may be real hard but perhaps trying to get a exception clause for conceal to conceal ? I do not know exactly how it should be written but why was it not added if all they were looking for was legal sales to be legal.? The dynamics are going to be different for sure.

It's called individual responsibility and if that person were found to be in possession of said gun, they would have to suffer the consequences and those slaps on the wrist hurt! so I'm told. lol
They'll still get guns, being criminals intent on serious crimes from the get-go.
I know where in about 1 hour i could find a gun that a felon would sell and I am not a felon or was ever arrested. To them it will be business as usual I do not see Sb941 affecting any criminals at all.

Well you don't have to say it 99 more times because it's pretty obvious.
However, when we did lawfully sell guns to private parties in the past, it was up to them then to not be a felon or someone restricted to not own firearms.

I think the intention was to cut a process in which they were obtaining them illegally. If an individual is providing a firearms to felons in a community but through a loophole is able to continue selling them without legal prosecution I find that somewhat of a problem. Of the all the guns I've confiscated from gang members they were all traced back to a small handful of enterprising individuals who took advantage of the ambiguity.

I know where in about 1 hour i could find a gun that a felon would sell and I am not a felon or was ever arrested. To them it will be business as usual I do not see Sb941 affecting any criminals at all.

I understand what you're saying but now when felons are caught with weapons, those individuals that chose to sell them those firearms without going through a background check can also be prosecuted unless it was prior to SB941.

I just love ignore:D:D:D:rolleyes:

I can tell by reading the replies that the progressives are here again, make sure ya'll thank them for sb941 and not being able to sell your private property without state registration.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR